Star Wars B-Wing(Blade-Wing)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering how easy it would be to curve the laminated parts. I usually laminate curved parts only after pre-shaping the bottom layer to avoid wrinkles or "flaking off" edges. Because the thicker the part the more difficult it is to be shaped. You may cover up the small dents in the grey area by printing that section again and wrapping it around the existing structure. ;)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Nice progress.
Like Revell-Fan said, it is optimal to preshape parts as close to desired shape as possible before gluing or laminating. Othervise it is hard to achieve smooth surface. I always assembe bacis shapes and then do the paneling/greebling.

ennder

For the most part, it worked. I did have a few "flaking off" edges but was able to glue them down.

there is a piece that covers the grey-blue part, so the dent wont be noticable. I can "pop it out"
but it comes back if I handle it very much.

ennder

this is the first time I have had the "flaking off" problem, but I have never tried to form a part with this many layers of cardstock before.
I normally only use 2 layers of card. The blade is 3, and in some places 5 layers of card. Next time I will know better :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That looks very GOOD!!!
Working with printer/copy paper does take a bit of getting use to!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Looking Great!

HINT> use the Copy Paper...and ROLL around a long Needle or thin wire...make them SEMI-SOLID! and add thinner strips for the bump-outs etc...Trying to match edges and roll into a tube ..I find is a pain in the A** and a waste of MY time...

of course, I'm OLD and it is just too hard for me to do it anymore...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's so good, you should call it an "A" grade Blade!! ;)

ennder

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Next update: as you can see I haven’t been able to get much done
I hunted for two days to find the pieces to make this framework and
finally discovered them with the numbers printed on the part not next
to them as I was looking for. The wings I layered cardstock three pieces
thick because my normal method of using 1mm cardboard would not fit.
So, all the parts of the framework of the wings are layered cardstock.
20200117_155705.jpg20200121_125119.jpg20200121_125140.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I studied the parts pages I suspected that the construction was pretty sturdy. The frame work looks excellent! :)

ennder

New update: I got the wing hinge done.

Note: the hinge needs to be made from copy paper, card is just too thick. The hinge pieces are on a page that the directions txt
file says must be printed on card. I had to print it on card for some parts and again on copy paper to get the parts for the hinge.

20200121_212607.jpg20200121_212723.jpg20200121_212733.jpg20200121_212754.jpg20200121_212804.jpg20200121_212828.jpg20200121_212847.jpg20200121_212859.jpg