My first serious layout!

Gary S.

If I decide not to use them, I'll give them to you, seriously. But I probably won't make that decision for awhile as I am concentrating on the north and east shelves now, the west shelves will be for later.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and progress!:)

MilesWestern

Alrighty Folks, here we go again! Check out more progress as it comes along!

-Modules are moved, and in place!
-Track laid, but needs to be connected
-Wiring needs to be finished
-Buildings need some repair after being moved around.
-Backdrop needs installation!
-and fun needs to be had! :thumb:

Stay tuned!

Gary S.

So you were able to save some of your work? Good job.

I tried the link in your sig, but it didn't seem to go to your pics. Am I missing something? I really want to see what you've done. How about some more commentary? What are you going to do with your larger space?

MilesWestern

Well, here we go! Here's some photos of the last operation session (and the only one) to take place in the "old" garage. The "New garage is just perfect! It's finished , floors, walls, windows and ceilings (and doors) make it the perfect layout space, and even better...It has EXCELLENT lighting! (but we'll get to that in my next post)

So, up first is my friend Kevin's P2k GP20 with QSI sound (SWEET!) :mrgreen:

Moving001.jpg

Moving015.jpg

Moving016.jpg

Moving022.jpg

Moving021.jpg

Up next is a relative overall shot of the layout.

Moving002.jpg

Transfer Facility

Moving003.jpg

Moving010.jpg

Moving017.jpg

The Local comes off the main into the Hemet Branchline.
Moving012.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos! Stay tuned for regular updates!

Richfield Oil
Moving005.jpg

Commuter Operations mimic those found on the SF peninsula
Moving006.jpg

Moving009.jpg

Moving013.jpg

Our Brass Hat, Casey, preparing 6-pin phone wire for the DCC system.
Moving011.jpg

Gary S.

I'm anxiously waiting to see what you can do with your new space! Have you already started on it, or are you still moving in?

MilesWestern

I'm already settled in my new space! All I need to do is re-connect my modules, and connect my track together again, and I'm ready for scenery! :)

MilesWestern

On another note, I started building some service buildings for my Roundhouse out of actually wrecked MOW cars! Here's a photo of The Kitchen/Dining Hall. Both were repainted a couple months later (after my layout is set, that is!) It's one of those buildings that's horrible outside, and spotlessly clean inside. :)
layout81007006.jpg

layout81007008.jpg

layout81007009.jpg

Overall shot of the Terminal as of yesterday:
layout81007001.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW so many great pics Miles :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I love the Transfer Facility :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Im planning on making a lil module on a piece of plywood with that building

Nice looking MOW cars turned service buildings too :thumb: :thumb:

Looks like your having TONS of fun, I cant wait to get started on my BIG layout :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MilesWestern

Alright! I made some interesting progress in the last couple of days!
I:
A.-Started to lay wooden crossings for my roads on my layout!
B.-Cosmetically Restored my Catwhisker F7A from it's fate with a gravel parking lot a few weeks prior!
c.-sorted out My Engine Terminal..All I need is a sand drying rack, and the large walthers steel water tank, and I'm SET! :)
Let's do a game first!
CAN YOU CORRECTLY NAME ALL THE ENGINES (and their Manufacturers) in the following photos?
Hint: There's one Brass locomotive (The most produced brass offering in history) There's one that's 50+ years old (as a model!) and there's one with two manufacturers..shell and mechanism, can you get them all?
layout81607024.jpg

layout81607021.jpg

layout81607018.jpg

4.Right & 5. left
layout81607022.jpg

6.Right & 7. Left
layout81607023.jpg

..and the restored #8!
layout81607030.jpg

CAN YOU GUESS THEM ALL?

MilesWestern

Sorry, it would be too expensive for my railroad to electrify at that point in history..It came from a crushing "Great depression" of the 1930's millions in debt, and almost bankrupt, which was paid off with huge revenue during the WW2 era, and is now riding high on the rebirth of their profitable railroad once again...just profitable enough to afford a small fleet of diesels. (about 10-15 EMD and ALCo products) The Only GE product is the boxcab, which used to be an I-R/(ingersoll-rand)GE/ Alco product back in the '20's. the cab was maintained, but it now rides on GE70 tonner components. It was converted from fuel oil to diesel as well.

Look for a bunch of SCENERY photos tonight! :)

MilesWestern

ALRIGHT! Scenery! :) This first bit of scenery is of "The Cut" and the quarry that mines gravel, and yellow/gold granite. They ship the gravel out by rail, and occasionally, the granite as well.

This first view is of the Granite company's numer 5, a 0-6-0T, rusted by steam and faded by the harsh california sun, it will live just a few months into the future before it is either sold for parts or scrapped.

quarry005.jpg

quarry004.jpg

This is looking into the cut, the walls on either side will feature real sandstone/granite walls!

quarry003.jpg

The hill from which the material comes from, and the larger mine is located off the layout.
quarry002.jpg

Now some shots of the loader and surrounding area.

quarry009.jpg

quarry008.jpg

quarry007.jpg

quarry006.jpg

The machine is out of the era (1954) but it's just there for the time being until I fine some period earthmoving equipment..any ideas?

quarry001.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my progress as much as I had making it! :)

Gary S.

Woohoo! Miles, you are doing great! The scenery is looking good, excellent color and texture, it looks real. And I like that crane too!

Keep up the good work and post pics so I can steal your ideas.:wave:

MilesWestern

Will do! :) Say, Gary (OR ANYBODY!), do you have any conveyor belt kits I could trade you for? How about old signal tower kits? Anything? PM me.

Gary S.

No conveyors or signal towers. I was going to scratchbuild some conveyors for the potato packer building, but now I am not sure it is going to be that, it may just be a warehouse. Thought about scratchbuilding them?

elf

you will have to forgive me and i hope have patience for my ignorance....i have been apart of this forum for far to long but never made any contrabutions to it....i cant find the start new thread button....i read what others write and look at the links i see and like and print and build what i find....but i cant show anyone else the work i am proud of and i cant share any of the fun stuff i stumble upon...u happened to be the first person my arrow clicked on so that is why i picked u to write....and i liked the pic i saw of the train....

MilesWestern

well, start by getting a photobucket album.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Once you've created that, you can post your images onto this forum by using the [IMG/] tags located under your newly uploaded photo on photobucket. Just copy and paste your [IMG/] tag into your message and you're ready to share! :) Hope this helps!
----------------------------------------------------------

....And for all of you, please stay tuned for a variation on hminky's scenery techniques, you'll just have to see which one ;)

doctorwayne

you will have to forgive me and i hope have patience for my ignorance....i have been apart of this forum for far to long but never made any contrabutions to it....i cant find the start new thread button....i read what others write and look at the links i see and like and print and build what i find....but i cant show anyone else the work i am proud of and i cant share any of the fun stuff i stumble upon...u happened to be the first person my arrow clicked on so that is why i picked u to write....and i liked the pic i saw of the train....

The "New Thread" button is to the left of the screen, one line above the wide black bar which is displayed immediately above the list of Threads in any Forum.

Wayne