Rock Island Model Rosters

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Sounds like fun to me, Andy - our tracks will meet in Moline/Rock Island !

I assume your track will go along the South side of the river, and mine along the North ...

OK, OK - downstream from the QCA that's East (Andy, toward Memphis) and West (George, toward Muscatine) sides, respectively! The Mississippi flows East to West here in the Quad Cities - see a map!

Gee - once we get this set up, I wonder if a RI car could "travel" across country on our layouts...?

(Or is that too "box"-like ??? ;) )

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Shane - it doesn't have to be a or prototypical area or even where the RI really was - just a geographical location you want to "merge" with the other routes!

- George

Mississippi River?

George:

Jessica didn't believe me when I told her that the Missississippi flows East to West in the Quad Cities! She said it only flows North to the South. Boy was she wrong. When we went to my Grandmothers funeral in May in Davenport, I took her to the river front. She said, I guess you are right! A good trivia question. :eek:

I could do some minor changes on the my layout. Sounds like a plan to me George!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Question: Do we have the longest forum on The_Gauge?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

Andy

St. Mary's Catholic Church in Moline

George:

This is St Mary's Church in Moline. Wellman Family has sent many years going to this Church. Dating back to the Civil War. The Church looks alittle different today. The steaple is on the back of the church. Plus the front has been expanded. I haven't found a good model to model this church by. You have any ideas? I may have to scratch build one.

The location of St Mary's is west of the downtown area of Moline. I went to Seton. Plus I was an alter boy at St. Mary's! Alot of personal meaning of this little church. I would love it to be on my layout!

Andy

Attachments

• stmarys1959.gif
    stmarys1959.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 67

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Andy,

I see our lines are going to cross over in Tennessee. I will have to have my management dept get a hold of yours to setup trackage rights there.

George, I believe our lines cross somewhere on the way to Aurora, so we will also have to setup trackage rights that way.

My BN/BNSF lines go up through Wisconsin and into Minnesota, and we have exclusive trackage rights with Wisconsin Central up there. We have also acquired trackage rights with CN and CP in Minnesota.

Now going west, our lines cross and meet with Mike's. I believe we have already established trackage rights with the Reckless and Veiled railroad that way.

I shudder to have to look at the BN/BNSF map. Way too much trackage to keep "track" of. LOL!

My MOPAC and ROCK lines extend down into Arkansas, where the REAL prototype to own that line is UP.

As stated before, Amtrak pretty much hits every state in the nation, with trackage rights in the lower 48 states.

Once I get the BN/BNSF map, that will pretty much take care of all the major roads except for the ROCK and MOPAC. I believe I know where to get that map at. So I am off to get it. LOL!

Later guys.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Neat church, Andy.

Sometime I must go over and see what it looks like today.

I agree with Mike - looks like a scratch-build project, but would look great on a layout once finished!

No takers on the Fairfield question ???

Wolv - you are going to have one complicated map !!!

Later!

- George

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
George,

Complicated is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

I just got back from BNSF.com... I have obtained all their system maps, intermodal maps, and different commodity maps. I also obtained their complete intermodal facilities list and station list. I hate to say how MANY states are in the BNSF system!

I will have a compiled listing of all cities for you guys, but I need one thing first. I need to know ALL states your lines are going to occupy.

Then, I can tell you what state and what city my lines will meet up at. As for the ROCK, no-one goes into Arkansas except for CSX, and UP. So, the ROCK will have lines there, along with my MOPAC (now UP) routes.

I am going to get the BN/BNSF stuff out of the way first though. That will be the greatest obstacle.

I seen some churches that were similar in Walthers, but do not remember who put them out. I contacted Bachmann on that list of structures, and found out that they are 4-5 years old! Funny, I do NOT remember seeing a carshop or a diesel maint shop, fuel racks, sanding racks, or sanding towers ever in anything Bachmann.

I am just glad that I found places on the web that still have these!

Later guys.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Colorado: Colorado Springs, Denver, Pueblo, Sugar City (MP only Sugar City; all others on joint line - ATSF MP DRGW C&S)
Kansas: Dodge City (ROCK ATSF B&P), Garden City (B&P), Lyons (MP), McPherson (MP), Scott City (MP B&P), Shallow Water (B&P), Wichita (ATSF MP ROCK)
New Mexico: Raton (ATSF), Tucumcari (ROCK)
Oklahoma: Cherokee, Enid, Okeene (all ROCK)
Texas: Amarillo (ROCK)

Cotton Belt running rights Wichita - Dodge City - Amarillo (along ROCK trackage)

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
OK - I'll tell (if anyone wants to know!)

It is where the old RI line (N-S) crosses the BNSF/AMTRAK line (E-W).

Maps of the city still show a section of the old RI track!

So that "Fair" city is on my layout with an AMTRAK station to meet up with passengers from the RI "Cornbelt" rocket for transfer to the Zephyr.

Wolv take note!

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Wolv et al -

Here is my revised RIL 1996 map:

BTW - Fairfield is the dot between Eldon and Washington (the Hastings map shows it better).

- George

Attachments

• r96map2.jpg
    r96map2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 51

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
George,

Do you have a map that shows the following states:

Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nebraska?

I am looking for a good map to start on. I may have to look through my 1,000,000 piece collection of clipart though. Actually it is more like 2 million. I have so many collections, I do not know what to do with them all. LOL!

Anyhow, I will get you guys a map soon.

Later.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Guys, in case you had set up links to my website, it's moved. I have renamed it to Pacific Rock & Brownstone (see separate post, "FYI Name Change").

I bought another map of the States today; I'm gonna redraw my layout routes and scan it in. No changes, I just want to eliminate the superfluous routes which have no impact on my layout.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

I like the new graphical representation!

Would your map happen to be blank??

That is what I am looking for, so I can get you guys a map of my lines.

I really dread having to sort through all that clipart I have. Ehhh!

Last time I was looking for something for someone for a Christmas card, it took me 3 whole weeks!

Later guys.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Hey guys,

Here is something that I have thought about a little bit, but never really brought up.

I came up with the idea that we could have some of each other's rolling stock on our own layouts. Now, how do we go about doing this?

What is unique to my layout is the MWELX rolling stock. I also have the ROCK Intermodal units, if anyone wants a couple of them. I am going to add some roadrailers for this line as soon as I can locate some.

I still have yet to come up with decals for this though. I wouldn't mind having a few PRB on my layout. George, will you have anything unique that we could have on our own layouts?

I got this idea from a friend. I have several of his rolling stock on my "layout". These are either leased, purchased as run-off from his railroad, or they just happen to be there.

So, George, Andy, Shane...you have anything unique of yours, that we could have on our own layout?

Let us know.

Later guys.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I use a roadmap, wolv, which probably wouldn't work for you cause it would be too big. The region I am going to model just fits in the scanner.

PRB will not have its own rolling stock. It's just the name I've given to the layout in general. The Brownstone & Paradise will, however. I'm looking at getting some decals made up at Xmas for some boxcars and maybe some hoppers.