Hamilton Stuart Street Yard

grumbeast

Its been an age since I've been on the gauge and I know that this thread is a few months old, but I had to say, wonderful pics! This is the stuff I (hope) to model so its been great! thanks a bunch!

Biased turkey

Great shots! All of those stripes are making my eyes dizzy. :) Seriously, thanks for all the excellent loco shots!
Ralph

I agree. I'm modelling the CN in N scale. I don't feel like running a railroad but I feel more like running a herd of zebras .

Jacques

Biased turkey

cn nutbar, It looks like some pics were taken directly from the yard. Are you a CN employee, or are you in very good terms with the CN police ?

Jacques

RonP

Member of the WMRC
cn nutbar, It looks like some pics were taken directly from the yard. Are you a CN employee, or are you in very good terms with the CN police ?

Jacques

There is a bridge at the end of the yard and also a park right beside another area of the yard.

cntown

And there's a nice takeout place right beside the bridge that makes really good fish&chips to eat while railfanning.

7104 & 7106...what the heck are those things? I know they're diesels...duh...but seriously, what are they? You wacky Canadians and your crazy MLW!

doctorwayne

7104 & 7106...what the heck are those things? I know they're diesels...duh...but seriously, what are they? You wacky Canadians and your crazy MLW!

They're know as "Sweeps" - a combination of a Geep and an SW1200RS. In the photo below, the second loco is an unmodified SW1200RS, which was basically a SW1200 with Flexicoil trucks and a larger fuel tank. They were originally used as Road Switchers, hence the RS designation.
CN_7104_and_1364.jpg

Wayne

Awesome! Thanks for the rapid reply and great info, both of you. I love those one-off home built jobs that look like something, well, kitbashed after a few choice beverages.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Speaking of paint schemes, wouldn't it be nice for CN to do some heritage paint jobs (think green & gold ;)) like some US roads have done? :)

Andrew

doctorwayne

Speaking of paint schemes, wouldn't it be nice for CN to do some heritage paint jobs (think green & gold ;)) like some US roads have done? :)

Andrew

In my opinion, about the only units around that would look good in the green and gold would be geeps or unmodified SWs - the angular and boxy body-styles of most newer models are ill-suited to the swooping curves of the old CNR scheme, or almost any other older paint schemes, which generally relied as much on the shape of the loco as on the colours for their impact.
On the other hand, the "sergeant stripe" scheme would suit almost any current-day freight unit, although it would be difficult to apply. Most of the so-called "heritage" schemes remind me of poorly-done Hot Wheels cars. ;)

Wayne

Isn't the point of most heritage schemes, from RR management's perspective, to be able to get a few pennies per loco and car from Athearn, Atlas, et al?

Jason

cn nutbar

hello everyone---Grumbeast,welcome back and thanks for taking an interest in this thread---some interesting comments on Heritage schemes---I don't know if the old colours would look good on the modern diesels,but I can show you how they looked on the first generation diesels when they arrived on the Canadian National

gp-9's

CN4590.jpg

january262007011.jpg

26032007010.jpg

CN4113-a.jpg

here's some switchers

CN7300and1389.jpg

dieselsatthetower007.jpg

5303w1001.jpg

Personally,I really like the older paint scheme---Thanks again for all your feedback
BTW,Jacques I did not work for the CN---i guess I was a lot more daring when I was younger as I never thought I could get into trouble taking pictures on CN property---things certainly have changed though,I'm sure the railroad cops would never allow this to happen nowadays---enjoy,Nutbar

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Isn't the point of most heritage schemes, from RR management's perspective, to be able to get a few pennies per loco and car from Athearn, Atlas, et al?

Jason

At the risk of turning this into a debate, the heritage schemes seem mostly to be either a public relations move, or a move to protect copyrighted images, or both. The revenue from licensing is minimal when compared with the rest of the various companies' income from their regular business (i.e. railroading). The rationale behind the licensing is (as above) to protect copyright/intellectual property.

Nonetheless, I think that the pre-noodle CN scheme would look good - either the black with gold bar (as seen on the switchers) or the green and gold. CNR also has a myriad of lines to draw on, including Canadian Northern, Intercolonial, Canadian Gov't Rys, Grand Trunk, and others. CPR also has a wide range of lines it absorbed.

Andrew

Biased turkey

Ah the good old ( N scale ) scheme paints . Better than a CPR Pac Man.
I still like the CN zerbra stripes ( that's one of the reason why I model CNR ).
Great Sweeps picts, ( a kitbasher dream ) . Do you hear Hobbycraft Canada !
CPCN.jpg

Jacques

Pooh Bah
Wayne, do you have anything in the original scheme -- I think it was black with an orange oval? There was a unit painted this way when the Harbourfront museum stated, but it was destroyed after they were evicted.