Weekly photo fun 10/31/08

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
In an area still under redevelopment two trains pass through tunnels while another on the upper level glides under a passageway through part of the large unidentified industry/warehouse.... I need to solidify the whole building's concept. Windows? Signs...overall purpose! :)

IMG_0535.jpg

Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Charlie
Great proto shot! Cool shot of the National Limited!

Wayne
Cool shots of the covered wagons!

CN Nutbar
Nice Amtrak shot!

Jeffery
Neat shot!

Wayne
Cool Penn Central pics!

Charlie
Cool shot of the Broadway!

Cn Nutbar
Great photo!

Charlie
Love the snow shots!

Glen
Neat shot and tunnel!

Tom
Great Halloween layout shots!

Ed
Interesting shot!

Jeffery
Nice looking unit!

Charlie
Nothing better than a shot of a GG-1 even if it is in that terrible all black scheme!

Csiguy
Nice Amtrak pic!

Shaygetz
Neat photo!

Doc Tom
Great shots!

Jeffery
Nice looking gondola!

Chessie4155
Nice looking passenger car!

Deano
Great looking loco!

Ralph
Cool looking layout area!

Charlie
Neat PC and NS shots!

L

lester perry

Tom I love it when I see that water tower. That salvaged a bad day, thanks
Les

WReid

Jan 26, 2008
Kirkland Lake, Ontario
A couple of pictures on Ontario Northland ( ONRail ) power. I took these last year.

pic 1.jpg
SD40-2s #1737, #1735 & #1734. The lead unit #1737 is still in the old colors. It is looking a little worn and tired. Hopefully it will get repainted soon. All three units were built in 1973-74 and still are in service today.

pic 2.jpg
SD75I #2103 The new power bought a number of years back. The ONR has 6 of them starting at #2100. In this photo #2103 is one of the locomotives on last Novembers Santa Express. They have one on each end of the train as it has to run in both directions. The Santa Express make its rounds to most of the small towns here in Northern Ontario in November to give the kids a train ride and to get a visit from Santa. The kids get to sing Christmas songs and they all get a goodie bag when they get off the train.

Wayne R

WReid

Jan 26, 2008
Kirkland Lake, Ontario
Charlie

They normally use the new SD75Is for head end power on the Santa Express. Sometimes they use the SD40-2s but not very often. The second unit you see is a converted FB unit that has been modified to be a steam generator to supply steam to the passenger cars for heating. Pictured below.

pic 3.jpg

Other locomotives operated by the ONR are GP38-2s, GP40-2s. Up until a little while back they were still using some GP9s for yard switchers and I believe a couple are still in use. Also a few years back they were still running FP7s. Sadly they were retired a few years back and a few weeks ago they went to the scrap yard.

I actually have a large number of photos of ONR locomotives an equipement. I was modeling the ONR at one time but have since switched to modeling CNR steam in the late 1950s. I still have a couple of Athearn SD40-2s that are in the middle of a rebuild into ONR units. They are receiving new Cannon & Company fans, grills, cabs as well as a host of other detail parts. Sadly they have been of my work bench for a year now but someday they will get finished.

Lately I have been taking a lot more ONR pictures as one of the main ONR customers is on strike and the railroad is losing a million dollars a day in revenue. Seeing as it is a small regional railroad owned by the province of Ontario it is a big lose for them which has resulted in layoffs and rumors of another possible sale to the Canadian National.

Wayne R

WReid

Jan 26, 2008
Kirkland Lake, Ontario
Charlie

I never even thought about HEP electrical power when I was writing my reply. When it comes to modern passenger equipement my knowledge is a little rusty.:eek: :mrgreen: I am so used to the old equipement seen around here that is stem heated I tend to forget things have advanced a lot.

The prime mover is engine is gone but I believe there is a diesel engine in it as well and a generator used to supply electrical power. I guess it would make it a HEP unit. :mrgreen: The ONR has a number of these units and finding two the same is impossible. The one I pictured #204 used to be a MILW F7b. Most of them started of life as F7bs and one or two as F9bs.

Wayne R

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This was one of my favorite photo locations. You were close enough to get good pictures yet be out of the road and right of way both. Train speeds were slow also and no one bothered you. It is in Rochester, Pa just west of Conway yards.
A GP40, U33B and two C630s... now that's what "three-builder consist" means.

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Grain Terminal 2 - Overcast Day

Great pics everyone - we love looking at all these great pics.

I worked with my 10 y.o. son on the composition and lighting for this one. He weathered the hopper as well.

Attachments

• GrainTerminal 2 - Kaelan's car.jpg
    GrainTerminal 2 - Kaelan's car.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 15

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
A big "GERN Industries" sign would give that structure some purpose. ;)
Rebuilt_cars_scrap_loads_layout_views_and_GERN_016.jpg

100_5768.JPG

It could generate a lot of traffic for the Penn Central, too, even if there are no sidings actually serving that structure - just consider the siding(s) to be on the "unseen" side of the building. :-D:-D

Wayne

Packers#1

Ultimate Packers Fan
Jun 23, 2008
Aiken, SC
Hey guys, I've been gone a while, just never got around to posting here. Well, I've changed the road and have a history, roster, and frieght car numbering system for my new RR, the Aiken-Augusta Terminal Railway. I think I'm gonna model the Savannah River branch of it, so I built a "prototype" of the yard. the real yard will be several feet long. Here's some pics:
IMG_2232-1.jpg

explanationoftheyard.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

Doctor G

Sep 1, 2008
Clarksville, Tennessee
Pictures of "The action" in Stanleyville Tennessee 1929

Thought I would post a few pictures of the many activities in the summer of 1929 in beautiful downtown Stanleyville Tennessee. This special community is in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee on the "mainline" of the C&S RR.
Doc Tom

Attachments

• Checker Game Stanleyville.jpg
    Checker Game Stanleyville.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Climax at Stanleyville.jpg
    Climax at Stanleyville.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Green House Stanleyville.jpg
    Green House Stanleyville.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Shacks at Stanleyville.jpg