Oldies but Goodies. The Old Stuff.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by toptrain1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

John I didn't want to post such a large photo and use so much space here so I resized the photo down to 1200 x something. You still can see it really good. I don't want to use up space. If asked by you to post a larger photo i would gladly do it. If you suggested I post at a certain size I would that. I am not looking to cause problems just share photos.
    frank
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

I personally, reduce the size of my images... down to about 999pixels in any direction, that way when the thread opens they will load faster if full images, our the same as in thumbnails. I give up on build threads when there are 100 or so 4-6ooo wide images trying to load! The last pix is just right lots of detail and a good overall view! Just my opinion...
  3. swampdaddy41

swampdaddy41 New Member

This Penn Line Witcomb diesel was my very first HO engine and it still runs though it needs a good repaint job here in 2018. Gear on the motor is made of some fiber material and will eventually need a replacement.
    Have fun modeling, Swamp Daddy
  4. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Well Dad. Ah that doesn't sound right, Hey Swampy, Nice to meet you here. Here in Jersey we had the Rahway Valley Railroad basically going north and south. With the CNJ, LVRR PRR and Lackawana cutting through the middle going everywhere else this was a railroad in the right place at the right time. This railroad, the RVRR didn't have much in the way of scheduled passenger service and did away with it early in its history. What it did do was instead of a caboose on its rush hour freight trains is usually had a combine. This railroad was a small town rural railroad for most of its time. Very informal passenger service was available if you knew who to speak to. This railroad predated US RT22 so the town or should i say City of UNION NJ. was for a long time was graced with this short line stopping traffic on what became a major thoroughfare for residents and shoppers in the hiway stores on RT 22. This multiple daily show of the wonders of railroading was appreciated by few, and hated by many. Of the few times i was stopped If close enough I would get out to enjoy the show. I wasn't aloe in this and the others were smiling and waving while many others beeped there horns and said thing that weren't very nice. They didn't know what they were seeing. This was the 1940's through 1960's. When they changed from steam to diesel power this railroad used only small 4 wheel and B-B trucked power to move its trains. Now all that i wote was for this last line, Those little Witcomb diesels would have been at home on this railroad.
    frank
    lyter1958 likes this.
  5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Well to keep this thread going which is important to me I'll tell you about the very reasonable few things i got at last weekends train show at the garden state expo center in Edison NJ. First of all is a Mantua original all metal pacific loco. It is pretty special because it is one of those factory painted using the TYCO road name.
    If we weren't lie to "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words."

IMG_4556 - M.JPG

Now also there was a old original POCHER RENO 4-4-0 which predates the Rivarossi and IHC ones. This would date this loco in the early 1960's

IMG_4561 -M.JPG

Last is a B-B electric locomotive made in the same way as those sold by the International model train Co. back in the late 50's and early 1960's. I have a feeling it was made only to be sold in Japan. The pentagraphs and couplers are badly bent but I think I can fix them. The couplers are the same as those sold on other International products.

IMG_4573 - M.JPG

Has anyone ever seen this blue electric before and know anything about it?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    lyter1958, Gandolf50 and zathros like this.
  6. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

Those are some real beauties!! ;)
  7. gbwdude

gbwdude Member

While not horribly old or exotic, I did recently trade all my Athearn Hustlers and parts associated with them for a Mantua Prairie that needed some love. I have dealt with this Facebook acquaintance before, it seems we have parts each other needs so we've been trading on and off for about a year. He also supplied the Mantua Rodgers 4-6-0 boiler that sits upon Whiskey River Ry's #49. A while ago I had found a box below a vendor's table at a train show which had a dusty box saying "Mellor 432 Converter Small 2-8-0". My jaw nearly hit the floor as I'd been looking for one nearly as long as I'd previously been looking for a Belle of the Eighties. For those who don't know what I'm rambling about, Harold Mellor was a gentleman who made low production detail parts to modify steamer kits back in the early to mid 80's. In my opinion this is his best work. At some point in the future I will combine the two as intended however I'm still debating whether it'll be a Whiskey River Ry. locomotive or (if I can rustle up blueprints) a rare model of Green Bay & Western #399.

Attached Files:

zathros likes this.
  8. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

I reworked my TYCO pacific seen a few post earlier. I've cleaned it, touched up the paint, test run it,
    and this is it. It cleaned up nicely. Locomotive with TYCO road names are from a 1955 catalog

4-6-2 TYCO 2 - Copy.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    zathros and swampdaddy41 like this.
  9. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

IMG_4790 - S.JPG My other TYCO labeled loco is a 0-6-0t.
    frank
    zathros and lyter1958 like this.
  10. zathros

They are so pretty. I don't know if that's the proper word, but they are so fine looking. Great work!! :)
  11. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

For trains from the late 1950's they run great. Here is my TYCO 0-4-0 switcher. Those are the three I have. All are shown In the TYCO 1955 catalog on the HOseeker site

041 0-4-0 209 006 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    zathros likes this.
  12. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Another Aristocraft, New One, locomotive has joined to roster here. It came in a original box, just the box was for another locomotive that they offered. So I now have a Reading 4-2-2 Bicycle locomotive. I do have a very nice B&O 4-6-0 Royal blue locomotive to place in the box that was made for it.
    frank

IMG_4932 - m.JPG IMG_4934 -m.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    zathros and swampdaddy41 like this.
  13. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Now the new to me RDG 4-2-2 has joined its sibling in matching boxes to wait till needed for running and display.

IMG_4944.JPG IMG_4945.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    zathros, Gandolf50 and swampdaddy41 like this.
  14. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Here are two different color combinations for the C&O Silver ,Blue and yellow F7A paint schemes.
    frank

IMG_4948 M.JPG
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 1:31 AM
    swampdaddy41 and zathros like this.
  15. zathros

I love the "POCHER RENO 4-4-0". She's a beauty!! :)
  16. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

She certainly is. And this one is a good runner, clean and in very good shape.
    zathros likes this.