Battlestar Galactica Raptor

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by silveroxide, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Try finding some 'pre-molded' plastic from existing packaging that would match.
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I am back!!!!!!!!

Well my contract is over and I am back to my favorite pastime, Paper Modeling. This Raptor is almost over, but that canopy is a perplexing problem. I may have to finish it with a straight Canopy without the bulge, at least until I can figure out that convex bulge. So on with the build

The last pic is where the Raptor is at this time. Will fill in the build to that time frame. I am still editing the build pics.

Attached Files:

3. davitch

davitch Member

Nicely done. you going to add weapon pods or is this one complete and you are building the "attack" version later?
  4. silveroxide

Attack Version

This is the standard version. The Attack version has a different interior, rear engines and engine supports. If I were to build the attack version, it would have the rocket launchers and pod launcher only. Those wing mini guns are too intricate and the attach points are too fragile and small.
  5. Commander Adama

Commander Adama Member

Looking good Silver, the engines, landing gear, and interior look amazing. Hope you figure out that canopy thing. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  6. silveroxide

Raptor Velocitus

Continuing with the build. The tail booms and rudder did not have tabs for gluing to the body. I made a base so that it would give a sturdier attachment point. Next post will be the engine build-up:rolleyes::cool::rolleyes::cool:

Attached Files:

• 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      106.4 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      112.7 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      129.7 KB
      Views:
  7. silveroxide

new web page????????

I guess some things change. It took a little time to locate everyone on the Sci-Fi section. The home page lacks the direction to locate these threads. I hope that this will change. In the meantime I will post my last pics and hold off to see how this new system works. It is kind of confusing right now.

Here is my engine build and the last pics without that frakking bubble canopy.

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      95.8 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      94.8 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      127.8 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      82.9 KB
      Views:
  8. silveroxide

last pics for now.....

My last two sections. Let's see how this new web-page works. In the meantime I believe that I will bookmark the sci-fi section so that I can find it at will, without having to hunt for it,

Attached Files:

9. silveroxide

Interior

I wished that I had found these pics earlier. My interior would have been a little different.

Attached Files:

10. Commander Adama

Commander Adama Member

Interior

Thanks to your pics, we have a better idea on what to do. I hope mine will turn half as good as yours. Time to invest in some better cutting tools:cool:.
  11. cmags

cmags Guest

A suggestion on the canopy - there looks to be 6 total sections, 5 of which are flat or close enough to use simple acetate sheet and build a paper frame. The bubble on the main portion is obviously hardest. It looks to me like an oval bubble, very close to being egg-shaped. Maybe you could pull the plastic off a silly-putty package or something similar. You could use a little heat to "mold" the edges to fit the frame properly. There would probably be enough plastic around the edges of the egg shape for use in the other sections.

Just my $0.02 - this build looks excellent it would be a shame not to complete it.

:thumb:
  12. silveroxide

Never say never as Sean Connery said for the 007 series. I will finish it but I am going to take a short recess and let the cogs in my cybernetic brain think of alternatives....
  13. silveroxide

The end is near

I played around with that fracking canopy and I compromised with a smaller bubble. Here are some finished pics. but this thread is not over yet. Some more goodies to come. enjoy the pics.

For the canopy, I used discarded plastic from one of my grandkids toys and bended corners to give me a flat edge for gluing. I do not like to use super glue, but in this case I had no options. I cut strips for the frames and then I cut the bottom portion of the frame from the plans.

Attached Files:

• 036.jpg
      036.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
    • 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
    • 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Excellent builds. I love the additional detailing. Excellent work.
  15. Commander Adama

Commander Adama Member

Looks awesome Silver. I love the detail on the engines and the conopy turn out very well. Frakking cool model dude:thumb:.
  16. cmags

cmags Guest

Nice work on the canopy. Exactly what I was envisioning. :thumb:
  17. silveroxide

The only drawback on the canopy, is that the framework is thinner. If I had been able to do a vacuum form, I would have been able to have done a thinner framework. My continuation is to furnish the bay with some accessories.
  18. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

Hello, I know this is not the most recent topic, but I've away from modelling in any shape due to health issues. And while being able to do not much more than watch tele I had a long BSG marathon... all 4 seasons in a row :D
    Now, I was wondering if this cardmodel is available for download by any chance ?
  19. silveroxide

You will find the Colonial Raptor here. http://jaybats.webs.com

Click on Dealers choice and either download the packet or the raptor individually. The Raptor you see here is heavily modified from Jay Bats. The interior is scratched built and the cockpit gauges are here on the first posting of this thread. The engines are re-done from the original. The template or design is also on this thread.
  20. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

Thanks man :)