Rock Island Model Rosters

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Hey guys,

Hopefully you all have received the map by now. The light blue is expansion of the ROCK's existing lines.

I tried to make the file small, but was unsuccessful in my attempts. Anyhow, hope you guys enjoyed it, or at least it was informative.

Have the FINAL draft of the MWDLRR's track plan now. There are a couple more changes that need to be added, but they are just small ones-two large passing sidings in the mountain/hills area is all.

If you would like a copy of it, I can send you the zip file. Again, this is a .bmp file zipped up. When you unzip it, the file becomes HUGE. So, as stated before, keep the zip file, but unzip and look at it and then delete it as necessary to save disk space.

The .jpg, even compressed down using the best compression was only under 1MB, so I thought it was best to save it as a zip file. The .zip file is 251kb, and the .bmp file is 23MB.

This new track plan has labels for everything, so you will not be looking at it blindly. All important tracks are labled and there are also explanations for some trackwork. All yards and railroad facilities have been labled, with some going into detail.

I plan to have a trackage rights plan and tower location map soon. This diagram will also include track numbers and other important information.

Till next time.

Later guys.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

Glad you liked it. That was some work loading that into MSPaint and editing it, then saving it and compressing it.

Sorry the map is so old though (1895). It was about the only decent one I could find that had the different railroads on it. I gave you guys that URL for that site a while back. Don't ask me to remember it. LOL!

I think I will just send all you guys the track plan too. This way I won't have to wait for replies. I mean, you guys can always delete the file if you do not want it.

Ok, gonna go back and do some more work now. Later guys.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Morning,

Okay, all of you guys should have the new MWDLRR track plan. Feel free to comment as you see fit.

Got my structure/kit listing finally done. Now, all I have to do is figure out industries and names of industries.

Now, would ANY of you see any areas on the layout plan that could handle a river? I was looking for a place to put a bridge, but I first need a river. LOL!

Next project to complete: Walthers Distribution Center for my Intermodal Facility.

Painted up 4 more ROCK Intermodal units, so that brings that roster to 8 total. Just waiting on the decals now.

Either next week, or the week after I begin purchasing.

I know I have asked this before....would any of you guys know if installing Kadee electro-magnetic uncouplers embedded in the track, instead of using them for their intended purpose, use them to slow down the cars as they are sent down the hump?

I am looking for a good way to simulate retarders, since NO-ONE makes scale track retarders.

Have a good morning, Guys.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I can't imagine they would, wolv. There's not enough metal on the units that would result in a slowing down of the railcar. If you put in powerful magnets in each car, and under the track, that might work - but would probably be prohibitively expensive, and a pain in the you-know-what.

I can't suggest anything else, though. Maybe you wanna post that as a separate question in the Technical question, and maybe in RRL as well.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

I did post a question on RR-Line, but it was similar to what I posted here. Good idea to post this in the Tech Q/A section though.

So, what do you think of the new track plan?

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
I know what you mean, Mike.

I think the Woman is planning on abducting me for steak dinner on sunday afternoon. Still, cannot complain with steak. LOL!

Lemme know when you have time.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Slow weekend, hey guys. As suspected, my Walthers order arrived in record time again, arriving on Friday. Inside were a number of decals, a C&S caboose (Athearn RTR, very very very nice), and the first of my Walthers Trainline GP15-1's. An excellent buy if anyone's considering one of their locos - performs well, less noise than most Athearns (about the same $$$), and looks really snappy. I posted a pic on the "Walthers Trainline" thread in Tech if anyone wants to take a look.

I also finished renumbering my Bachmann U36B to #297, thus converting it (in my mind anyways) to a U33B. The two locos, from what I have been told, look almost identical, the only difference being the 300 horsepower of course. So poof, there you have it - and now I have one of my target roster locomotives.

I also updated my website with all my "functioning" locos - all of 'em except 297 have a pic as well. Again, still waiting b-day money so I can order the Stewart U25B. And I've decided to pass on the P2K GP18 - I have an old Bachmann GP18 that I'm repainting into Rock colors (nee UP), thus gaining my GP18 that way.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Congratulations on your "new" U33B, Mike!

(Already congratulated yoo on the Geep on the other thread!)

I think the conversion was a great idea!

Foster's book describes the U36B as "virtually indistinguishable from the U33B." The main difference was of course the HP as you said (3300 vs 3600), accounting for the model names.

As I'm sure you are aware, the RI had 25 of the U33Bs, in use from July 1968 to shutdown, although 15 of them were used as control units for road slugs (some even re-painted into the Blue scheme) after 1977.

Marre states that these locos were used more in the West, and has photos of them at North Platte, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Denver.

Sounds like your kind of area, Mike!

He has a photo of one at Silvis, too. So I have justification for mine!

What colors are you using for the GP18 ????

Later!

- George

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Morning guys,

So far, striking out on the hump retarders. Posted to RR-Line, Trains.com and here...some ideas, but nothing that would look acceptable.

I think rolling them down the hump on their own power after uncoupling at the top of the crest, would destroy some cars smashing into others. Or, at the very least, knock parts off the cars or derail them.

Perhaps if the incline graded out, then maybe that would avoid damaging the cars as they made their desent to the classification yard.

I came up with an idea that worked....for a few seconds. I added two inside rails to a small piece of straight track, and put them closer together than switch points are. One car actually slowed down, the other totally derailed. I examined what had happened, and the second car's wheels got up on top of the inside track, and that was how it derailed. Bad idea I guess.

One guy came up with magnets as a solution, and using a short coil beneath the track to generate a current that would slow the cars down. However, magnets would have to be installed on ALL cars.

I guess I need to find people that HAVE humpyards on their layout, and how they are simulating the retarders.

In other news, I have nearly finished my Walthers auto distrib facility. All that is left is to build the chainlink fencing, and paint and weather the model. Since this kit is out of production, do you think I could get Walthers to replace the chainlink fencing?

The instructions say it comes with it, the picture on the box says it come with it, and even the discontinued model at Walthers.com says so. But, no chain link fencing was in this kit, and it was brand new in the box when I got it. Hmmmmm.

Anything like that happen to you guys?

Catchya all later.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Idea #2...

Okay guys. I went to Lowes today and picked up copper wire, a steel bar, a 6 volt battery and an SPDT switch today.

Any clue what I am making?

I got this idea from a guy at work, who happens to have a major degree in engineering. Hopefully this will work a lot better.

Still haven't heard from Walthers on my distrib facility replacement chain link fencing.

Later.