BRTC25 MANTIS

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It may not be UHU Level, but it exists, and has much potential, very much, for greeblin'. Using parts from UHU's X-Wing, which one could assume were common, a great kitbash and unique model could be made. Like I wrote, download and check it out. Somethng is better than nothing, and for some reason, I don't see UHU returning to Star Wars any time soon, just a gut feeling. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
@zathros : The BTL version is the Clone Wars version with its full armour on. It is the only paper model of this variant and it looks very good. It is the way to go when you want to make this model. You may add some greeblies here and there (like it is the case with all models) but in essence this one is good as it is.

The traditional Y-Wing however (the design with the internals wirings exposed) has been tackled by numerous designers but none of them comes any close to the plastic models available, like the ones from Bandai and Revell. No offense but their efforts are too simplistic and do not withstand the test of time. Now that excellent source material is available (mainly on modelermagic.com ) it should be possible to make one definitive Y-Wing paper model in maybe @uhu02 or @imcold quality. ;) (nudge, nudge - hint, hint). ;) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Where on Modelermagic.com do they have reference material? I couldn't find diddly there except pictures of finished models. Could you post a link? :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I slowly work on accurate Y-wing, but it will not be anytime soon. I have gathered lots of reference photos of the originals. Here is realy accurate base model (author DaveG from RPF forum) I use for my design work.

y-wing.jpg
Imcold himself started working on Y-wing some time ago and he kindly provide me his work. It will be my second imporatnt source material.

Two thinghs that will make it chalenging are that dome shaped engine parts - prominent visual element, and sheer number of greebles on the body.

8.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
@bigpetr, beautiful!!! That however is not a model anyone are going to be able to download and build. It's also made from styrene, PVC, or some other kind of plastics.

The ability to scratch build lies with the builder. The impression I got was a question about "UHU" designing a detailed Y-Wing model. That is not what Bigpetr is doing, he is making a model miniature. His expertise would allow him to build whatever he set his eyes on.

There is a need to differentiate between a downloadable model, and the billions (it seems) of scratch built models that people have made.

@Revele-Fan, modelermagic.com had a lot of reference material that would be great for greeblin' but nothing for building a proportional accurate model. No orthogonic views, ( or, No 3 way views), nothing, no CAD files. Beautiful models that people showcased.

As Bigpetr states, you need a base model. Really good large 3 way views work, but that gets hard fast, unless you want to Pepakura you way through and just do graphics of all the details.

I have found (since I started reading this thread 15 minutes ago) an .skp model that looks pretty good, though it does not have a cockpit. SketchUp Warehouse has a few there. If someone wants this file, tell me what format you want it in. I can't convert to Pepakura though. It takes a lot to build paper models from files like this. Many errors must be corrected, and you end up with a different CAD model, but one you can unroll. :)

Example:
Y-Wing.jpg

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Maybe we should re-name this thread to "who's going to design a good Y-Wing?" ;)

I have a model I can lift from X-Wing Alliance, don't know how well detailed or it's greebled though ....

It does have a cockpit though! :yesyes:

Edit: never mind, it's extremely "blocky" :(

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Incredible models they have made. Great greebling references. I bet they either exchanged, or paid a fortune for blueprints, though some pull can pull rabbits right out of their @$$!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is an Lockheed Electra 10E (Amelia Earhart's plane) fuselage I've started working on. Preparing the ridiculously flaws of the .skp model and converting it into curves, eliminating the on average of 8 of the same curves piled up on each other, to prepare to turn it into a NURBS model i can unroll and have usable Control Points, just this half a fuselage, has taken 4 hours!! That includes the out right errors. I have not begun the conversion of the lines into NURBS but when I am done, there will be nothing left of the original model. It's not just a matter of copying what's there. I removed over a minim of 5000 extra lines. Lines are not Curves in CAD, only curves exist, not lines. Curves can be straight, parabolic, or radii. This is why you don't see people banging these models out, because to make a model that isn't a box with graphics takes a lot of work. I just recently discovered there isn't one paper model available of Amelia's plane. That's kind of sad. I don't know how far I'll get in this. We'll see. For now, I'm just practicing. When converted into a NURBS model, all the Curves will be Radii, and it will unfold very smoothly. This is the "Hard Chine" version. :)

R1.jpg

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
@bigpetr, beautiful!!! That however is not a model anyone are going to be able to download and build. It's also made from styrene, PVC, or some other kind of plastics.

Sorry, I think I do not express myself clear. I am using this model to make regular paper model. I am slowly working on it and hopefully one day I will deliver:).

I have checked sketchup warehause Y-wing models (and meny other models) and some are not bad. As far as I know, most accurate proportionwise is a model from DaveG. But it is only base model without greebles. Model that zathros found has greebles but not accurate greebles.

Sorry for derail, lets go back to the subject :).

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Sorry, I think I do not express myself clear. I am using this model to make regular paper model. I am slowly working on it and hopefully one day I will deliver:).

I have checked sketchup warehause Y-wing models (and meny other models) and some are not bad. As far as I know, most accurate proportionwise is a model from DaveG. But it is only base model without greebles. Model that zathros found has greebles but not accurate greebles.

Sorry for derail, lets go back to the subject :).

I agree. I didn't know you were making a paper model, but like you stated, a long time coming, and you can't download Brass and plastic for those domes. Depending on how resourceful you are, these parts can be hard to find, but not so hard to fabricate, using two part epoxy and some blister pack clear plastic. You just have to be good at shaping, filing, doing what you need to do to get that heated blister pack to pull down over that plug. It's not impossible, but very hard.

The .skp model I showed as not the best one there, there are many. Personally, with so many subjects to me modeled, I don't know why this one is so desired. It doesn't even make sense to me structuraly. Those engines mounts could never take care of the force they put on the main section. I know it's fantasy, but there's good fantasy, and "Ho-Hum" fantasy.

@bigpetr, is that model mostly paper?

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It will be regular downloadable paper model, I hope :). Currently it is just rhino model.

Dam!! That's one nice model. The textures is really nice. I wish I knew what settings yo use. :)

Actually, I was kind of hoping to encourage someone to make the Mantis. That is why I started this thread.

The Mantis has curves that would make it impossible to do in paper. It would be an extremely compromised models, there are not enough views to get hold of it. That's a model for Resin modeling. IMHO