Sudsy's Benchtop - BMP inspired Chimera replacement

Sudsy

Comissar Gaius and Magos Lugh seem to not be too picky about the rivets thus far, I should not push my luck in the future however.

Being in the US with Letter size (ANSI size A) and not ISO size A4, I printed about 91% of full size when my PDF reader scaled to print margins. Part of this was to see how it compared to the GW miniatures. Looks good to me, the BMPs I crawled over were a tight fit for this Yankee, and I am 'average' (on the skinny spectrum when I was Active Duty military no less). So, it seems a good fit for Imperial Guard.

Attachments

• 1538775721897716899431.jpg
    1538775721897716899431.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Nice and neat. Nothing like any of the too many work areas I have!! :)

Sudsy

Nice and neat. Nothing like any of the too many work areas I have!! :)

Only neat because I have to clean up before dinner! Well, okay, I had to clean it up when my youngest got up from his nap... An old cookie sheet makes for a good rapid get away for the project. Now it is in a much messier (and not baby accessible) work area...

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
For rivets or bolt heads, try and pick up a couple BOOK PUNCHES, the smallest sizes are in the 1mm range and can hammer out rivets far faster than cutting by hand. You can also try leather punches but you would have to sharpen yourself as they are far to dull to punch card stock, but a decent very small Swedish round file can take care of that!

here is an old thread link discussing them...
http://www.zealot.com/threads/compas-de-corte.179371/#post-1009222

Sudsy

For rivets or bolt heads, try and pick up a couple BOOK PUNCHES, the smallest sizes are in the 1mm range and can hammer out rivets far faster than cutting by hand. You can also try leather punches but you would have to sharpen yourself as they are far to dull to punch card stock, but a decent very small Swedish round file can take care of that!

here is an old thread link discussing them...
http://www.zealot.com/threads/compas-de-corte.179371/#post-1009222

This awesome! Thanks!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I saw a guy make a tip for an epoxy filled syringe, that was premixed, and he would push out the bolt heads to the desired thickness, then just cut them off. The epoxy didn't stick to the syringe, so hardening wasn't an issue. Lots of ways to make these details like this. I liked Gandolf's idea though, less messy! :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
This awesome! Thanks!

My pleasure! I got tons of advice just can't always remember it, after all these years!;)

I saw a guy make a tip for an epoxy filled syringe, that was premixed, and he would push out the bolt heads to the desired thickness, then just cut them off. The epoxy didn't stick to the syringe, so hardening wasn't an issue. Lots of ways to make these details like this. I liked Gandolf's idea though, less messy! :)

Yep... I made a disk with a 1mm hex shaped hole in it for a clay tool that would squeeze out long 1mm hex string in sculpy, but baking them was a pain, and they were hard to stick down... Book punch is the way to go, wish I had the ability to fabricate a 1mm-and smaller book punch using brass tubing! I have thought about it, but getting the shape and the open tube to extract the punched out hexes is just not gonna happen anytime soon!;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
A Hex punch would yield many Hex shapes that could be laminated together. :)

Sudsy

My pleasure! I got tons of advice just can't always remember it, after all these years!;)

Yep... I made a disk with a 1mm hex shaped hole in it for a clay tool that would squeeze out long 1mm hex string in sculpy, but baking them was a pain, and they were hard to stick down... Book punch is the way to go, wish I had the ability to fabricate a 1mm-and smaller book punch using brass tubing! I have thought about it, but getting the shape and the open tube to extract the punched out hexes is just not gonna happen anytime soon!;)

Perhaps 3D printing will yield the desired result. Currently such tolerances are the realm of aerospace industrial 3d printers, perhaps in a couple years we might be able to print the desired tool on the desktop printer at home. Machine cycle time is slow for doing lots of parts, but just fine for casting masters or tooling. Already there is copper PLA blends with 80% copper that can be kiln treated to remove the PLA plastic and leave a nice coppper part, brass is not out of the question now.

Book punch is cheaper than the 3D printer and kiln, and it works today. I have already put one on my Christmas list!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Sintered metal parts are made with ridiculous tolerances, then baked to form gears for fine instruments. Aerospace 3D printers are almost unbelievable. The NASA 3D printer made parts for the new Saturn V engine, which can be shut off and throttled, using massive 3D printers. Incredible, this new printed engine is actually much stronger as there are no welds. An older, but still informative article resides here: https://3dprint.com/95914/nasa-3d-print-f1-rocket-engine/

Sudsy

So, I was reading around Zealot and ran across this great thread:

http://www.zealot.com/threads/raging-rivets.171785/

I figured I'd give Iehcyfer's method of using a pin and wood glue a shot. Instead, I ended up using a toothpick as my applicator. Worked out pretty well. Though I cannot seem to upload a picture of the progress. Is there an upper limit of pictures and file sizes per thread? I might have to delete or severely scale down the previous images...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
So, I was reading around Zealot and ran across this great thread:

http://www.zealot.com/threads/raging-rivets.171785/

I figured I'd give Iehcyfer's method of using a pin and wood glue a shot. Instead, I ended up using a toothpick as my applicator. Worked out pretty well. Though I cannot seem to upload a picture of the progress. Is there an upper limit of pictures and file sizes per thread? I might have to delete or severely scale down the previous images...
CG Admin is working on the picture uploading issue now. It should be working within a few days.

Sudsy

CG Admin is working on the picture uploading issue now. It should be working within a few days.

Very much appreciated! I hope to have a few more to add to this thread when it gets fixed! Left side got the first set of rivets (or bolt heads), I hope to get the right side done and then continue assembly of the hull with the tracks.