Looking for an Armored car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBear

OhioMike,
I have 4 models on the go at the moment and yes, one of them is actually a 1920 Mk1 RR Armored Car. I'm not sure how different it is to the 1924 version, but lacking enough references, I resorted to basing the underside/chassis from the original Silver Ghost of which I at least do have some sketchy details and numbers to start with. Perhaps you could also look to start there as well and dimension the rest?
Cheers!

Fishcarver

Rolls Royce Armoured Car

Pa Bear and Mike:

If, in fact, the 1:1 measurement of the wheelbase axle to axle of Mike's drawing is 135 inches, then we can start by making a scale drawing. I'll do it to 1:25 scale.

** In fact, Mike, I am actuallly doing this right now. If you would PM me with your "snail mail" address, I'll send you hard copies of the 1:25 scale drawings within the next week for your personal use ONLY.

If I can get some more info on whose drawings these are or were, I'll properly annotate them with credit and send them along to Chris Gutzmer for the archive.

Jim

Fishcarver

Mike:

I'll do the drawings.

I think Pa Bear's kits may be Panhards.

Both of you now have me clawing thru my reference books.

Will Earth ever be the same again?

El Fisho

PapaBear

Hi Mike and Fishcarver

No, I don't have a paper model kit of the RR 1920 Mk1 I mentioned, I'm not sure if there is such a kit in paper. I'm in the process of building this model in 3D so as to create my own paper model of it. Sorry if I caused confusion. I'm interstate and away from home right now otherwise I'd take a few screen caps of my wip. Won't be back till mid next week unfortunately.

Anyhow, I thought the RR 1924 vehicle you mentioned looked somewhat similar to the one I've been working on, albeit mine is a 1920 Mk1 for 1/72 and 1/35 scales. Thinking you're working on your own drawings for the 1924 pattern and are looking for chassis details, I suggested the RR Silver Ghost as I believed the armored car versions were originally derived from this chassis. Well, at least this was what I did in order to dimension the base chassis and work things out from there. There's quite a lot of reference pics out there on this great car.

Not sure if you've seen them, but there's a couple of sites that have some info on the 1920 model which might be useful for some of your own detailing.

RR1920 Mk1 at Tank Museum

Same vehicle but more photos at WarWheels site

Would love to see pics of your RR 1924 builds here when you're done.
Cheers.

PBear

PapaBear

Hi Mike
Its been a busy week for me with little sleep, sorry not to have replied earlier.
Anyway, now that I'm back behind my pooter, here's a quick shot of my wip on my 1920 version.

As you can see, I've started with the rear and the main body building up the basic shape. There's still some more primary components to go eg. fenders, front grilles, plates, lights, etc. And I'm still gathering refs on the chassis itself. I'll be tackling that shortly before detailing the rest of the model. If I can get enough info on interiors, I'll do them as well.

A lot of my dimensions come from looking up info on the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, eg. wheel sizes, bases, etc. It's not been easy but the 'hunt' is providing some 'fun'.

Anyway, soon as I finish the upper body, I'll post some more shots of my wip.
As said, I plan to do both a 1/72 and a 1/35 scale version. Its slightly slow going as I'm sharing time with a Loyd Carrier as well.

Cheers
PBear

Attachments

• 1920mk1.bmp
    151.7 KB · Views: 98

OhioMike

You missed the whole joke!! I was suggesting i needed a russian standing over my shoulder reading the web sites off to me!!! Maybe i didnt make the point very well?

jim mccoin

RR armored car ?

Well, after an hour looking around the net for info on the Rolls Royce I found this forum, Im starting a sheetmetal sculpture of a 1914 Rolls Royce armored car. What I have not found is any detail on the rear suspension, I know the Silver cloud used cantilever springs on the rear but I have yet to find a clear photo of the armored version, did it use the same set up.

Thanks

Jim McCoin

looker

Yep. Semi-elliptic cantilever, but feel free to ignore this information and also to use incorrect overall dimensions if you like.

This detail is usually hidden in photos by the unditching trays.

Attachments

• springtime.jpg
    springtime.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 343

Gixergs

Yep. Semi-elliptic cantilever, but feel free to ignore this information and also to use incorrect overall dimensions if you like.

Im sorry if the information I found is incorrect I just passed on what I found on line, if more accurate dimensions can be provided Im sure they would be appreciated

jim mccoin

Thank you, the dozen or so photos I did find do not show the springs, like you said they were covered by the unditching trays, tool boxes and such.

Although Im not doing scale models but impressions I do like details.

Thanks again

Jim

Attachments

• DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00067.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 19

OhioMike

Beautiful work. I used to build custom wrought iron fencing and gates...Strickly hammer and anvil work! I can appreciate this!

Status
Not open for further replies.