USS MISSOURI (BB-63)

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

I just used the same water colours that I used on Yamato, nothing fancy.
It looks as if the shades of the colours in the photos don't match, this because the paint is not fully dried yet, Looks good in the day light. The printed sheets have a sheen to them and the painted areas are a flat matt :roll:

More soon

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

With Missouri now I had the problem of working out what to do next as the kit has just one or two problems, so Iam now that the main work has been done on the superstructure going to work from forward to aft and finish off as I go.

Just put the photos in to show the stage she is at.

A quick question, why do modelers buy kits and not build them or buy kits they know are to big for the place they live and can't build them????
The question realy is are we going to a society of collectors and not builders as it looks as if every ones got loads of kits but know one is building :?

More soon

Regards

Rob

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
jrts said:
A quick question, why do modelers buy kits and not build them or buy kits they know are to big for the place they live and can't build them????
The question realy is are we going to a society of collectors and not builders as it looks as if every ones got loads of kits but know one is building :?

OK, me first :D

Five years renting a place in NY - no place to build or display models, but there are new ones appearing and I HAVE TO GET THEM :D
Bought house in NJ - finished model workroom in basement just in time to sell the house :evil: :!:
Bought house in Tampa - finally enough room for everything just need time to settle in, build the shelves etc. Just came to a conclusion that I really care only for Japanese ww2 hardware so it is time to unload all the other stuff (except for B-17, B-25, Mustang, and few more :D )
In case somebody asks why I'm selling some Japs on Ebay - I'm keeping three copies of each, everything else goes :twisted:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Missouri

Rob

Lord that thing is big rather you than me but it will be fun to watch. :roll:

Is that the twin engined plane from the Russians and if it is do we get few photos etc about the build. Time we had something that does not float I think. :lol:

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Michael

Oh to have that problem, good reasons though. I'am shaking with the thought 8)
It just seems as if of late a lot of the guys have this nad that model and chatting about them but know one is building them.

The B-52 thread Loads of guys have the model and then say its to big to build :?
Why buy it, it just to me does not add up :shock:

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wow, she's really a big one, Rob; and looking great!

I finally got the chance to work a bit on my build this busy weekend too, but I had to quit for family matters and didn't have time to take even one photo. :( I hope to get somemore done tomorrow and take some photos.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is about collecting big models, if there can be one answer; I guess it really depends upon the person in mind, their lifestyle and what they are about.

One thing about having recently moved from an apartment to a house, besides the obvious reasons (get a backyard with a nice lawn for my daughter to enjoy and me to mow, a source for a hundred more "honey-do's", and a place we can call our own...and to fix when things break :lol: ), is the opportunty to put up some shelves and set aside some horizontal spaces for my models. :D My wife already has picked out a nice spot in the living room which she has suggested would be a great spot for a Cutty Sark model I haven't started yet, and I will probably put Constitution in my office at work so I can spend a good deal of the day seeing all my mistakes. That leaves me lots of places for more new builds, even big ones! :D

Seriously, I have to admit I have a good stock of models in the "to be built" bin, and I pull them out from time to time to look them over, check out the parts and assembly diagrams and picture how to tackle certain parts of the build, and get a good sense of how it will go together. This keeps my juices flowing and gives me a bit of anticipation about my next build, whichever one that might be. I even pack some of the book sized kits in my brief case for my commute where I get to spend some uninterrupted time doing the same (alas, the train ride is too bumpy to even think about working on even the smaller parts of my current build :( ). This gives me great joy and is fun for those moments when I can't get to the modeling mat and do some cutting and gluing.

I am sort of wondering what sparked this question, it's a very interesting one but what made you think of that this evening, mate?

Looking forward to more photos when you get the chance. :D

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Yes it is and I will finish it first and then ask if its OK to post some results.
Its a nice build so far, just got to work out a few things it won't take long

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

What sparked the question was this, the way I see it off late a lot of use are talking and reviewing this and that kit. But know one is building or is building and not posting anything.

So I thought I would ask a question that might find an answer :roll:
When was the last time a tank thread ran on site or apart from Leif great work a plane for that matter?????

Just a thought

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Rob.
For a moment I thought you got a look at my "to be built" bin. :lol:

Maybe someone should suggest everyone posting a photo of their current build and see what comes up?

I think I will do that and see what response come of it.

Jim

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Big Mo's looking great, Rob. You're really working wonders with that kit!

AJ

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Sorry for the delay with Big Mo, had a few fit problems with it.
The photo show one of the fit problems, I made up alot of the smaller deck fittings and stored them in my white tubs I use.
Came to fit them all to the deck ect and found that a lot of the parts overlap other parts so I had to go back to the drawing board with the whole thing.
We live and learn :eek:ops: should have thought of this before with this kits record for fit.

I will have a good update this weekend

Regards

Rob

Huey

Apr 9, 2004
Afghanistan
jrts,

sorry i haven't been following this thread but did you upscale this model that's why you mentioned something about "overlapping parts"?

btw, i do have the GPM B-52D and the only reason why i'm not building it for the moment is that it will be a big headache to move this from one camp to another, aside from when i finally do go home, i don't know how i will be able to take it home with me. so for the time being, it will have to wait till i'm finally home :D

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Huey

No its the original kit all Ive done is added a few parts and changed a lot of the bad fitting bits this poor old girl has. The hull formers are a good example, if I had not used a lot of extra card in the frame work the thing would have fallen apart the first time it was lifted up :eek:ops:

So far this old girl has taken 69 sheets of A4 0.25mm card and Iam not half way into the build yet.
I should have checked the part placements before I got to this stage of the build, it can be fixed no problem. Its a case of why didn't I do that before, hindsight is a wounderful thing :roll:

Don't get me wrong I have learned a lot from doing this model and at the end of the day thats what its all about :D

Ive done most the of the changes now and will post some of the work later

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

This is just to let you all know that I have not forgotten Big Mo.

I have had some major problems with scale of the kit, so far not one single bit of the kit is to scale.
I built all the guns up, rolled the barrels. While rolling the last ones I thought that they looked a bit big!!

So out came the drawings and the rule, I checked them over and found that they are twice the size they should be. This rung big alarm bells in my head. I started to check all the other parts and yes they are not to scale either :shock:

The whole model has had to go back to the drawing board and as Iam not that bright with a computor. It has taken a long time to get it again to the stage to start building again :cry: :cry:

To give you an idea of the scale miss match, the photos show a gun barrel from the kit and a wooden barrel in 1/200 for the Missouri.
Some little scale error I think!!

I will have this back on the go soon, I don't want to rush it and destroy the build. Its a fine ship and I want it to finish up looking like her

More as soon as I can

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Yikes!! :shock:

What the...how did that happen? :?

Jeez, Rob, I am so sorry this scaling problem has occurred. :(

I sure do hope you are able to sort it out...I have to admit I was very excited to see an update posted on this thread, but that quickly turned to shock, disappointment and dismay as I read your post...not nearly, I imagine, as much as your feelings when you discovered this very serious scaling problem.

I know many of us will be patiently waiting for your next update and wish you all the best in working out this difficulty.

Best regards,
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Its just what a card cruncher lives for, it has been loads of fun and a big learning curve for me to do this.
It takes more time and effort to sort out a problem than it does to do it from scratch :lol: :lol:
I only post it as I see it so the guys don't spend a lot of cash on a model you think fits like a glove and then scream later!!!
I just did not want anyone to think I had left this model, thats all

It will be good news in the next update :D

More then

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

As I said in the last post for this, it would be good news in the next one :lol:

Well this time I have worked it out (I think, hope and pray) :lol:

The first photo are the secondary guns, these are ready to be fitted in position.

In the last set of photo's you can see that the main gun looks like something out of a horror movie.
In this photo I think it's a little better, all that this needs now is the AA guns and the six ladders plus some clean up work. Four down the front and two on the sides.

Next