Oldies but Goodies. The Old Stuff.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You read the forum "Photo Upload Problem", right? We suffered a "Denial of service" attack on the network, and it has destroyed hard drives and servers. $1000's of dollars worth of equipment ruined, and much money in trying to maintain the data flow. This takes very trained, expensive people to fix, which is better than losing the whole forum and starting from scratch again. Please, pop in more often, look what others are doing, and you could use a picture hosting service in the meantime. It's a matter of how much effort you want to put into it. Just like people who look at what you post. Your visits support the forum.

http://www.zealot.com/threads/photo-upload-problem.179717/

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
IMG_1173 -M.JPG
An old beat up Bell of the eighties I got at the Allentown First frost train show last weekend. For sure it has seen better days.

Last edited:
Reactions: zathros

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
** All very nice Bill. I also like modeling the 1800's Railways. I should start soon on a terminal depot of the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company. It was the first one built on the Hudson river in New Jersey. I just need to get over to the Newark NJ Museum and its main Library. The Jersey City library had very little on their first railroad terminal. They had a map of the city in 1848 and in a lower corner was a drawing a part of the Hudson River shoreline. Lucky enough a view of most of the terminal front was there. Though the detail was sparse the basic construction of the terminal front could be seen. On the same map, the block on which the terminal has located a footprint of the terminal was shown. From this one map, 80% of the information on this Terminal is found. Now I will try for more info as I said in Newark, and after that Trenton NJ and their main congressional Library. Then maybe I can draw up a better view of this terminal. Or even better, a copy of there picture.
frank
Right now this my sketch of this terminal. It is only the Headhouse seen from the corner of Montgomery and Hudson streets.

View attachment 155993

Edit new reply 12-20-20117, I made a new drawing of that first terminal in Jersey City. It looks a little better I hope.
* Here you in 1843 on the east side of Hudson Street, looking west. Across from you is the newly redecorated Depot of the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company. It appears as though it is an Ancient Greek or Roman temple. A few months ago the last time I was here you could still see the original Depot structure. A large group of men were busy working around the outside of the depot and now wow, what a building!
frankAM&J v5 1838 p-106 1848 map tower.jpg

Last edited:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Back in August I went to a Train show in Edison NJ. I found a Die-Cast streamlined steam engine with no tender and it was broken. It must have been dropped on its drivers for they were broken. I didn't pay much for it and had ideas of fixing it. At one of the forums I visit a member there informed me as to what it was, who made it, and when. It was made in France in 1948 by a company referred to as BLZ. Not that many were ever made and they were sold in black or later in 1950 Green. One was recently sold on E-bay in Europe for 500 pounds ( around $750 at the time). It was a green one and was in excellent condition. They were AC powered with center rail pickup, and like Marklin need 3 rail track to operate. None of this matters to me because I run 12 DC 2 rail. Basically what I bought was a nice looking die-cast streamlined steam engine body for 10 bucks. I tried different spare drives that I have and found only one that fit. it is a Lilliput 4-6-0 drive with smaller drivers. The original drive is for a 4-6-2 Pacific.
I'll show you a photo of how it was when I got it. you can see the broken drivers.

IMG_9580 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: Cybergrinder

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Here it is with the replacement drive in it. Now I will be putting a cab interior in this locomotive and I want to kitbash the tender so it appears as the original one. The tender I am using is from a Sakai Champ 2-6-2.

IMG_9910 - M.JPG
frank

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Here is my first posting of where I am today with my BLZ rebuild. First I will try a dark green paint. I am lettering it for the CRR of NJ. Using Pacific number 868. My yellow lines are all falling apart so I won't be applying them today. Here is where I am.
frankIMG_9919 -S.JPG

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Years back I got from a friend in trade this Jouef 231 HO Nord locomotive.

It looked like this.

Before reworked s.jpg

ThenI I gave it a rebuild and repaint and added a tender to this.

Jouef Pacific 1 S.JPG

It is now A PGW 231 pacific

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That is a sweet collection of cars and engines. They all have so much character. New trains could use some character, they mostly look like refrigerators laid down on their sides going down the tracks.. If someone came out with a streamlined beauty, people wouldn't know how to react, but there would be one. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Edit new reply 12-20-20117, I made a new drawing of that first terminal in Jersey City. It looks a little better I hope.
* Here you in 1843 on the east side of Hudson Street, looking west. Across from you is the newly redecorated Depot of the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company. It appears as though it is an Ancient Greek or Roman temple. A few months ago the last time I was here you could still see the original Depot structure. A large group of men were busy working around the outside of the depot and now wow, what a building!
frankView attachment 162353

Beautiful drawing. You should post some of your drawings in the "Renders and Illustrations" section, they're fantastic!! ;)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I have an odd request for TopTrain, or anybody out there:

Mantua made a little davenport DIESEL that was an 0-4-0 with SIDERODS and counterweights. I came across it looking in my 1992 Walther's Catalogue. Does anybody have one of those? I'd love to find one.

MilesWestern, your not alone in this quest. That was a model released towards the end of Mantua production after they had gone to China to get the models built giving them a much higher list price. This is before acquisition by Model Power and the change to Mantua Classics. Price was high and not a lot of them were sold.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
MilesWestern, your not alone in this quest. That was a model released towards the end of Mantua production after they had gone to China to get the models built giving them a much higher list price. This is before acquisition by Model Power and the change to Mantua Classics. Price was high and not a lot of them were sold.

You really have an eye for the coolest, most appealing trains. You chose the cars and engines that take you back to an earlier time. :)

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Thank you Zathros. I do enjoy them.
* Nowhere in "Oldies but Goodies" I'll post not just an old train set, but a Historically old train set.

This is the " Der Adler" made by Trix. It is a model of the first train to run in central Europe.
frank.
IMG_2043 M TRIX DC -S.JPG IMG_2045 Trix Dc -S.JPG IMG_2046 The Adler loco M Trix -S.JPG

* Here in vintage is the place for this historical, and old, Trix HO set the "DER Adler". This was the first train to run in Germany. Many of those old single driver locomotives were either made here or imported in the 1840s. The 2-2-2 was very common in England and France. Like the early PRR, when they needed a large heaver loco they just made bigger 4-4-0's, the French did the same with the 2-2-2 type. They made some very large 2-2-2s that dwarfed the engineer and fireman, as though in viewing this Adler 2-2-2 with n scale people as crew.
frank

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's a beauty!! A lot of people would have kept it in the box, to sell at some later date. I like that you have set it up, very cool indeed! :)