BRTC25 MANTIS

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
While doing some research on something else, I came across the "Mantis". It was featured in the second season of BRTC25 and only seen a few times in the hangar bay of the Searcher. I had thought that someone had (or was thinking about) making a model of it. Then again I could be thinking of the BSG COM drome.
Buck Roger Mantis.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh! Thanks!! That looks a bit to well designed for Buck Rogers.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Actually, there were many things that were just "one-off" designs that were intended for something, but once it was built, the cost was so great that they could not make more of it. It was (more than likey) something that was designed for BSG and never used.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The engines look like they were re-used from the Thunderfighter or the Colonial Viper. The Hartland guys loved to re-cast and re-use pieces of older models and mix and match them together. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Whatever it was, it has nice lines. Looks like it could be anything from a deep space probe, to a small rescue pod, or a large scale cargo drone, or ship. With no scale reference it could be imagined to be anything. :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I would have to guess it to be a probe or drone.
Here is a better pic of it for those who wish to tackle it.
Mantis.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see something:

Definitive use of a Colonial Viper model and armature inside. Mounting points match (back and bottom). Engine configuration is the same. The wrapped band around the engines is different though. Could be no band at all but three clean Viper engine tubes with additional stripes of plastic glued to them. At the top back I recognize something that looks like Saturn V thruster halves.

Studio scale should be doable since we know the dimensions. Could do it in 1/32, too, to match the Revellogram / Moebius Vipers. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I see something:

Definitive use of a Colonial Viper model and armature inside. Mounting points match (back and bottom). Engine configuration is the same. The wrapped band around the engines is different though. Could be no band at all but three clean Viper engine tubes with additional stripes of plastic glued to them. At the top back I recognize something that looks like Saturn V thruster halves.

Studio scale should be doable since we know the dimensions. Could do it in 1/32, too, to match the Revellogram / Moebius Vipers. ;)
I would like to see that happen! I know someone that could help you with the beta testing. ;)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Damn... I already spent half a day, running through all the Buck Rogers stuff out there and all the various bits and greebles I already have ...ackkk this is how I end up with so many different things going on...!!!
Time for some pay back... http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/286589/top_75_spaceships_in_movies_and_tv.html I dare you not to think of doing one of these that hasn't been done!! + there is some cool commentary here also!;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Gandolf50 : Cool! :)

If I would pick one of them: I would love to see an accurate Y-Wing paper model being made to accompany Imcold's fantastic X-Wing.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have to say that there are many models I would pick before anything from Star Wars or Star Trek. I think Spock's Shuttle doesn't measure up to be in that list. Most of those models would have to be made than something other than paper because of the many compound curves. Uncle Martin's ship was probably one of the most influential for me when I was young, unfortunately one that would be impossible with paper, without a lot of sanding, then you mine as well use Balsa Wood. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
One of my favorites that I did not see, is the SA-43 Hammerhead Fighter for "Space: Above and Beyond". Granted there are a couple of simple models out there, but I would like to see a GOOD DETAILED model if this formital fighter.

I like how the BRTC25 Thunder Fighter ranks 6th, the X-Wing ranks 11th, and the Colonial Viper ranks 25th.