USS MISSOURI (BB-63)

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just started tonights build, so just a quick up date for now.

The first photo show the size the missing hatches should be ( this is not beeing fitted just for scale). Looked at the kit again and not a one to be seen. So I will have to make and fit them as I go, there is a lot of the things. :shock:

The other photos just show the first of the superstructure to be made.

More later

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Rob

I think that's described as a silk purse out of a sows ear no less. If you waterproof it looks big enough to get you accross the Mersey, but no singing about ferries.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Bit more done :roll:

The first photo shows the second deck almost complete, at the top of the photo a strip of card can be seen sticking out.
This is to bend round the last gun sponson, all the sections in the kit for the bulkheads except the first bit with the most port holes does not fit at the bend points marked. Not beeing a computor wiz I made a white card strip of the right width, started at one end and bent it to shape around the deck. Then scanned it and put this into paint shop to colour. Then added it to the new kit Iam putting together with the changes made.
Just got to punch the port holes in the right places now as the kit does not have any at all for this deck :shock:

With all the problems this kit has its only for the kit bash crew and Iam having a lot fun with it, I like this sort of thing to get the grey stuff going :lol:

More soon

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Rob

Any way that works I'm still trying to get the hang of my new printer/scanner. \your way gives excellent results.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Only a small amount done tonight (work :cry: )

Two decks fitted and bridge started, the upper works will not be glued down until nearly the end.

The line down the side of the hull is undercoat to remove a black line from my printer and cover the joint.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
That's a heckuva model, Rob! :shock: At that size, we might have to start calling it a replica! :lol:

AJ

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi AJ

From bow to stern she comes in at 1mt 35cms, its a big beast alright. Great fun building her, sortting out all the bits to fix Iam learning from it which can't be a bad thing!!

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Looking real good, Rob!! :D

Looking at that comparison of Yamato and Missouri, it occured to me that Missouri, even if at the same scale, is larger than Yamato, at least in length?!? I always thought Yamato was the larger of the two; certainly in size of her guns, at least, but I thought length wize as well. Is my math and facts wrong? Yamato was 256 meters whereas Missouri is 270.4 meters...is this right?

Anyway, I digress once again...must be age. :lol:
A beautiful ship, Rob, can't wait to see her with guns and the like. :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Your math is right.
Yamato was the largest in gun cal and tonnage since this was how they measured them by hitting power and weight.
Yamato was to have four big turrets but with the extra weight she would not have been able to use the IJN fleet anchorages. It was this fact that caused her to have such a wide beam in the first place. Her tonnage was to be well over 69000 tons standard displacement. Missouri's was 44560 tons standard displacement.

The end result was still two big beasts :lol:

Regards

Rob

cadwal

Jan 28, 2004
Sweden
Hi Jim,

I think the "top three" ever (completed) were:

Code:
Iowa/Missouri etc. 270.4m
Yamato/Musashi     262.9m
Hood               262.1m

I am still going :shock: whenever I look at those handmade portholes ... just amazing.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Fitted the bridge section and started the paint work for this area.
All the big stuff is now done to the bridge, next will be the aft section and guns.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Rob! :D

You sure were able to get quite a bit done today.
She's looking great, mate. That had to be a bit of fine work to cut out the lights/windows in the navigation bridge. Well done!!

I couldn't help but notice an awful lot of gun enplacements throughout the build...and I thought I was in trouble with all those carronades on Constitution. :lol:

Keep at it, my friend!
And, yes, I'll ask, more pictures please? :lol:
If possible and if you have the time, of course. :wink:

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just two photos tonight.

Added a few more bits, but the main thing has been sorting out the paint work and covering the joints in the hull.
Does not look very good in the photos but without the flash it looks good to me. I will try to get some photos in day light to show the effects on the paint work done.

More soon with a bit of luck

Regards

Rob