IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Krauzlis

I would say you were successful, since I don't see the point where it blends!
Coming along very well, Barry!
Enjoying looking at your photos, and that of Alfred and Scorpio, when I get the chance.
Can't wait to get back to my Mexico Victory, but not likely for a few more weeks because of work.
Keep them photos coming!! :D
Jim

barry

Foredeck vents and hatches

Slow progress you have to be careful of the height of the ventilators if you want the guns to rotate.

barry

Scorpio

Hello Barry,
Your work earns the biggest praise.
You work nicely and clean what is very important with the model construction.
Farther in such a way!

With the best greetings
Scorpio

Jim Krauzlis

Say, Barry, she's really looking great!
I very much enjoy seeing your update photos as she slowly but surely comes together. :D
Jim

barry

Ships boats aft

Hi

Got tired of ventilators built a couple of boats instead. Maurice pointed out Roman's new method of building boats so I tried to emulate his new style.

I printed another set of boats out and chopped out all the seats and glued the resulting outline to the one uncut on the sheet it improved the appearance and also strengthened the seating frame. You can just about see it in the bow of the large whaler in the photograph.

Sorry about the pic's my camera is still giving trouble on flash.

barry

ps. has anyone tried using the German Ebay site they seem to have good prices on there and they look like the genuine article, "Orp Slazak" = 5 euro + p&p

barry

decent day for a photo

First time the sun has been out for days so at the risk of repetition a couple more.

Takao finally has a Chrysanthemum on the bow.

Barry

barry

Ships boats

Finished the ships boats.

Started on the flak guns, I used some scrap printouts and doubled the gunshield to get the right colour inside, worked well with thin card. I will put the guts inside as I want to train them fore and aft.

barry

barry

Catapults

Hi

First catapult completed, a bit nerve wracking on the last four cutouts.

I scored the folds before beginning the cutouts it would have been impossible for me to try it afterwards.

Maurice

As the fountain of knowledge round here, can you tell me of a site which would show a good photograph of Takao's deck railings please ?

barry

barry

Thanks Jim. Have you had any modelling time recently or are you still on the High Court kick.

best regards

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Alas, Barry, no modeling time, still on trial. :cry:
Ah, but a faint but growing light can be seen at the end of the tunnel...we finish our witnesses on Monday and have closing arguments Tuesday! :D
Hopefully then things can get back to being as near to normal as my life usually is... :lol:
Many thanks to you and the others on this forum, though, for blessing me with your update photos so I can catch some awesome modeling in the midst of it all! :D
Jim

Maurice

Barry

Is that your way of calling me a "squirt". :lol:

Unfortunately Japanese heavy cruisers predated that nation's predilection for pointing cameras at everything :lol: and pics of them are scarce.
There are drawings of the species which you may find useful at http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponBook/Jap_Cr_1/Draw/page_01.htm
and a few more amongst those at
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponBook/Jap_Cr_2/Draw/page_02.htm
probably the sum total of available good pictures is at
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponBook/Jap_Cr_2/Pictures/index.htm

IJNS Takao is represented amongst these.

It occurs to me that Roman's lifeboat thwart technique might well be adapted for catapult construction. I have used something like it for similar sorts of structures.

And many thanks for showing us your very interesting build of a not easy subject.

Maurice

barry

Takao info

Jim

Hope you win

Maurice

A "squirt" never more like a hosepipe, interesting thought about the catapults. The trouble is they always look just a little "flat" I will have to try it.

Thanks for the sites.

Barry

barry

Takao catapults

Both catapults installed, I never realised how tight they were for space on this class of cruiser before, note the deckhouse shape to accomodate the large whalers. The catapults have problems training fore and aft with the other boats.

Just a note on Digital Navies accuracy, on the AA guns one side is flat but the other has a small curve in it to allow the rotation to pass the deckhouse.

barry

barry

More and more about less and less

Main mast head dreading the next bit which is to fix the tripod mast and I'm not too good at that. Sorry about the colour but I couldn't take this one outside.

barry

barry

Tripod masts

Scorpio I am not, but it fitted together very well it's probably not to scale because I had to trim the tripod legs to fit.

It looks level a bit more glue in the morning and it should be strong enough for the rigging.

barry

Status
Not open for further replies.