Orc village

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
A quick update with the new leather. I have added more/smaller leather hides (the ones before were just too large to make sense) and also some stitches and patches where the leather was damaged. Only the dirt texture is missing to make it look at worn and used and perfect :)

I was asked about the right scale for goblins and because I had no idea, I made a test pic with them so you can guess which size would be best. I am thinking the current size (100%) would be great for the tribes chief and for regular goblins you could build it at maybe 80% ...

DSC06851.jpg

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
Thanks guys! I always wanted to push my texturing abilities and this project is helping me do it. Lots of new materials to work on :)

When I was taking a break working on the textures, I was playing around with the shape of an orc tower the last days. How do you like this?

View attachment 157542

Sure this could be an Ewok village, but.... it looks to me more like an Orc Warcraft tower or a Warhammer Orc gun tower. Love the textures BTW.:Drinks:

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Reactions: Papierschnitzel

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
For the tusken raiders I want to make a cloth version of the texture... at least that is how I remember them. Oh dear, do I have to watch the movies again? :)
Here is a website that has many different textures (including fabric): http://www.textures.com I hope that this will help.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If someone printed duplicate copies of the models, and printed the second models, on normal paper, they could laminate them to the dwellings, and the skins would pop. Dipping parchment paper in old black coffee gets this effect, and crumpling it first adds leather like lines. Sewing the edges would add even more realism. :)

Reactions: Sky Seeker

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
If someone printed duplicate copies of the models, and printed the second models, on normal paper, they could laminate them to the dwellings, and the skins would pop. Dipping parchment paper in old black coffee gets this effect, and crumpling it first adds leather like lines. Sewing the edges would add even more realism. :)

You know that I am putting a lot of effort into my geometry and textures so that people don't have to do all that :animated: But sure, advanced users can improve that and maybe more, like glue thin strings onto the wooden poles as ropes replacement etc.

Anyway today I can show you what I think is 99% the final leather texture ... and the evolution from the start to now :) I will build a couple of huts with the variations the next days. I think you will like that even more...

I have added dirt, stretch folds, adjusted the ropes position and some more minor details which you could only see when you are closer.

DSC06853.jpg

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
You know that I am putting a lot of effort into my geometry and textures so that people don't have to do all that :animated: But sure, advanced users can improve that and maybe more, like glue thin strings onto the wooden poles as ropes replacement etc.

Anyway today I can show you what I think is 99% the final leather texture ... and the evolution from the start to now :) I will build a couple of huts with the variations the next days. I think you will like that even more...

I have added dirt, stretch folds, adjusted the ropes position and some more minor details which you could only see when you are closer.

View attachment 157678

WOW!!:King: Very Orky!;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013

View attachment 157678

Great texture is the foundation for great "Greebling". It gives the builder the template to follow, and for that one person who may wish to scale up and make a static diorama, your efforts are an instruction to that end. It's something to be proud of.

Thin Brown Paper bags is the best material for simulating Leather. It is used it upscale houses around here for simulating leather walls. Crunching up the paper, and the using of water based paints to make markings of the paper, and the ways it forms to any surface, is one of many great ways to go about this. Building as is is a given option. I just wish to state that your texturing is so good, don't be surprised if you do see some greebling done. ;)

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
Great texture is the foundation for great "Greebling". It gives the builder the template to follow, and for that one person who may wish to scale up and make a static diorama, your efforts are an instruction to that end. It's something to be proud of.

Thin Brown Paper bags is the best material for simulating Leather. It is used it upscale houses around here for simulating leather walls. Crunching up the paper, and the using of water based paints to make markings of the paper, and the ways it forms to any surface, is one of many great ways to go about this. Building as is is a given option. I just wish to state that your texturing is so good, don't be surprised if you do see some greebling done. ;)

It would be the best compliment one could get!

So today I can show you my options for the leather so far: with and without dirt, lighter and darker, saturated and desaturated and well colors, like ... red. I guess green would also work. So that's 24 variations with just the leather. I am working on fur and cloth too ...

DSC06858.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There are so many cultures that use leather. The Northern Chinese use Yaks. They use the whole animal. They actually cut the skins, and after tanning, make a frame from the bones, and make fishing boats out of them. It was quite fantastic to see people this resourceful, using every aspect of an animal they raise, respect, treat with dignity, and when the time comes, use every part of it's body.

What's amazing about thee boats is how large they can be made. They also hold very large loads, and are readily repairable. The Scotts also used animal skin boats, though the frame more often than not wood, sticks and reeds. It's interesting that thee boats, loaded up, ride so high in the water. Very stable.

Yak smaller fishing transport boat.jpg china-tibet-tibetan-fisherman-with-yak-skin-fishing-boat-on-yarlung-A1M18Y.jpg Yak boat with much supplies.jpg

Reactions: Sky Seeker

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The "Kon Tiki" boats are also quite amazing, especially since it has been proved they could indeed cross oceans. That would be a neat project! :)