My first serious layout!

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
cool, glad you got it working, I have to agree, I couldnt decide which system to get untill I made it to the Okla. City train show and looked at them(no LHS around here). It is the perfect setup for my layout. OK, I'll let this thread get back to your layout ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
Miles,

I have'nt flaked out. I just have'nt been able to get over to the Perris depot. I have floor plans of the depot but I'm sure you do too. If not, I'll email them over to you.

Jeff

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
Hi Miles,:wave:

your plan is about the same size as my " new " layout which is 12x8. I've taken over our dining room!!:D Not my plan i admit, a slightly altered Ian Rice plan but it gives me all that i want and saves me a lot of time in coming up with something almost the same !!!:rolleyes:
Hope to get some pics on The Gauge soon. :)
Dennis

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
CCT70, and Cadillac SD9 live close by....and Cadillac has a camera! :D
To tide you over, here's another picture of the San Jacinto Area:
Hemet4sm.JPG

Ahh...Old California! Eureka! For I have found thee. :)

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
That's facing south toward the Hemet Depot right? I remember Gibbles lumber yard from the seventies. Miles, where are you getting these cool photos?

Jeff

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
MilesWestern said:
CCT70, and Cadillac SD9 live close by....and Cadillac has a camera! :D
To tide you over, here's another picture of the San Jacinto Area:
Hemet4sm.JPG

Ahh...Old California! Eureka! For I have found thee. :)

Tempting!

If my car wasn't acting stupid on a drive to Copperopolis and back tonight, I'd do it. Sounds like I got a cylinder misfiring on the "G-Ride" (Granny mobile). The rain screwed my Saturday plans too, but Sunday I'll be parked on the couch watching the NHRA Winternationals, so no dice there. :thumb:

Hey Miles, surely SOMEONE close to you there has GOT to have a camera? Heck, even if it is a camera phone!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Sorry I got to the party late.....got any pics?..........:D
had to do it:eek:ops:
Miles, we'll wait patiently....good luck:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, I never get tired of seeing these old SoCal pics. If you got some more, please share them with us :wave: .

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Of course I'll share them with you guys! :) I just don't want to run out of my stash of old photos too quick! ;) These photos are from a Friend, Marty Quaas, and the photos are used with his permission.

I took my digital camera to Adolph Gasser Photography in "The City" ( what the locals call San Francisco...and DON'T you EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT CALLING IT "FRISCO"!!! :curse: ARRGH! The SLSF didn't EVEN MAKE IT CLOSE TO HERE! :rolleyes: ) Anyway, It'll be back in a month. tick tick tick tick tick...so until then, I'll see if I can get some folks to stop by with their cameras! :rolleyes:

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
Miles, I also enjoy the older pictures your posting. I grew up in a little town in oklahoma where Santa Fe had a little depot and was a big part of keeping the town alive. Spawn of Chaos mentioned the genesis F series so I thought I would post a pic of one, It is my first athearn and so far I am real happy with it. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your layout.......... ............ ............... st

Attachments

• ebay 6 021.jpg
    ebay 6 021.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 155

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
jawdrop WOWZA!!! Could you send that lokie to me, and I promise they'll be lots of photos of it on my layout! :D

Anyway...now to something more serious: OPERATIONS.

I know any layout I build would be worthless without operational capibility, how would any of the things get to market otherwise?!
eek.gif
I'm building a point-to-point layout, with alot of operational interest. I've researched my prototype, and intend to operate it the way it's intended. Like any modelrailroader, I will take some modeler's license. I've replaces a wye with a turntable, and added a building here and there to enhance the operations along the sleepy San Jacinto Branch of the Real AT&SF. I've also decided to take the liberty of PLAUSIBLY (and carefully) looking through each town's history to see where I could change it a smidge to my liking. I've also, like many here, taken the liberty of creating my own railroad, the Mission Valley and Pacific, which would interchange with the real branch, and add some more traffic to the otherwise dead-end branch, that actually was built to go all the way to san diego, and it did for awhile, until rockslides permanently closed that line. Through twisting history, say the MV&P bought the Real California Southern, and re-opened the pass...now that sleepy backwater branch would be a hotshot mountain pass rivaling Raton, or Cajon!
smile.gif
This careful research lead to many plausible opportunities that make this hobby more fun for me!
smile.gif

I was thinking that this layout would work well with about 4 operators. One for the "local" one shuffling cars in the yard at Highgrove, A holster, and a passenger local. Then everyday except sunday there'd be a mixed freight daily! :cool:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Just read this thread for the first time. Miles, sounds like you really want to do this thing right the first time. Good for you! I like the ideas you have, and am looking forward to seeing how you take it from ideas to reality.