Helping Underpriviledged Children!!!

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
thanks leroy, I have saved the pics to my hard drive, and will pass them on to my club, weather or not they make it into the clubs newsletter is up to the editor, you sure have a great looking bunch of kids/future trainnuts there, as i have said befor have fun the lot of you.... have a good one..steve

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
More Pictures

Hey gang here is my first and second period class. In the second picture the boy in front is Champ, he has Cerebral Palsy and is in a wheel chair. The train in the first pic is one donated by E Mo Ry that makes nice sounds. The kids said hey and thanks for helping them have a club to represent their school. We dont even have anything done yet and already they are wanting to be able to take it to show other kids...kinda like a mobile layout to show their stuff. Guess I need to get to work on that...lol.

77Railer

Attachments

• Mvc-033s.jpg
    Mvc-033s.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Mvc-031s.jpg
    Mvc-031s.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 115

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Best teaching practices!!!

Hope yalls screens dont break...lol. The first pic is Stephano and I in the computer lab...Im not sure how that second pic got on here....not exactly good teaching practice but Dwayne doesnt mind getting roughed up,lol.

Attachments

• Mvc-034s.jpg
    Mvc-034s.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Mvc-035s.jpg
    Mvc-035s.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 104

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Hey leroy, always thought you were a hands on teacher, when you get a hold on a suject, you realy grab it by the throat...:D :D :D :D HEY kids..have a good one..steve

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
77railer said:
I got questions like, why these people sending stuff to us for?, and "Mr. S these people rich? Must be to be sending this nice stuff for free." Ya'll have no idea of the impact this will have and has already had on these kids lives.

These kids make us rich and our "wealth" will only grow if it in any way helps these kids to see beyond their world. Thanks for the pics... :thumb:

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
We worked on the layout today. Laid some foam down. Had the kids measure the area and cut the foam to fit. Will post pictures on that later. I spoke to the kids about the GATS show coming our way in april and the possibility of putting out layout in the show...mostly so the kids can get in free and see all the other layouts as well as feel an accomplishment about theirs. What do yall think about that idea?

77Railer

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
That would be cool! :) You might get a few people that would give suggestions too :) :) More different ideas :) Would your school let you have some sort of fundraiser (raffle)?? You might be able to austion off something to get some more money for the supplies for the layout. :)

Good Luck!! :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
77railer said:
I spoke to the kids about the GATS show coming our way in april and the possibility of putting out layout in the show...mostly so the kids can get in free and see all the other layouts as well as feel an accomplishment about theirs. What do yall think about that idea?

77Railer

I think you should get in contact with GATS, I think they'd get a kick out of it. Space is limited so you don't want to spring it on them at the last minute. http://www.greatamericantrainshow.com/

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
I registered us for a layout under club section right after I posted the previous msg. Hope the principal dont mind. Better to ask forgivness than permission,lol. I also read that it will give our club an aditional $100 for having our layout there. Which will definetly come in handy,lol.

77Railer

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Hey leroy,
The $100.00 fee might help with the princaples forgivness, cerntantly cant hurt. good luck with the layout and the show if you go ahead with it. Say G`day to the kids from us downunder.. have a good one..steve

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Im asking for suggestions on the best way to display our pictures and info as we go along? Do I keep posting them in this thread that will get longer and longer and longer,lol. Or should I pt them somewhere else on the Gauge for all to see? Any ideas....going to be taking pictures every step of the way....

77Railer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Well, the kids finished laying the foam today. We used carpet tape to hold it down....strong enough to hold it but not permanent which is what we need. They also put together the powerloc track that was donated and installed the turnouts I got them with donated money over the weekend. They assembled the 8 curves and set them on the foam. None of the track has been perm put down yet...just piecing it together. I think we are going to use yellowlynns method of using clear silicone to lay the track and where a seam comes together we might use a spike so they can be removed for transport. Im going to talk to the principal during 5th period and see what she says about the GATS show. Wont have time to work on the layout today gotta grade papers. Go figure, I actually work,lol. Hope to post pics of this weeks progress later this week.

77Railer
Thanks go out for the latest donations....$100 via paypal from Docsnavely, several nice HO turnouts from MuddyCreek, and three very useful books from an unknown source!!!

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
well if I used grades that pertain to model RR no one would get more than a 4,lol. Maybe I will Give them 10 points for being involved...and 2 points for everyday that they attend class. Which if they came everyday would give them a 100. I was talking with them earlier today and told them that by the time the actual club met again they wouldnt recognize things,lol.

77Railer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Had the kids dry fit some models today. A coal tower for the boys...and a switch station for the girls. They enjoyed the frustration of putting them together without glue,lol. They said mr s why wont they stay together, I said I know...you dont have any glue....today there was only 7 in class so it was nice and organized....tomorrow I wont be so lucky....

77Railer

richalex2010

Jan 31, 2005
Richmond, Va
Models

I have a couple of Atlas HO scale models, as I thought I modeling HO and bought them, but I switched to N the next day... I built them and weathered them (Test subjects), though the weathering is a bit heavy, you could use them. This project is agood idea... I wish my school had a RR club. Just wondering, what state do you live in? Good luck. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: