USS MISSOURI (BB-63)

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Rob,
I wouldn't have thought the difference in scale between Missouri and Yamato would produce such a difference in the length, but it is apparent looking at your photos on the Yamato board.

Looking forward to seeing the lower part added and the deck, then we get a great view of this monster! :lol:

Just curious (and I apologize if you've answered this already) but how do you laminate the templates to heavier stock for the formers? I used 3M 77 type spray and pressed the templates onto the card. I read some folk use a small roller to press it all together, but was curious how you did it.

Great build so far, Rob! :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

This is all I use, plus the super glue.

I have foud with some of the kits the formers are printed on cheap nasty paper with a shine to it and some glues don't like it. This stuff sticks to anything with no bother. I have used sprays and don't like them at all to much mess to start with.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Rob,
Looks like you've got a great start on that monster :lol: I'm looking forward to watching her take shape. By the way, where do you display/store such huge models?

Steve

PS Does anyone have any info on a 1/300 scale Missouri from Halinski :?:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Rob!

I think I will limit my use of 3M77 for laminating whole sheets and go back to the PVA for the smaller laminations. From my limited experience, using PVA on the smaller stuff is easier to work with, but the larger sheets seem to work well with the spray; it doesn't curl as much as with PVA.

Steve, Rob would probably be in a better position to comment in comparing it to the GPM model, but the Halinski (I think you are taking about an older kit at 1/300) has very basic details and printed features. Not too sure about the fit yet as I haven't started that kit yet. The paper and printing is similar to the older kits in that it is a bit rougher, cruder in texture and the print is not as bright and crisp as the newer kits feature. I reduced my scan to 1/400 to fit the scale of the other JSC models I have just to keep them in the same scale. At that reduction the basic features are less noticable, at least that's the way it looks to me at this unbuilt stage. Are you contemplating building that kit at 1/300? Should be a fun kit in any event, I think. :D
Hope this helps.

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Here is a photo of the laminated sheets for Missouri's main deck.
I did not include it in the other post as its a bad photo i thought there would be no intrest in it.

This 24 sheets of A4 0.25mm laminated four thick with the PVA shown.

No wrinkles bubbles or warps in it.
How I do it is to paste one sheet and lay another over half the pasted sheet, then another on the other half. So now you have two sheets ontop and one below. Then turn it over and do the same again, putting them together like a brick wall pattern.
Reason I do this is so the moisture from the glue goes evenly into the card.
Then I lay it under the building board for the model Iam doing. Thats why when I showed the photos before Missouri was on the small board, the deck was under the other.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Another monster build starts to take shape :lol:

The flash on the camera makes it all look all out of shape and the deck does not like the flash at all. Going to have to get home from work faster to get some photos in day light :lol:

To get to this stage has taken a bit of time as I have done most of the corrections now it should go faster now :D

The mid and upper deck are made with the one laminated sheet shown before when it sets solid you need to use a drill to cut holes.

Still having fun with this more tomorrow.

Regards

Rob

PS Barry note big board for Big Mo :lol:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
My oh my, she really is huge! :D

Glad you got the bigger board.
And so, where do YOU live now that she's taking up a good part of the house along with Yamato? :lol:

Nice hull lines, Rob. Great job on fixing the fitting problems.

Looking forward to more photos, of course. :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Jim

The fun part is Tennesse's hull sitting along side Big mo an Yamato,
Soon to be Arizona, Savage and Fuso with a B-17 hanging ready to bomb the lot :lol:

Anyone would think I have athing about big models :lol:

After I have had six months to clear my work room Ill post a photo of them on the display racks it looks like huge bomb has gone off in it most of the time :eek:ops:

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Looking good already Rob big board duly noted. Thanks for the tips I shall plod on learning to solder as I go, it's fun, when you learn nothing new it's time to leave the stage.

barry

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Thanks Jim,

Yes, that gives me a better idea of what to look forward to. I just picked one up for a reasonable price, but I think it will wait for a little while.

In the mean while, I will be following this thread with GREAT interest :)

Thanks again,
Steve

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

This photo shows how strong the lamination is.
Held by the bows with no support at all and it does not bend in any way.
When you think of the size of this thing thats no easy thing to do, hold still and take photo :lol:

The deck on this does not like the camera no matter from what angle you take the photos :roll:
Also its that big its almost impossible to get into one frame :lol:

More later

Regards

Rob

Ashrunner

Sep 26, 2005
Redmond, Oregon
I am really looking forward to see this model finished. I was on "Big Mo" just after Gulf War 1 when she stopped at Subic Bay on its return to the west coast. Then again when it stopped in Astoria, Oregon on its way to Hawaii for retirement duties. Magnificant boat in real life...should make a great model.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Rob, great photos! :D

Takes not only a steady hand but a real strong arm to hold that big boy out there like that...Good Show! :lol:

That lamination of multi plies really is strong, Mate. Did you find you needed to shave the top of the formers at all to account for the plies added to the deck, or was the final thickness within the spec height when all was said and done?

I have to say that deck really shows off her unique and sleek lines so very well.

She's looking better and better. Great job!
:D
Jim

j77ason

Sep 3, 2004
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie here, but I have been "around" for quite some time just looking.
I am also in the process of building a 1/200 detail scale model of thw USS Missouri, however my model is based on a Flymodel kit dating back some 15 years and is in shatter camoflage as this ship was in the Pacific War.
I am also building another model of the Cerberus, Breastwork Monitor in Australia about 1880's at about 1/100 scale with a full hull, based on The Model Shipwright kit.
I have some pix of my Missouri warship model and some others I have built, of other detail scale models, which I will look up and post here.
My models differ from yours because I "remodel" the kits and rebuild my way with much stronger hulls and superstructures with revolving guns and so on - a) because I live in a hot, humid climate and thin card easily warps here b) because ALL of my models are built by me for detail 3D static scale or Radio control - working, in the water (ships, warships submarines) and redesigned by me to come apart at the waterline (so the join is hidden).
More later on my techniques if anyone is interested.
J77ason

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Wow! :shock:

That's one big ship you've got there, Rob! And looking very good as well. :)

AJ

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

First Arizona then Yamato and last Big Mo :lol:

All parts on Yamato are removable until she is rigged. :roll:

Jim
All parts are laminated out to the right size with just the resin based PVA shown.

Jason
Would love to see your work post away!!

More later

Regards

Rob

j77ason

Sep 3, 2004
Hi,
I am building the GPM NR.34 model of The Missouri at 1/200 scale with the shatter type camoflage - using the kit as a guide, but building my model "my way", much stronger and designed by me for static scale or radio control. Black & white photocopy, which I build in 3D and paint myself using acryllic paints. I have still to complete the pom poms and single smaller guns, put on railings hand built by me, crew and bits and pieces........model looks impressive, especially with the camoflage which, as with all of my models, is razor sharp and accurate, but I have found that the lower hull is out of alignment with the upper part of the hull and I have had to make corrections as I went along to correct this.
My model has main and secondary turrets which all pivot on nylon tubes with johnson cotton bud sticks ( the bit in between the cotton buds) and I am wondering if I should mount the Pom Pom's to turn as well.
I have detail scale plans of the Missouri by Novy at 1/100 scale and I am also amused to notice that the platforms which the Pom Poms are on appear to be inaccurate. They don't have the "nose", in the plans I have, rather, the platforms are straight across - so I've remodelled my Pom Pom platforms that way - instead.
I am also amused, that in my kit, GPM seem to have forgotten to include the props.
I have pix and will send them in for you to all have a look at
My Supermodel based model of the Bismarck at 1/200 scale, has a similar type of camoflage, has ALL guns turning, even the minor stuff - that was hell on wheels to build.
J77ason