Looking for an Armored car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim mccoin

My impression of a Type 37 Bugatti, .045 cold rolled steel, various diameters of welding wire and cold rolled rod.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC02688.jpg
    DSC02688.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02689.jpg
    DSC02689.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02690.jpg
    DSC02690.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02691.jpg
    DSC02691.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02692.jpg
    DSC02692.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02693.jpg
    DSC02693.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 9
Z

Zathros

Incredible, absolutely incredible! If you ever wanted to sullen your hands with a paper version, the website below has a collection of the nicest ones in paper, maybe even plastic, depending on who builds it, I have ever seen.

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kamaboko/1_30model/

060925.jpg

jim mccoin

No no no, I wouldn't think of working with paper, when I screw up a piece of steel, I can weld it, file it and sand it, then the screw up disapears:cool:

Jim

Z

Zathros

You would not believe how many times you can find yourself printing out a whole sheet of paper because you mess up one part. Then of course, you have more spares! :)

robot

i'm a paper shredder
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys.
See you later. Can I have them please ?"

jim mccoin

Did I tell you guys these large projects take forever. I had a lot of interuptions last fall and didn't work on the RR AC for quite a while, I'm setting it aside for a while to focus on three motorcycles. I'll post them as they progress.

The Rolls to date

Jim

Attachments

• DSC02696.jpg
    DSC02696.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02697.jpg
    DSC02697.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02698.jpg
    DSC02698.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC02699.jpg
    DSC02699.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 7
Z

Zathros

You must have incredibly strong hands, arms and neck. This kind of work is hard!!! :)

jim mccoin

Wrong!, .045 cold rolled moves quite easily, its all technique and leverage:thumb: . The hard part is not welding your self into a corner, I hate cutting things apart :cry: These projects are nothing more than elaborate puzzles that happen to look like something .

Decades ago a very skilled Tig welder taught me how to "work smart not hard" save your body.

My version of a Morgan Trike, mid to late 20's

Jim.

Attachments

• 312.jpg
    312.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 7
Z

Zathros

I have a Miller Econotig, a Milling machine, and SouthBend 9" Lath BackGear, and all the tooling to go with it, rotary tables, indexing tables. I am so impressed by this work. Cold rolled .45 isn't too bad, but face it, our designs are absolutely brilliant! :)

jim mccoin

I have a Miller Econotig, a Milling machine, and SouthBend 9" Lath BackGear, and all the tooling to go with it, rotary tables, indexing tables. I am so impressed by this work. Cold rolled .45 isn't too bad, but face it, our designs are absolutely brilliant! :)

No no, .045 cold rolled, thin enough to shape and thick enough to file and sand.

Take care.

Jim

Z

Zathros

That's basically a millimeter thick, add a couple of thousands. I was mostly trying to express to having all this machinery, and still not being to do what you do! :)

jim mccoin

I probably told you guys I'm setting the RR AC aside for a while to concentrate on a few motorcycles. For the next few days I'm in wheel building mode, this is how you can do this without a lathe, I have a air eraser, an airbrush that shoots fine grit instead of paint to clean up the oxide on welded parts.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC02704.jpg
    DSC02704.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 7
Z

Zathros

What are you welding with? I would be interested in every step of this process explained, if it isn't asking too much. I love your work. I am thinking a metal working subsection might by a good idea, as you are more than welcome here.!! :)

jim mccoin

Hey, a little while ago I did a good interview with the guys at "Good Spark Garage" you might check it out.

Over the next couple of days I'll post some of the do's and dont's of working with thin material and small diameter wire.

Jim

jim mccoin

Welding wise, I use a Miller Maxstar 150. Its 120 volt DC only, since most of what I do is in the 30 to 50 AMP range its just fine. With the low amperage I'm used to, you can do a quick tack about a 1/2" from where you're holding the metal

Most of my tungsten is 1/16", I cut the 7" tungsten in half using the medium wheel on my bench grinder, grind a point on each end then do a fine polish on the 1/42" belt sander, I uasuly prep 2 or 3 tungstens at a time that way when I dip the tungsten or touch it with filler wire I have a new one handy. You will contiminate your tungstens.

The other tool that I must have is a 25" 18ga. max bench shear, I'v used Beverly shears, tin snips and aircraft shears all my life, but nothing can cut a crisp straight edge like a shear.

If you have two pieces of sheetmetal with a clean metal to metal edge you can do a series of small tacks and the joint will dissapear, no need for a full length weld.

I drill very few holes, most of the holes I need are done with a Whitney Junior punch. The holes in the RR AC turret are a series of punched holes and a file is used to connect them. The strip of metal in the photo with all the holes is a template for rims, I clamp it to another strip and punch the spoke holes, I'll do a photo of the wire wheel building process in a day or so.

We'll continue this in a day or so.

Jim

jim mccoin

Hey again,

I need to know how much welding you have do done, to know where to start. Its pointless to go over ground you've already covered.

When someone has not welded before, I recomend a class at the local junior college or vocational high school.

Take care

Jim

Z

Zathros

I ride this trike around that I used a mig and tig on. I also ave done many cat floor installations and quarter panel repairs. The trike is not a model. I machined all the shock mounts for the rear suspension and machined the hubs for the front wheels and disc brake mounts. Everything was fabricated, except for the obvious parts.

Attachments

• trike - Copy.jpg
    trike - Copy.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.