Rock Island Model Rosters

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Fellow Rock fans . . . . . . I thought it would be interesting to have a webpage with our model rosters. I put a first draft together with info from "another" forum.

Any updates, let me know. And if any other fans would like to have their posted, ship it to me (or I guess you could reply to this post, too). Don't forget to let me know what scale you're modeling.....................

http://www.heatherandmichael.com/recklessandveiled/rockfans.html

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
It seems to me the other item that might be helpful on this spreadsheet is the era y'all are modeling. So if you wanna send me that info as well ................

And any other comments on what you'd like to see in the table. I'm not sure if this will provide utility or just interest, but both would be nice ....................

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Mike -

To update my collection, please add:

GP35 in maroon and yellow (Athearn - custom)
SW1500 in blue (Athearn)

I have TWO U25Bs in maroon & pinstripe (Stewart)

Also note that the GP18 is on order (I hope!).

Thanks for the list!
Nice to see what everyone has!

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Oops - one more:

A RDC-3 in silver (P1K).

I model in 1996 (with the RI as a regional road). So I use the fleet the RI had in 1980 on the layout. These locos fit well with what such a regional would have really used in the 90's - compare with the IMRL (ICE) and Iowa Interstate roads of today (which is my RI region)!

The new RI management has allowed a range of color schemes to be used on their locos as part of the "RI heritage" - and allowed DBs (finally) - and runs a "QC Rocket" with a revamped E8A in Rocket scheme! I think they are smart, as they are bringing in the railfans to ride as well as the normal passengers to and from Chicago.

I also COLLECT significant RI locos (usually greater than 10 owned by the RIL unless important - or I just like it, as the case with the BL2 ... and the H15-44 I have on order....)

Now - dare we do the RI ROLLING STOCK ???!!!

:D

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Updates done, George. I included one of mine that's on order, too (SD40-2), so that's why I left the GP18 in there.

I didn't add it, but I already know I'm getting a second SW1500 for my bday from my wife; and my mom promised to give me some coin to buy some train stuff - depending on how much that is, I might invest in another Rock unit as well.

The only other railroads I will have on my layout are Santa Fe (of which I have enough locos) and the fictional Brownstone & Paradise (three road, two switchers painted, just waiting decal completion). So it makes the most sense to add more Rock units.

Oh, and there's a bit of Frisco trackage (both they and Rock went into Okeene OK), but that's not critical . . . . . . . .

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Mike -

I have a several roads that meet up in my RI region, too.

UP is to the north (at Clinton, IA). Just got a SD70M for them. They will run intermodal down the old RI track (owned today by IMRL, now ICE) as the real UP does today.

BN/SF are merging in 1996 to the South (Galesburg, IL). They have a BN GP38 and are getting a Dash 8-40B "patch" BNSF in SF blue & yellow colors. They will (along with my RI) haul coal to the Bettendorf power plant (as IMRL/ICE does today, with SD40s !).

Also, AMTRAK is on the BNSF track - the Zephyr goes across Southern Iowa, and a Rocket will meet it on my layout to exchange passengers. I have one P40 (and will get a second dummy P40) for my Zephyr train (also have a F40PH).

The main RI locos I still need to add for this layout are a GP7 in RI blue and perhaps another GP9 if I don't get the GP18 (whereever they are!).

Of course, I want a H15-44, RS3 (in maroon & pinstripes), Davenport 44-ton, TA, and C415 for the historical collection. But after the H15-44 and (hopefully) the GP18 (both on order), I might have a long wait for any of the others!

Might even have to break down and paint a P2K Geep 7 blue myself!

Now about that rolling stock listing ........

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Hhhhmmmm..........you know it probably wouldn't take long to add rolling stock to the list......I've only got 14 of 'em.

I'd probably want to make a separate table, though. And would I track road numbers ????

Hhhmmmmmmmm............

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Well, because I talked you into all this work, here is my RI rolling stock - with some extra data:

Boxcars (9)

#51054 50' plug insulated GARX (Branchline)
#32863 86' Hi-cube "Softtouch" (Athearn)
#6950 50' "DF" PS-1 (Kadee)
#33826 60' ACF auto parts "DF2" (Atlas)
#302237 50' PS5344 white (Athearn)
#42083 40' PS "Ship Rocket Freight" (Athearn)
#48326 40' PS "100 years" (Athearn)
#30142 50' "Route of the Rockets" (Accurail)
#28172 50' "The Rock" (Roundhouse)

Covered Hoppers (2)

#7207 PS-2 (Atlas)
#130003 53' PS2-CD high side (P2K)

Other (5)

#995001 (sic) Thrall tri-level auto carrier (Walthers)
#90090 40' stake flat car (Athearn)
#17058 40' wide vision caboose, R&Y (Athearn)
#2465 52'6" gondola (P2K)
#1760 30' outside braced wooden caboose (Roundhouse)

Passenger (5)

#364 64-seat Budd coach "Duncan" (Walthers)
#422 36-seat Budd diner "Yucca" (Walthers)
#437 16/24-seat PS observation "St. Paul" (IHC)
#328 68-seat PS coach "Topeka" (IHC)
#196542 71' Budd baggage (Walthers)

Note that I have (or will) change the names/RNs on the IHC cars from the ones they came with.

(WHEW! WHY did I start this ???!!!)

Thanks for these lists, Mike! Besides being of interest to those of us who like to see what the other fellow has, it can be a great resource for starting RI fans to see what models are available.

Later - my fingers are tired !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
One more thing - I notice you are running one of MY boxcars (#48326) - please return it!

;)

Actually, I'm surprised that there is not more overlap between our collections. Interesting!

- George

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Ehhh, I finally made it here. LOL!

Hey guys!

Are you SURE you want my RI rolling stock roster? hehehe....

I worked on my MWDLRR site some more, but it won't be up till this coming weekend. It is a matter of getting a lot of images (very small ones) located and uploaded to the site.

Anyhow, I PMed you George, cause you, Mike and myself all have basically the same interests as far as modeling goes. We are all doing modern-type ROCK lines, and even some of my lines carry into what Mike is doing. I was interested in any pics you might have, George. I am always interested in a fellow ROCK fan's stuff. :)

To answer your question of where you can find the two Geeps you were talking about (GP7 and GP9)...if you are wanting either blue and white or red and yellow, it is VERY simple. I would just buy some undecorated Athearns and paint them up, then order MS decals. I have a couple more GP7/9s going into the paintshop to be painted up as ROCK units. Again, till my decals arrive, I am not numbering or planning to number anything.

I will have to access my database on my rolling stock and get back with you on my RI items. Mike, if you want, you can add the two new Geeps to my roster.

Thanks guys.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
I don't know what you had planned for the Labor Day weekend, Mike, but it sounds like you better plan on spending a LOT of time putting Wolv's data into the roster lists!

:eek:

(Just kidding - shouldn't take more than a day, I'm sure!)

;)

Wolv, I just moved into a new (well, to us!) house this summer - I do have the locos unpacked, but need to start serious work on a layout! Could take some pix of a certain loco or rolling stock, if there is one you don't have and want to see. But the layout (and photos there of will take a while ... maybe something by New Years.....

Right now, I'm enjoying taking a break by going back to work...which is far less work than moving !!!

As Andy will discover!

Speaking of Andy, we need his and Shane's lists, too!

The more RI the better!

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hi Andy - glad you could join us and add to the roster!

How goes the move ???

Mike -

The RI had 165 2-8-2s in 1948 according to my sources. This was about 26% of their total steam fleet in that year.

The 2-8-0s numbered 170, or about 27 %. So if you have these two steamers (made by Athearn Genesis and Bachmann, respectively), you would have a representative 53% of the RI fleet.

They only had 40 0-6-0s (6%). Besides, the P2K model is too expensive anyway!

- George

PS

For those who wonder what I do with a steamer in 1996 - it has, and will again, sit in a RR park in one of my small Iowa towns!
It runs on special occasions.

- G