Yard progress

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Will. Robin, I wish I could tell you more about the wheelstops, but I bought them quite a long time ago and removed them from their package, so I don't remember who makes them. A guess would be Cal Scale, or Miniatures by Eric. I do know Credit Valley carries them, so if you want some, I'd start there.

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val: Glad to see you have a man with a wheelbarrow cleaning up the litter. This is Toronto, you know!
Robin: the wheelstops may be by that place near Kemptville (can't remember the name, and mine are out of the package).

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Looks nice Val. I'm wondering, if you use Peco turnouts and are going to use their machine, shouldn't you have put the machines on the turnouts prior to laying? or are you using something like a Tortoise? If so, did you alter the click stop feature of the points on the Peco turnouts?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Gary, I have the Tortoise switch machine. I did not do any alterations to the Peco switches. I hope this won't be one of those unforseen problems. Actually, this is kind of crazy but the only reason I want to install switch motors is to power the dwarf signals. Maybe there's an easier way to do this..... one that I can do after the turnouts have been installed.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. :)

Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Did you drill a hole for the throw wire beneath the throwbar? Not much fun to drill up from the bottom and try to stop just short of the turnout! Tho its been done. Drill a small hole from the top down to see where the larger hole should be drilled then mark the depth needed on the drill bit with some masking tape.

The Tortoise machines key feature is it moves the points nice and slowly. With your unmodified Peco's the throw wire will build tension until it is enough to throw the turnout, with a snap action. May need to use a beefier wire than supplied.

Others may have some ideas I'm not aware of. As I see it, your choices are:

1 Drill up though the roadbed very carefully and use the Tortoise, live with the snap action, which is same as would be supplied with a Peco machine. The signals are wired to the Tortoise, no problem.

2 Just thow the turnout by hand, throw a toggle to operate the signals.

3 Pick up the turnouts and drill the hole for the wire, relay, and install the Tortoise as usual. While the turnouts are up, remove the little clip deals which engage the slotted rail bottom to allow slow motion movement.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Robin: re: Wheel stops. I think they're by Juneco. I had a brief hobby shop stop in St Catherines today but didn't see any.
Val: check if your points tension can be adjusted from the top. May depend on how old they are.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
An update on the switch machines. Interurban and Duckman (alias Chris and Brian) came over last night to help me wire the Tortoises. After looking things over we all came to the conclusion that for what I wanted to do, it was the wrong way to go. The thing is, I have Peco turnouts, which snap into position, and they are all readily accessible. The main reason I wanted the motors was to power some dwarf signals, but Chris showed me a much cheaper way to do this. So, I'll be returning the Tortoises to the LHS.

The good news is, we had a great visit, some tasty pizza, and a chance to run a couple trains. Chris suggested I lose the duckunder and sketched an alternate plan for the benchwork. He's right that now would be the easiest time to make the changes, so I'll be thinking about that, and working out how that would change my track plan.

Meanwhile, the yard will stay the same, so I can continue working on it, while I mull over the rest of the layout.

Anyway, thanks to Chris and Brian for a fun and informative evening! :thumb:

Val

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Val, always good to find a cheaper way. :cool: :thumb:

Chris is just a trouble maker, one visit and he wants you to rip up your layout and change it around. :eek: :D

Seriously, it is always nice when other model Railroaders come over, a different perspective on things helps.