IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
A couple more pictures hope they are in focus this time.

The funnel gave me a hard time until I realised I had built part of it upside down.

I've made so many silly mistakes on this kit it ain't true !!

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Phillipe you are right building is great fun, and even better, if in the end I am not happy, then I shall build it again.

It may not translate to french but I have wanted to model this ship ever since I had a cigarette card of it in 1944.

barry

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
bonjour,
i dont now what is a "cigarette card",
i have recently place an order for the DN Yamato,
to study the kit when building the Arizona
(my orders are faster than my building work!!!
it will be dangerous fo my banker!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
bonjeur

Cigarette cards were pictures of trains, planes and ships which were inserted into packets of cigarettes in 1930 - 1950. They became collectors items.

barry

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
ok, Barry for cigarettes
my great difficult in ship building is to make the hull,
i use uhu glue along formers and white wood carpenter glue( fast drying), along the deck. i thing it's the whole difficult thing in cardmodel ship building, have you tips for that?
i am easy( boastful) and happy with details building, but making a nice hull is a great problem for me. I have built some wood models (ships, aircrafts, and when i look this cardmodels structures, i thing that it will(would) be easier to make them with some wood stringers and smooth sanding + filler an paint,
but the way of the art is perhaps here!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
ship hulls

I use white PVA glue and a cocktail stick, I only try to stick 2 or 3 formers at a time and lightly coat both parts. I also leave the the hull on the building board while I do it. I wonder sometimes if JSC have it right, they produce a hull with 2 skins. Before trying to glue the hull skin I butt joint all the sections together it stops me worrying if the bulkhead is not exactly underneath the join.

The stern skin for Takao was a little short in height after I had doubled up the deck and base so I printed out another piece cut off the waterline red section and overlaid the original and with thin paper it does not show at all.

Barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Phillippe

I forgot our polish friends are not above filling, sanding and repainting ships cardboard hulls. There are some fantastic photos of hull building there.

I liked your photo tip of using red scrap card for the lower hull.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry,
I can't believe I missed this thread for soooo long!!
Where was I? :?
That funnel looks like a downright difficult built, with so many unusual curves and all. But, as usual, you have carried it out so very well; so, you started to build it upside down, so what, as long as it came out so well in the end who cares how you got there? :D
Looking forward to more photos!
Jim

JRSeese

Feb 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
Nice work! I've never seen a funnel like that, must have been a toughie.
I am jealous of all the cats! I am allergic but I love them so... why do we have to love the things that hurt us?

Josh

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
photos takao

Hi

Fixing the hanger top deck required 3 hands but it seems to have worked out quite well.

I am still not happy with the domes on the control towers maybe I will have another go. I think I could do with one of Gil's dished steel formers.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Looking great, Barry! :D

What do they call that steel former Gil uses, is it a "dimpler" or something like that?

There might be something else lying around the house, maybe out of plastic, that has a dimple in it and is sturdy enough to use to get the smooth curve you are looking for on your radar domes. Maybe a small plastic egg (I mention that just because it's Easter time :wink: ).

My daughter has these Pokeman figures and one of them sits in a plastic base because it's a round figure, and that base looks perfect for helping to form curved surfaces in paper, particularly since it's plastic...now if I can only snatch it while she's not looking... 8) And avoid getting smacked by her Mom (a/k/a She Who Must Be Obeyed) for taking her toys. Yep, it's getting bad when you see a potential tool for paper modeling everywhere you look. :lol:
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hull frames

Hi

Thanks Jim the "boss" has just gone out so it's time to look through the kitchen drawers for a dome shaped object.

Regarding your hull problems possibly your transverse frames are not thick enough. However I have used triangular fillets either side of the frame to keep the 90 degree angle.

Hope this helps

Phillipe good tip on bows !!

Barry

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Barry!
Good tip on using fillets; why didn't I think of that, I used them all the time in wooden ship building! :roll:
And, yes Philippe, nice tip! As I understand your suggestion, you build up the complex form with cardboard, glue, whatever, and than apply the lightly glued soaked printed part (printed on normal bond paper) over the cardboard form; maybe not exactly, but sort of like a paper mache' type of technique? I sort of did that with the mast house funnels on my Mexico Victory, but it was more glue than paper, I am afraid. :wink:
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.