My first serious layout!

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
love the track plan. I can't wait to see some progress photos, and I will be in following your progress with interest, especially when you do the scenery and the buildings as I will eventually also be modeling a SoCal location, but a fictive location most likely based loosely on the Simi Valley, Moorpark, Fillmore area.

Since you are modeling a specific location I assume you will be scratch building most of the buildings?, can’t wait to see that either.

Jesper

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
That's great, everybody! I'm happy you're thrilled with the photos. :)

Today, I spent the bigbucks buying switches, and got myself a brand-new Digitrax Zephyr!! :thumb: It looks so cool, I can't wait till I can lay down some track and digitize my rails! :cool: It's glad it comes with all the buttons of a DT400, and a powerpack to boot! Whee!

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_zep_basic_set.php

So far I have 3 2'X4' modular, and 2 3.5'X2' modules, with more on the way. If you look at the trackplan, I have the Perris Depot module, the city module (Orange Ave.) and the back corner, along with the curvy module that connects with the hemet industrial district. San Jacinto, and Highgrove is represented by a pile of lumber on my floor, which may join the rest reasonably soon! :cool: After the modules are built, it's time to lay track, and that's when the progress pics start! :thumb:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
After the modules are built, it's time to lay track, and that's when the progress pics start!

Hurry up, Miles, the suspense is hard to bear sign1 . I am really looking forward to see your progress. If I had the space, I’d love to build this layout myself.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
wickman said:
I really like the look of the plan , when will you start?:wave:

Well, since I just got my throttle, and have purchased the track and roadbed already...it should be sometime very soon! yay!:thumb:

Thanks CNW! :) I have a work session tommorow with a couple of friends (barring bad weather) want to stop by? :D

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
I cant wait to see some layout progress pics, but dont forget benchwork pictures are better than nothing,,, ,,, and I think your really going to like the zepher,, when I got mine I went ahead and got the UT4R throttle but have since upgraded to the DT400R,, for me it makes an awesome package,,,, main reason for the 400r was so I could could controll two trains when walking around the layout, and as I have read on here, it makes for some cornfield meets once in a while,,,, ,,,, way cool,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, st

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Sidetracked, I already purchased a DT100 for use on the club layout, so I guess I'm ahead of the game! Now what I really need is a sound equipped locotive! :thumb: Deano, any comments? :D

Joesho, I know, I need to get a camera first! :rolleyes:

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Well, I've frankly had my eye on one of the Roundhouse 4-4-0's. They look great, and pull well, and they impress me. As for diesels, perhaps an Athearn F7 or Intermountain in Catwhisker scheme? Maybe a pair of geeps pictured in the yellow and blue pinstripe scheme...Anyways, I'm really impressed at those GP30's (Assumes that it's the P2k version) It comes with a great horn, and excellent sounds, but keep the volume LOW, as the turbo whine gave a room of previously happy guests a headache! :D Should be alot of fun for you! :)

No engine is really "turning my crank of enthusiasm" at the moment. what I really desire is more progress, so I may be able to lay tracks sometime THIS century! :rolleyes: only 93 years to go! sign1

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Thanks CNW! I have a work session tommorow with a couple of friends (barring bad weather) want to stop by?

Sorry, Miles, can’t make it to your work session – missed my flight sign1 .

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Kurt! sign1 Well, we did make A LOT of progress! :thumb: We've finished off building the yard modules at highgrove, next comes track and roadbed! :cool: We also got the oddly shaped triangle module finished, and we'll still need to get some legs. :rolleyes: Olny three modules to go, the two Hemet modules, and the San Jacinto module with the turntable. Woot!! bounce7 More to come...

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Well, THE BENCH WORK IS COMPLETE!!! bounce7 I cannot believe how large this layout looks! (wish you guys could see it!) :rolleyes: I finally got my Zephyr to work in both forward and reverse, so that's all said and done.

Next comes cork...and track!

...and a camera! :)

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, the most important thing to do for you now, is to get a camera :D . We are all anxiously waiting for pics :wave: .

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
lol,,, I guess that finger just bends a little easier to hit the coma key.... but i will work on it.. ... One thing I'm not is a good typer...High school was a long time ago.
Did you have to send your zephry in or was it something easily fixed....(If you already said somewhere I missed it).. ..... st

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Oh, I think it just needed a little use! :rolleyes: it must have been a little bit of residue on the contact. No problems now, it works! :thumb: I would reccomend this system to EVERY new model railroader, even the price (for all the options!) cannot be beat. Hands down. :cool: