Rock Island Model Rosters

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Looking good, Andy, definitely ahead of me !!!

Stupid plumber took forever this morning, so I'm gonna have to work through lunch for the next few days to make up the time. BUT my Hobby Circle package arrived while I was home. YAY!!!

First thing I took out was the Athearn SD40-2 in ROCK red/yellow. WOW!!! I have yet to run it, but this unit looks better than any Athearn I've ever seen !!!! Also comes with the new plastic handrails, already painted in red. I'll post pics once I assemble it (which should be tonight since I got the Progress Rail Services building finished last night).

New Athearn

Mike:

Even though the drive assembly looks the same as the old. I personally think they run better! The owner at the local hobby shoppe told me to run the loco on your layout with no load (no rolling stock) for about an hour. It increases the performace! Plus is moves the grease around. Who knows how long it sat in the box!

Andy
Can't waite to see those pictures!

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Andy,

You have to start thinking flextrack and #4,6,8 turnouts. Those snap track pieces no longer work for hardly anything.

I for the life of me, cannot figure out WHY they still make them. Everyone I know, including myself, uses flextrack and custom line turnouts, slips/crossovers and wyes.

To get your 89' cars to get around curves, you need a radius of 30 degrees or more.

Food for thought.

Later.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
More thoughts on the SD40-2 . . .

(1) It now accepts a regular ol' kadee #5, with a regulation coupler pocklet (as opposed to those useless clips on most Athearns). An *extraordinary* improvement. Even the Athearn couplers will work better, as they will now stay level, as opposed to drooping.

(2) Nice detail on the decals - a number of additional decals are present on this unit that I haven't seen in the past from Athearn, notably on the side of the walkway, surrounding the "ROCK ISLAND" on the right side, and *number boards* on the rear of the unit. Fweet........................

(3) A near-perfect match on the red and yellow paint colors, IMHO.

(4) Plastic handrails much better than the metal ones, but still somewhat annoying to install, especially the front and rear handrails. Very fiddly little plastic bits that stick into the shell. Which works okay when you're doing the sides, cause you can lay the loco flat, but on the front and back . . . . . not so much. I eventually gave up on the front set - one end bit now fits in a much bigger hole (with help from plastic cement); the other end bit I couldn't even get in the hole. Stupid things.

(5) See-through fans. Another nice touch.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Now THAT'S RI red !!!

Want to send a copy of that photo to P2K, Mike, so they can use the correct color NEXT TIME ??!!??

I hear you about the plastic handrails - the Katos and Stewarts gave me fits, too. Just be CAREFULL when cutting the Stewart handrails off the spew and dont cut the pegs! Still faster than metal and no painting - but ya can't bend them into another shape, either!

Now ... HOW DOES IT RUN ????????????????

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
For more pics, check out "Reckless & Veiled Update" in the Photos forum.

I didn't get to run it a lot, tomorrow I'll put it through more of its paces. From what I did run it, though, it seems significantly more quiet than most Athearns - and that's prior to it being "broken in". I don't know about pulling power or functionality at slow speed - I'll run those tests tomorrow.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Not the best photo, but I hope you can see some of my remarks about the GP18 (and compare with the GP9). Notice teh fans, and the gray trucks and fuel tank (compare with the silver-gray GP9).

The colors a bit off, but with flash it is a brighter red than "real".

- George

Attachments

• p2kgp18.jpg
    p2kgp18.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 37

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Mike,

If you run the 89' autorack and intermodal flat cars, you will have ONE HECK of a time getting those around even a 22 inch radius curve. More than likely they will derail. Atlas makes a 24-inch radius curve and even this does look out of place for the long intermodal and passenger cars.

The snap track is really only good for anything 54' and under, and Atlas and other companies should tell modelers that. It was really frustrating when I made that mistake, since I had opened the track and could not return it!

I have a box of 400+ pieces of track, and about 40 switches that are useless due to the fact that I have a lot of the LONG cars now.

Which is the reason I want to stress the importance of using flextrack on curves and #4-8 turnouts in the design.

Nice SD40-2 there, Mike!

George,

That GP18 DOES look a little dark. About the trucks....I usually wash them with a brown/grimy color and add rust highlights to it. That gray wouldn't even show on my diesels. I mean, in all actuality they get used quite a bit. It might look better after you have weathered it.

I still agree though, the overall color is darker than what it should be.

I will see if I can come up with a map for you two, showing where my lines will be.

Later guys.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been busy doing something stupid. This guy from Mass. bought a house up the road from me and some how found out I was a builder. I told him I couldn't do it cause of my back but he told me to name a price that would make my back feel better.
Well I took the job, I dont do any lifting I mostly just supervise. The pay is well worth it. I'll make up alot of what I've lost since the back derailed. I'll be done on the 24 th and surgery on the 25th. then its bed time for a while.
I've been stock piling things for the railroad, so I'll have something to do during the down time.

I bought another Digital camera, a Fuji Fine Pix with a 6X zoom. I got lucky when I bouhgt it, the guy at the camera shop is also a model railroader so he knew exactly what I wanted. I've only used it on the job, but I'll get a picture of something in here soon.

I did get a list started for my rolling stock but time is not on my side right now. I'll get it to you ASAP.

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Shane,

Nice pic. All of us ROCKies here need to know where your lines are, and what areas they occupy? We do not want to cross into anyone else's line.

Let us know. I am still working on my map, and I was kinda holding off till we knew where your lines were. Thanks.

Nice Picture Mike!

Mike:
I like your picture. I also have the same locomotive but it has metal hand rails. I told you they are easier to work with! :D

As for my track usage. I did use some flex track. However, Mike is right. I felt more comfortable using pre-curved track. ON long straight away, I used flex track. Next time I will use all flex.

This is my first layout. I made many mistakes. I did learn form them! :eek:

Bedtime,
Andy

I hate 2nd shift:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Wolv -

Yes, weathering of the trucks and tank is called for!
But why P2K couldn't have the same ones as on the GP9 is beyond me!

I look forward to seeing your map!

Andy & Shane -

You guys need to claim a RI area - see the thread above for what we are talking about !!!!!!!!

I can cede some area, if neccessary.

My plan is to have my initial layout track area along the Mississippi from Clinton thru the QCA to Muscatine and Fairfield IA. Other parts of Iowa/Illinois/Minnisota can be claimed, if you wish. If not claimed, I will expand by adding the Chicago to Lincoln route. And from Fairfield thru KC to Wichita.

Shane -

Hope the work and the surgery all work out - good luck, and feel better soon !!!

Hope to see more of you on the forum once your surgery is over!!

Nice photo !

Figure out your track area!

Andy -

You gonna add sulfuric acid tank cars to your layout after the move? :eek: ;)

Figure out YOUR track area!

Mike -

We expect a "running" report on that SD40-2 soon !!!

Time to get ready for class!

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Hey Guys,

My lay-out is ficticous right now so you won't have to worry about crossing any of my tracks:) :) .

It'll be a long time comming before I get into any thing prototypical concerning trackage. I would how ever welcome any pics or info on a small RI yard I could fit into a 3'X5' area in N-Scale. It could be anywhere along the line. Or even a not so small back shop type setting. A place to park a few loco's and a couple dozen cars.

Andy,

I will be taking a ride to the Deerfield Mass. Yard sometime before the 25th and am sure to get a few RI box cars in the Blu scheme. The last time I went they had one in the white with CNW reporting marks. I got pics of it but I can't seem to find them.

Good Day:) :) :)