1960 Plymouth Valiant build thread.

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Zathros, thank you for your encouragement.

Revell-Fan, I note your vote for blue green.

Last edited:

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
My color pallet for cars is simple, Red, White, or Black. any of those.

Mark Crowel

I'll wait and see if anyone else weighs in on the color tonight, then I'll pick a color tomorrow so I can start surfacing the model.

Last edited:

Mark Crowel

Hi Everybody, it's 10:50 AM, Eastern Time. I have this thread running on both Papermodelers and Zealot. So far, the color vote across both forums is:

Red: one vote
Turquoise: three votes
Blue: one vote
Burgundy: one vote
White: one vote
(I did not vote).

Looks like turquoise takes it. Time to photocopy the plan drawings onto the colored paper.
Attached Thumbnails
1960 Plymouth Valiant-scan_20200812-3-.jpg

Mark Crowel

Here are the pontoons with the surface sheeting and lights. I test-fitted the tail lights at an angle (canted), like on the real car, but they looked awkward, given the squared off shape of the end of the pontoon. With the way I build a car, I often am redesigning the car to fit my design and construction methods, according to what looks best on the model.

Surface sheeted pontoons..JPG

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
My sister had a '68 slant 8 Valiant (something in that line-up), it looked like a '68, 4 door Sport Fury. She decided that it was running hot, and proceeded to add a gallon of coolant. She drove to my house saying it was making weird noises and running really really hot. She poured the Radiator fluid into the engine oil cap. I drained this concoction, replaced the thermostat, put in fresh oil, and filled the radiator. I could not believe that engine started instantly and did not knock or show any signs of distress. She drove it for a few more years, then sold it, and got something newer (relatively speaking). Those slant 6 engines were incredible, and so easy to service. ;)

Mark Crowel

Yes, those slant sixes had a good reputation, and it was well earned. Another great Mopar mill: the venerable 318.

Mark Crowel

I have to redraw the side features on my surface sheets, because I failed to notice that the windshield and backlight (rear window) are of the wrap-around type. This changes side window features and door line placement. So I'm making corrections on my tracing sheet, then I'll photocopy new surface sheets onto colored paper.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
How about making an extra, no-color copy? Then those of us with a similar model could customize it.

My '62 was originally brown but the previous owner made a burgundy mix, which looks much better than the factory colors.

I have left the interior stock, and made no customization to the exterior, but I'm keeping the altered color.

Brandy.jpg

Sometimes a change in palate can actually work!

Mark Crowel

When I'm finished fixing the master drawing, I'll post a white copy. Thanks for showing your Lancer. I agree with Revell-Fan, that's a beautiful car.

Been busy with other issues the past several days, and I haven't made much headway on the model.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks!

That's the pics I took when I bought her several years ago.

Replaced head gasket, bought, but not installed, a new headliner and plan to dye the carpet. Its faded but too sturdy to dispose of. I have to replace the armrests and repair the door panels.

Right now, cleaning and sealing the gas tank.

its a twin to your Valiant (I also have an old restored Valiant, but its 5 years newer...).

Can't wait for the white copy. I'd love to build...my car!

Mark Crowel

Surface sheets are on the components, and the main body is assembled. The phony spare tire cover bulge (one of my favorite features of the '60 and '61 Valiants) was made by layering discs of colored paper together and gluing in place.

60 Valiant front.JPG

60 Valiant rear angle.JPG

60 Valiant top front angle.JPG60 Valiant top rear angle.JPG

60 Valiant top side.JPG

Mark Crowel

Axle holes were made with a 1/4 inch paper punch, visible in last photo. I can cover the roughness around the rear bumper slot with the bumper. No matter how carefully I try to build a model, my cars always come out looking a little rough. I'll admit I'm not all that great of a builder, but I love building my models, anyway.