What is happening?

rcwatkins

Pitchwife said:
What can I add? I may "stray" occasionally, but The Gauge is my home and I know I will always be welcome here.
That's about me, too. I may go to Atlas occasionally but only for SNFF for N Scale. Other than that, this is the forum I go to. ;)

spitfire

The Gauge is my home too. For me, being a member of a BB means a certain committment of time and energy, and while I often visit other BBs, I just don't have time to be an active participant on more than one. This is the one. This is where I've made many friends, shared many laughs, learned from the best, encouraged the rest, and found a spirit of friendly cameraderie that is unique and special.
We may be going through some growing pains here, but I know that if we all remember what makes us so special, we'll get through with flying colours!!!

Val

Will_annand

I visit three now, but still visit The Gauge first.
Of course if Andrew, Robin and Val all leave, I will have to find which forum they went too.
Those three have given me more advice and incentive and I appreciate it very much.
It is the friendship that counts.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks Will! :)

I too enjoy this group very much. Val put it very nicely in her message above. I also appreciate the "Canadian content" which seems stronger here than almost anywhere else.

I will admit to looking and posting at other forums ;) but this is the best...!

Andrew

shaygetz

MasonJar said:
I also appreciate the "Canadian content" which seems stronger here than almost anywhere else. Andrew

You know, I do seem to have this overpowering urge to call my M&Ms "Smarties". It's all OK with me, except maybe my growing desire to paint my Cab-forward in the old CP "Pacman" scheme.:D ;)

TrainClown

What the clown thinks

Life goes on. People come and go, and that's part of life. But that doesn't diminish the fun we had. Or the things we learned. The thing we need to do is be grateful we got to know these people and relish the memories of when they were a part of this group, and the things that were shared. It's sort of like the end of high school and saying good buy to your school chums.

Sad but true :( :cry:

But here we are. Picking up the pieces together and moving into a new stage of our life together. This should remind us how special we are to each other as a group of like minded people. Be happy for today and what you can share. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. :confused:

I like it here at The Gauge. I feel comfortable here. It makes me want to share my ideas. And I have learnt an awful lot. :thumb:

If some of the kids want to play in another sand box, then go ahead. I may look over and see what they are building over there, but this is my sand box where I build my castles. Me and my friends think it's just fine. :)

Your big fat clown friend,

TrainClown :wave:

I had hesitated, but finally decided to chime in here.

There’s no denying it, the Gauge has definitely changed. I don’t mean the new look. I’m sure everyone finds it even better than before. I guess the biggest change is the number of people. Back when there were only a few hundred of us the atmosphere was quite different. We sort of got to know one another. It was, you could say, a “small town” or “small family” then. Now it’s getting more crowded and perhaps a little less personal.

I cannot know the real reasons that Shamus and Charlie left. But I have to wonder if those reasons have also contributed to our loss of a few other valued Gauge members over the past several months. For instance, we’ve not heard from t.alexander for six months or so. Great modelers all --- I miss hearing from them and seeing their model photos.

I regularly monitored the Atlas forum, and found some occasional things there of interest to me, but seldom had any great urge to contribute. It’s not at all to say that one forum or one group of people is/was better than another. But they were certainly different, and they tended to collect a different sort of model railroader.

I mean no criticism of the people who inhabited the Atlas forum when I say that I hope that the difference remains. But I am well aware that change happens, and no one I know has figured out how to stop it.

BillS

cobra

Must admit , I like train clowns attitude on this one . You have a great core group here ....work with it . The regulars will continue to be the regulars , the sun will rise in the morning etc.One person , great as he was and is , doesn't dictate the whole group . Give the new leader your support and carry on .
Neil

fifer

I feel clueless in this one , Like , I have no idea what went down here , but I'm here!!!

Mike

brakie

Friends,Many of you know I am on several forums 5 to be exact..My "home" forum is the RailRoad Forums.(RRF)..However,I enjoy 4 of the 5 because of the Harmony and friendship..The 5th one I am not sure I will be going back to because of the discord. :(
Now,no one or two persons make a forum..WE as members make the forum..It can rise or it can fail its all up to us the members...It can also crumble into nothing.
Members will come and members will go..While we hate to see old friends leave and will miss their comments that can never be changed as its a fact of life folks will leave for many reasons both good and bad..
I have no idea why Paul and Charlie left and to a degree its not my affair after all it was their choice..But..Know this..I wish them the best of luck and still consider them as forum friends..
Now as far as disagreements well let's face the facts that will and does happen.We all have our own approach to the hobby and this of course will reflect the answers we give to the questions being ask and not everybody will agree with that reply..
As far as repeat questions well how is a person going to learn if they don't ask? Remember this as well..A new answer may appear because the person that makes the new reply did not see or reply the first time around when the question was ask..Also new ideas or opinions from others may show up from some new knowledge gain.

As far as pictures..Well,I always enjoy looking at other's models as I can see some excellent ideas that I can"steal" for use on my own layout.I can snicker if my models look better or cry if my models don't look as good. :eek: :D :D :D LOL!

Now there are many knowledgeable modelers on the Gauge..Its a great forum and a great place to be... :thumb: :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I agree. We will always miss those who have dropped out for whatever reason, but while Paul and Charlie were true inspirations, there are dozens, if not hundreds of current members with amazing talent that we can learn from.
Besides, I seem to remember that Paul was going to drop out shortly after I joined The Gauge. That's been a few years ago. I'm not going to be surprised to see either one drop in from time to time. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy everyone's posts and photos and hopefully be able to add a bit to the mix once in a while.

Jon Grant

brakie said:
However,I enjoy 4 of the 5 because of the Harmony and friendship..The 5th one I am not sure I will be going back to because of the discord. :(
I wonder which forum you are talking about? Hmmm....

Brakie, like you I am active on 4 or 5 forums, to a greater or lesser degree, and enjoy the banter, although I get easily confused about which forum has a particular thread I'm trying to find.

Jon

shaygetz

Catt! said:
I HATE MOVING! So I ain't leaving,unless I get evicted. :D

I'm with you, Johnathan, having slow-roasted the better part of my braincells with medicinal herbs and spices in the 70s, I haven't found any other forums as easy on the grey matter as this one. Soooo...until the eviction notice (and I'm in the apartment industry so I know how long the process takes :rolleyes: ) I'm in....

fifer

having slow-roasted the better part of my braincells with medicinal herbs and spices in the 70s
They told me it would kill my brain cells, but I told them "only the weak ones man"

:eek: ;) Mike