Battlestar Galactica - Light Bomber "Aurora" - Viper concept by Andrew Probert

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I happen to like 1/48th for fighter sized craft, it's a good compromise between detail and display size. When funds allow for a replacement printer I might have to do a Mk I in 1/48th just to see if I can...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I happen to like 1/48th for fighter sized craft, it's a good compromise between detail and display size. When funds allow for a replacement printer I might have to do a Mk I in 1/48th just to see if I can...
The Mk. I will come in 1:32 and as a *.pdf, so down-sizing shouldn't be too difficult. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now come the jet intakes:

DSCF5671.jpg

DSCF5672.jpg

DSCF5674.jpg

DSCF5677.jpg

The texture was not convincing which made me to rework it.

Attachments

• DSCF5680.jpg
    DSCF5680.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF5678.jpg
    DSCF5678.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF5679.jpg
    DSCF5679.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hah - you'll never guess what I am doing right now! ;) After a quick and dirty chat with Chris I've been altering the texture and adding - a near vertical grill to all intake recesses! I believe that this will look much better. The whole dilemma was caused by the fact that the intakes are that huge and you can't see what's inside in the drawing (it's all black in there). I wanted to fill it with something. Well, I'll keep you (all) posted! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, this is what I came up with:

DSCF5692.JPG

The ribs are laminated to cardboard and the edges are coloured with water colours. I have put the inserts loosely into the intakes to see how they look on the plane:

DSCF5693.JPG

DSCF5695.JPG
Nevertheless I will add the "nipples" to the final plans just in case someone wishes to use them. ;)

mcusanelli

RF, this is a fantastic looking model, the colors, the textures, so clean and crisp, absolutely beautiful as usual! Looking forward to building it very much.
Mike

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I like this style of intake better!!!
I say you should keep it!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ASC McLaren also likes them, so I guess I'll keep them! :D

Next I'll tackle the fake target launchers. I wanted them to open and close like a door but I fear that won't be possible because of the angle of the hatch. Then I'll have to design the bomb and the landing gear (and maybe a stand). Stay tuned! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I know these. They look awesome and would make some terrific models. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man vs. Jet Intakes - part 3 (!)

o_O :android: :banghead:

This was my reaction when I looked at the intakes again. I realized that I had done some SEVERE Felgercarb! :bucktooth:

I was about to turn to the bottom intakes when I noticed two parts I hadn't used on the intakes. They were supposed to be turned into two tubes. I had completely forgotten to use them which led to the strange "nipple" effect. BIG FACEPALM! To make a long story short and to make you understand what I really intended to achieve I'm showing you some pics.

These are the parts for the two top intakes. You see the two grey rectangles for each intake which hadn't been used before. And you see that I have cut two holes out of the front plates of the intakes.

DSCF5701.jpg

The rectangles are rolled into a tube, the "nipples" are assembled as seen before.

DSCF5704.jpg

Now it comes: The "nipples" are inserted into the tubes to make them look like what they are supposed to be - some fans (and no "nipples")!

DSCF5705.jpg

The tubes are glued to the back of the front plates, behind the holes.

DSCF5707.jpg

Now come the grills.

DSCF5709.jpg

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I REALLY LIKE how these new intakes look. They fit VERY well with the rest of the design of the ship as a whole.
I AM GREATLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HOW THIS TURNS OUT!!!