What is happening?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow...

Been away for three days, and what the heck is up?

To both Charlie and Shamus - thanks guys for all your content and encouragement over the few years I have been here. You have made some great suggestions in general, and for me specifically.

For the rest of us, the Gauge will be a little emptier, but I'd like to think that we all understand, or at least respect, your decisions for whatever reasons you have.

You will be missed! :cry:

Andrew

Hi Will,
One of the things that has happened is Paul's opening of his own forum.
Some of our moderators and quite a few regular members went with him.
The forum is almost an exact duplicate of The Gauge as far as categories.

I'm sure anyone has every right to go off and do his own thing. I certainly
respect Paul and his modelling achievments, as he is one of the masters.
This move, however, is quite harmful to The Gauge as it has pulled away several
of the most active and interesting posters. Whether or not they stay Gauge
members, much of their contribution will be probably lost. I realize that
folks post on multiple forums all the time, but it seemed like The Gauge was
a real on-line home, a community we could depend on.

I have to admit, I am quite dismayed over this recent turn of events.
This forum will be what WE make it. We have had our ups and downs, but
hopefully our "Gauge friends" won't let us down. I am sticking here, and I
hope that The Gauge continues to enjoy the reputation for quality postings
and minimal bickering it has acquired over the years.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
My feelings are pretty much the same as Cids. Something happened to chase Paul away, and to his credit he's not talking about it. I can respect that. But it's a shame that the end result is a splintering of our "family". Yes, we can read both forums, in addition to whichever other ones you currently read, but I don't want to post the same posts on several forums, or even two. I see some do so and I think of it as a waste of time. I guess many are retired and enjoy spending the time required to monitor and be active in multiple forums. I'm not and time is hard to come by. It's too bad but I agree this will be bad for the Gauge. Wish I knew what was going on.

Gary

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
One of the things that has happened is Paul's opening of his own forum.
Some of our moderators and quite a few regular members went with him.
The forum is almost an exact duplicate of The Gauge as far as categories.

I can assure you, although Paul has chosen to begin his own forum, he has not taken anyone with him. It is not even close to an exact duplicate, although there are likenesses. For example, there are no proto sections, it's just for modelers.

Many mods and members are active on several boards. I myself am active on Paul's new board, and some others as well. It doesn't mean we are not here. I still carry out my duties as usual, and take a business first play later attitude towards it.

This move, however, is quite harmful to The Gauge as it has pulled away several of the most active and interesting posters.

How so? I'm not posting any less here than before, and I don't suspect others will either. If you see I appear inactive or less active, you will see the same decrease in activity elswhere.

I can't minimize the fact that loosing Paul is a great loss for the-gauge. I am saddened by it and wish it not to be. But nothing can be done, but move on as things are. However, Paul will be the first to tell you that the-gauge is/was what it is/was because of the people in it, not because of one man.

A forum develoups it's own personality over time. If something suddenly changes the personality, it makes many members feel bad, some leave, some complain, some work to make it better, some make it worst. Recent events at the-gauge have resulted in a shift in personality. It can never go back. But you can help prevent the personality from shifting suddenly and preserve/guide the formatiuon or reformation of the-gauge's personality. You do this by suppoirting the-gauge and it's staff.

This is done by reporting bad posts, and supporting (sometimes imperfect) decisions made by staff. Also by making suggestions in the proper place (PM and we have a forum for that purpose). General moaning and groaning about problems in the general forums without any constructive ideas and implying the "powers that be" are driving people away is not a form of support.

Being better and seperating ourselves from other forums has to begin with you. We can't moderate everthing, or it's just us talking, not the group. Nor would we want to. Keep it alive guys - it's your choice where this forum goes.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm in for the ride, I've already seen what's out there and don't care for it. As a forum, The Gauge is the easiest to post pictures and edit. As a group, I've never felt more welcome elsewhere. There is one forum out there I won't name that makes me feel like I've broken wind in the Communion line whenever I post.

My creativity is inspired by what I find on The Gauge but is not limited to it. Modelers here have motivated me to do projects that I knew I could do, I just didn't have the gumpsion to do it. But, if The Gauge were to pass on or be bought out by Horizon Hobbies (that should get the rumor mill rolling ;) ) my hobby will still be with me. It has survived High School, the Army, Bible College, a wife, two kids and a bancruptcy. It will be with me when there is no one cranking out high dollar kits and when I just don't feel like doing it for awhile.

Set back, take a breather, pull out a project...you will see that your modeling abilities haven't changed for the worse simply because two of our ranks have gone on to other things. Two others will rise up to take their place. The Gauge will go on in slightly different bent, members will come and go and I'll still have four 20+ year old @#$%&! wood kits that need to be built...life goes on.

Paul, Charlie...may God richly bless you and yours, wherever you may turn. My families prayers are with you on your health, Charlie.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I'd like to add a hearty second to Jon's post.

Sometimes folks just have to move on to bigger and better things or to areas in which they have more interest. To be honest, The Gauge has become somewhat "generic" to me in that after 40 + years in this hobby I have no interest in current day prototype, DCC operations, contests or "ohhhing and ahhhing" over someone's photos. Additionally it has gotten to the point where the same questions are asked over and over again with regard to basic modeling skills and the answers already exist here on this board if one would just take the time to research them. Additionally, the high level of humor that used to exist here seems to be declining. New interests sometimes need a new venue.

In support of my interests I have recently joined a couple of other MRR'ing boards, including Paul's, where I feel that my interests will be better served....But I'll still be lurking around to see if any "little plastic people" need to be "whipped back into shape" :D :thumb:

Belmarvalley

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Vic said:
To be honest, The Gauge has become somewhat "generic" to me in that after 40 + years in this hobby I have no interest in current day prototype, DCC operations, contests or "ohhhing and ahhhing" over someone's photos...

Wow, I didn’t realize these were such big issues. As someone who recently stopped lurking and is guilty of posting photos on my first post (to which there was some "ohhhing and ahhhing" over) I apologize for the apparent waste of bandwidth. :eek:ops:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Belmarvalley said:
Wow, I didn’t realize these were such big issues. As someone who recently stopped lurking and is guilty of posted photos on my first post (to which there was some "ohhhing and ahhhing" over) I apologize for the apparent waste of bandwidth. :eek:ops:

1. None of the above are "issues"
2. You are welcomed to all of the bandwidth you want
3. If you're feeling "guilty"....not my problem.
:D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Belmarvalley said:
Wow, I didn’t realize these were such big issues. As someone who recently stopped lurking and is guilty of posting photos on my first post (to which there was some "ohhhing and ahhhing" over) I apologize for the apparent waste of bandwidth. :eek:ops:

Not to worry, most of us still enjoy seeing the pics and hearing comments about our own acheivments. I believe Vic's intention was to speak of his own feelings, not those of others.

Nobody should stop participating at any level because of the actions (such as leaving) or comments of others. You should only stop participating if you don't feel it is good for you. Notice Vic is still reading posts and participating at some level.

(don't worry Vic, I'm not telling anyone about the accident when you head butted the duck-under at full speed, and the resulting dain bramage, and the resulting loss of interest in photo's :D :D :D That's confidential info. , and I would never bring it up in open forum)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I do hope we can all enjoy the hobby and each others "ups and Downs" that are posted here,.
I too have visited other places and read through different post, I have :rolleyes: even posted the odd thingy on one or tother :D .
I personally like it here ;) and have made a lot of friends all over the world that I would not have been privileged to do, had it not been for this encouraging forum.
I will miss Charlie and Paul , But will visit the "new" board with some electrical imput.(zzzzzzaaaaaaaappppp).
So all the best to you guys and a big thankyou for all your help on the gauge :thumb:
so onward and upward!!!!!!!! :thumb:

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Hi all, I think everything will settle down in time and become somewhat normal again. I too belong to other forums and a member of Pauls new one. But the Gauge is MY home, Your home, and we all must stick together and keep a firm bond to succeed. Everyone is great here and I am sure ready to help in anyway. There will still be NO flame wars here for we have great moderators to keep control of things. Lets not forget 'WE ARE ALL MODELERS' and that is the final end of it. If we are to dicuss national politics then we need to take it to another forum.
Where's the Tylonal?
Lets enjoy our hobbie, post pictures, post ideas, post comments and get on with the show! We are not refugees from anywhere but we are Gaugers and lets keep it that way!
That said, I need another shot of Windsor!!! :eek: :eek:ops: :cry: :thumb: :D :D :D :D

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Well guys as one who belongs to several forums I have felt left out on certian other forums and through persaverance and smart posts with humor included have been welcomed in all.

As for the issue of the same questions being asked I think that will happen pretty much in ant forum as I think this is what brings in new blood and interests into the hobby community. When first coming to the Gauge I was not very computer friendly(still only not that) and figured it was easier to ask then to start looking thru things I did not have a clue about. Maybe a section should be made with a list of these FAQ and made available when someone first comes to the forum start up page?????????? :thumb:

I for one would rather be told me the truth about a model then OOOh and AHH over something everyone else thinks is really not that good, give me ideas on how to improve it rather than giving me the pat on the back. I am one of those people that can see a picture and it will instantly be loved or not but if I have nothing good to say I say nothing at all (just like your mother thought when you were a kid). Hope this does not make things worse just my opinion. Pat

F

Fred_M

I'm still here. As to newbies asking questions I welcome it, I do. I don't always answer them as hey, that's what I did before and the guy I told can tell you and you can then tell someone else in the future. Also, there are a gazillion ways to weather a stick of basswood, I still learn a new one every week or two, sometimes from newbies who invented it because they didn't know the "right" way and tried something.... strange? How about putting it in a rock tumbler with sharp rocks and watered gray paint for 10 min? I would try that but rock tumblers are $25 at the hobby lobby. :D Fred

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
jon-monon said:
(don't worry Vic, I'm not telling anyone about the accident when you head butted the duck-under at full speed, and the resulting dain bramage, and the resulting loss of interest in photo's :D :D :D That's confidential info. , and I would never bring it up in open forum)

:D :D :D Since the accident I don't even need to turn the computer on to see pictures :D :D :D

Seriously, my comment was not intended to disparage but rather to encourage and to prevent this forum from becoming medicore. I sorry that some folks didn't see it that way and to any who were offended I certainly apologize.