BRTC25 MANTIS

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I guess it depends how many lines your prepared to take on the body. Without more pictures, it will always be an approximation, and that will probably do because no one else knows the proportions either!! :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
@bigpetr, beautiful!!! That however is not a model anyone are going to be able to download and build. It's also made from styrene, PVC, or some other kind of plastics.

The ability to scratch build lies with the builder. The impression I got was a question about "UHU" designing a detailed Y-Wing model. That is not what Bigpetr is doing, he is making a model miniature. His expertise would allow him to build whatever he set his eyes on.

There is a need to differentiate between a downloadable model, and the billions (it seems) of scratch built models that people have made.

@Revele-Fan, modelermagic.com had a lot of reference material that would be great for greeblin' but nothing for building a proportional accurate model. No orthogonic views, ( or, No 3 way views), nothing, no CAD files. Beautiful models that people showcased.

As Bigpetr states, you need a base model. Really good large 3 way views work, but that gets hard fast, unless you want to Pepakura you way through and just do graphics of all the details.

I have found (since I started reading this thread 15 minutes ago) an .skp model that looks pretty good, though it does not have a cockpit. SketchUp Warehouse has a few there. If someone wants this file, tell me what format you want it in. I can't convert to Pepakura though. It takes a lot to build paper models from files like this. Many errors must be corrected, and you end up with a different CAD model, but one you can unroll. :)

Example:
View attachment 163386
Thanks but no thanks...that has to be the worst .skp model I have seen in awhile.. at least for the forward section/cabin .. how can you get messed up meshes from flat panels? I have my old one...that I uploaded a pic of at some point.. and since I am not a fan-boy I don't get into it enough to know if a greeble here is not supposed to be there but 2 cm to the left.. but it looks the same to me..as far as the pipes and all that! either wire/ tubing or balsa and if someone wants to build it they will figure a way to do so! For instance, on the plans for the Centauri Vorchan and all the trouble with the nose section we were having..I scraped the wasted time of trying to make it in card..and copped the thing off and gave two options..one a stacked and carved layer of 2 mm stock, or carved out of balsa wood, either way is doable and easy to so in the plans, and still allows me to design the sides to glue up to it!

Dam!! That's one nice model. The textures is really nice. I wish I knew what settings yo use. :)

The Mantis has curves that would make it impossible to do in paper. It would be an extremely compromised models, there are not enough views to get hold of it. That's a model for Resin modeling. IMHO
actually I was looking and playing with this..and if you break it down to sections it is just simple geometric forms .. not really that hard..but really need some more views hard to get the curve over the top of the ship using an isometric view..though it can be done.

path4506.png

just playing...

Mantis-Lines.jpg
I think I would much rather develop something with one of the others.. Belly Bomber, Scorpion even the Shark.. even though again all those curves!

This was also on ( I think Modeler's Miniatures, gives a better idea of how simple the shape really is.

News-1.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It can be done, but at what cost? You can basically make any shape if you willing to use filler putty and sand to finish form. I find that most people are looking for something they can print out. I know I could make that model, but as you say, breaking it down to it's geometric shapes will leave you with a body that you either live with, or fill and finish by painting. You won't print this out, and as a seamless paper model. In a way, that's why I push more for fabrication with certain models, such as this, that will be one of really nice models. Look at the top of that model in the above picture, you will be trying to get a flattened coke bottle shape with a sheet of paper. I think a one off. Maybe water forming, not sure, but if you went to the trouble to make a mold, well, it's such an obscure model, but whatever floats your boat.

Looking at your Rhino model, the transition from the midsection end far too abruptly. There is just not enough data on this.

The only way to work with those .skp files is to use the "Curves" and with "Osnap" on "End" selected, push a line on the relative "Ends" (you will have to "Extract" a "Wireframe" from it first, and delete all the billions of superfluous lines, as they really get in the way). The comes playing with the "Control Points", lots of work, lots. Theoretically, again, the shape could be made, with many strips, but get out the Bondo! IMHO :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Is the .skp model available? I'd like to see it. For "grins and giggles". It's amazing some of these produce images. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
It can be done, but at what cost? You can basically make any shape if you willing to use filler putty and sand to finish form. I find that most people are looking for something they can print out. I know I could make that model, but as you say, breaking it down to it's geometric shapes will leave you with a body that you either live with, or fill and finish by painting. You won't print this out, and as a seamless paper model. In a way, that's why I push more for fabrication with certain models, such as this, that will be one of really nice models. Look at the top of that model in the above picture, you will be trying to get a flattened coke bottle shape with a sheet of paper. I think a one off. Maybe water forming, not sure, but if you went to the trouble to make a mold, well, it's such an obscure model, but whatever floats your boat.

Looking at your Rhino model, the transition from the midsection end far too abruptly. There is just not enough data on this.

The only way to work with those .skp files is to use the "Curves" and with "Osnap" on "End" selected, push a line on the relative "Ends" (you will have to "Extract" a "Wireframe" from it first, and delete all the billions of superfluous lines, as they really get in the way). The comes playing with the "Control Points", lots of work, lots. Theoretically, again, the shape could be made, with many strips, but get out the Bondo! IMHO :)

Not sure what you mean, as it is only a illustration of the fact that the side section is one long flat strip, get the curves in the right places and it would flatten like a pancake, the curve section above is a basic curve on top and bottom sides straight, it basically boils down to , if you can get the frame the proper shape the rest will just stick to it.

No .skp files were used. Just two curves. ( not including the engines I threw in for scale...)

Mantis-Lines-Only.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I haven't even begun working at it but your model looks great so far, Gandolf! Claphands

Using the Viper engines for scaling is the way to go. I was about to do it the same way.

John, I have got used to use screenshots only for certain models. There is a lot of "feel right guesstimation" involved. The Landram showed me that a lense can be deceiving. The Belly Bomber I've started is another example how a look can be distorted. Sometimes you have to bite the bullett to just make it look right. ;)

One of the biggest advantage is how simple these models were constructed, especially this one. Being a background "character" it did not have to feature many details which resulted in the given result.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This won't be a download and build model. You can make a frame for applying fiberglass, Bondo, whatever filler you choose, but to get that smooth appearance will require filler. Too many compound radii to make it work in paper without much sacrifice tp appearance. It won't look like the few pictures, unless it is finally sanded into shape. Anyone can build anything. If someone did it, then why couldn't you. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Exactly. Ken Larson said the same. He quoted one of his colleagues who used to say, "You can build anything from bondo". :)

Reactions: zathros

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Only thing is that Bondo more than 1/16th max. thick has no strength.. Fiberglass, with just a skim coat as bondo for leveling is about all Bondo is worth, it has no enduring structural quality. I would rather lead fill seams on a car than Bondo them. One layer of Fiberglass cloth would be enough.