IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao aft deckhouses

Hi

rebuilt the aft rangefinder deckhouse and cut out the windows I think it looks better than the solid blue windows, you have to go one way or the other. Added X gun deckhouse.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao a few steps further on

Hi

Added the remaing superstructure to the conning tower and the after range finders.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
X and Y turrets

Dry fitted parts to check what needs moving trouble with photos they really show up imperfections but at least you can see what needs fixing.

Sorry if this is getting boring

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Boring??
Are you kidding?
As I am burning the midnight oil these last few nights working on my trial prep your posts and fantastic photos are a welcome breath of fresh air! :D
Barry, you really have the photography and posting down to a science. Your photos are great, crisp and I look forward to each new posting to see how she is coming along.
Looking great!
Keep them updates coming, my friend!
Jim

cygielski

Jan 31, 2004
Chicago
Just a quick question -- the turret (and most of the other surfaces now that I'm looking) seem to have a speckled appearance. Is that an issue with your printer, or is it in the design of the model? Or maybe the pics are such extreme close-ups that I'm seeing stuff you're not when looking at it in real life? I guess the question is how does it really look, and are the speckles there in the design (on your computer screen)?
I guess a size reference would be good in future pictures (just a suggestion).
Overall, it's shaping up to be an impressive model of a good looking ship.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao Main Armour

Hi

cygielski

No the problem is my camera and me, I try to get it to do too much and it keeps double flashing. I have tried to get a couple of pics showing the real colour. My printer is due for retirement I built it out of three buggered ones. In spite of that the quality of the pdf print in real life is good (it would be nice to buy a new Printer)

Jim

Thanks for the encouraging words I put a pic of Oliver Hazard on Yuki forum.

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hi, Barry,
Respect!
You are a very experienced model farmer! .Your work is a genus for my eyes. I am already stretched on the photos by ready ship. The simply first class!!

HP.
May I put left on "Kartonbau" forum to your construction report?.
I might whom my colleagues your work see!.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao Main Turrets A,B & C

Hi

I had a little production line going tonight and put together the forward turrets. Unfortunately I ran out of batteries for the camera.

Scorpio

Thanks for your comments, coming from you I count that as hgh praise.

Please feel free to do whatever you like with the topic.

I thought your catapult series for Bismark was incredible. I always wondered how they covered up the rail track accross the ship. Now I know.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao Fore Deck

Hi

Finally it is looking like a cruiser.

A photograph from the bow makes a change.

I will probably rebuild C turret because I did not get a perfect cylinder to hold the barrels within the turret so that it has a problem trying to find enough friction to hold the barrels level.

It's on CD so no problem I will just do another until I am happy.

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Wow! Beautiful work, Barry!

The enormous variety of shapes on that cruiser is staggering, but you've managed to execute it all so very well. The model does have me wondering though, when you're building a card model on a wooden base like that, do you still find it necessary to reinforce/laminate the model's base plate?

AJ

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Base board

Ajax - I keep the model on the baseplate whilst I build it, basically my hands do not always respond to what I ask of them and the board gives me a good grip on the model.

Eventually I will slice it off the board with an old fashioned Sheffield flat steel sharp dinner knife (hopefully) else it stays on the board and I will have to simulate water. I would like to do that anyway. I will try experimenting on some old model to see if cling film will waterproof the hull while I do it. (If anybody has tried this please let me know)

My other worry is that high raked bows can make the flat plate go banana shaped if not held in place.

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Ah. I was thinking that the wooden base was intended to be a permanent part of the display. I hadn't considered that its purpose was to help the hull maintain its shape during construction.

AJ

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao Hull fix

Hi

Finally reached the stage when I could patch the bodged hull sides. I cut out a segment running from the catapult control to the join in the hull plates. Seems to blend in allright anyway.

It should be well hidden by the addition of the strengthening struts for the catapult.

The pale grey/blue streak is a printer fault it always fouls up on the last .25 inches of a pdf.

barry

Status
Not open for further replies.