What Is It?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
As I start this new project I thought I would ask you what you think this is going to be?
Just for fun, but I will name this after the first person to identify what this is going to be.

Attachments

• ct.jpg
    ct.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 862

Matthyro

Tyson Rayles steel-truss wood coaling tower

Thanks for the responses folks. Tyson and Pete are right that it is a coaling tower to be but as Tyson was first I will name it in what ever way you choose Tyson.
This structure is based on the Fairbanks-Morse steel-truss wood coaling tower. There was an article on this with photos and drawings in the February 1998 MR.

Attachments

• ct3.jpg
    ct3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 735

Tyson Rayles

WHAT !!!!!! NO CASH WINNINGS ??????????????? :D :rolleyes: :D Robin I didn't know they named coaling towers, of course I really don't know very much about the steam or coal industry so I'll leave the naming to you my friend. ;)

Matthyro

OK Tyson, you are right that most coaling towers didn't have names but we model railroaders can do whatever we want so will come up with something. I realize that there aren't many steam buffs around but I do have steam locos so will probably use them for rail fanners to travel around my layout.
Just thought I would show you here how I make wood beams.
Just cut strips of corrugated cardboard. These are 1/8th inch . Next I cut strips of cerealboard and glue them on both open sides.

Attachments

• ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 706

Matthyro

Here I am adding wood beams to the coaling tower. Lots more to go but this is where I am at today Sunday the 27th. Did quite a bit while watching NASCAR Winston cup race

Attachments

• ct4.jpg
    ct4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 749

Pooh Bah
Robin, you could always outsource the coaling facility to some outfit that Tyson runs. (Not a common steam era practice, but we're ahead of our time.)

Matthyro

As this coaling facility will serve both cities my railroad serves. (will have to show how on a trackplan) Catt has come up with a perfect suggestion
so this coaling tower will be known as GOAD JUNCTION.

Matthyro

It's Monday 28th and I spent most of the day in the garden but did finish the upright supports

Attachments

• ct5.jpg
    ct5.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 352

Matthyro

Todays progress 29th. I glued in the cross braces and started the coal hoist. In the foreground you can just see the steel girders that go in next.
In addition to this I finished running the bus around my double track mainline and added feeders about every 4ft.

Attachments

• ct6.jpg
    ct6.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 349

Matthyro

With what's going on elsewhere Steve, who knows what the name will end up to be.
Progress to the 30th.
Steel trusses ready to install. These are designed to support the weight of the coal. The gussets are paper. Next step before installing, is to paint them rusty black.

Attachments

• ct7.jpg
    ct7.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 315

Matthyro

Some of the steel trusses in place. I have stained part of the coal tower with a dark walnut stain to make it look like the original tower had been coated with creasote.

Attachments

• ct8.jpg
    ct8.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 319