Helping Underpriviledged Children!!!

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Thanks Guys. I am supposed to find out today if I get transferred to elementary school. Will have to give you guys an update once I get the word.

77Railer
Put in my P.O. for 25 model rockets. Hopefully those will be in soon. Kids are gonna love that.

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Thanks go out to those who have sent goodies in the past two weeks. I really appreciate everything ya'll have helped out with. Im excited about going to a modular layout and looking foward to seeing what the kids can do with their own reality to work with. Been thinking about what Im going to do with my module as well. Got some other things inthe works right now and will let everyone know how things are going as they get going.

77Railer
Alex can you pm me please?

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
well Leroy, did you get transfered to elementary school, have not heard anything on that post from you, and If you did what happens to the kids of Mayewood RR then mate...have a good one..steve

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Whether I transfer or switch districts entirely the kids at mayewood will still have me heading up their train club. The principal has agreed to do it thru an afternoon program which will allow the kids to model longer and un interrupted. Right now Im in the process of interviewing with other districts. Time will tell but the kids at Mayewood are and will remain my kids, they depend on me even if its in a miniscule way, they depend on me.

77Railer

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Well gang the verdict is in. My transfer has been officially denied and an offer has been made by the neighboring district at an elementary school less than 3 miles from my home. I have decided to accept the offer as it will mean less transit for my family and I. Right now I drive 45min to work and home. It will also mean more money for my family as well. The principal at the new school is wanting me to have a train club there as well which is also exciting. Mayewood Railroaders is being moved to the after school program and I am currently in discussion with both districts about a possible merge between districts and having a meet once or twice a year with both clubs. Wouldnt it be awsome if I could somehow get all the schools involved. Maybe a module from each school in the least that the school could design. The mayewood kids are sad that I am leaving but understand and happy that we will still get to do trains. Had an interesting conversation with the club wednesday afternoon. One student said and I quote, "Mr S, you know how people been given us stuff for the trains and all, I was thinking that its gonna take along time before people give us what we want for our modules." I said yes I agree. He then asked if it was ok if they bought their own stuff that they picked out for their parts of the layout. While this may sound trivial to some its very exciting to me as it shows that the kids (since most agreed) are showing vested interest in this. They are wanting to give something of themselves other than time and having fun to continue the hobby. I have a whole bag of tiny pieces of cut foam that various kids have been cutting since the train show for our trees and ground coverings. The encouraging words, material donations, and just someone to talk to about the trials and frustrations of having this club have been a great help in making this a success. Getting it off the ground was a task that seemed impossible to say the least. But we (you, the kids, and I) got it done. Keeping it going will be far easier. Everyone of the kids but one has agreed to be in the club next year and several others are wanting to join. With it going to afterschool we wont have to limit the members, and with moving it to the outer building we wont have to worry about people messing with our stuff anymore. Next year I get off work at 2:15 and the kids at mayewood get out at 3:20 which gives me plenty of time to get over here for the afterschool sessions on thursdays, which will allow us to meet every other week rather than once a month. I will continue to keep you updated on our progress, trials, and successes. With the summer coming the club officially wont meet, while a few students will be over to the house on occasion to play engineer in my shop. Hopefully I can get the framing for the modules complete over the summer. I wont lay the track until the kids meet again and discuss their desire for individual flare, but it will be one heck of a start to walk in and have a 2x4 area to use their imagination on. Until the next post....

77Railer

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
While digging around, I found this really heart-warming post! Aww..this is probably one of the greatest things I've seen the guage do! Perhaps we should start something like this else where....

BTW, 77railer, how's that progressing at the elementary school?