Sputnik-1 - 1:20

Kolokolnikov

Last weekend in an art store I saw wooden balls, and I thought, can I assemble a Sputnik-1 model?
I decided to do it. I studied the drawings of very poor quality, a bunch of photographs, and drew mounts for the antennas.

The most difficult thing was to mark the ball for the installation of all the elements.

Assembled from materials: wooden ball 30 mm, copper capillary tubes, steel wire, aluminium type, and of course paper where can we go without it.

IMG_20210117_003613_1.jpg

IMG_20210117_003656.jpg

At the moment, I am preparing the model for chrome plating. While covered with primer and black paint, and I'm waiting for it to dry.

IMG_20210118_134345_1.jpg

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wasn't that what the Russians thought? :rolllaughing:

Your Sputnik really came out great. Really simple looking models can be the trickiest to pull off, and you did it. Those 4 wires that the Russians used to stabilize the space crafts flight actually ended up being used in their ejection seats, and Russia makes some of the best ejection seats in the world (they have too!).

K-36seat.gif

Kolokolnikov

Since I'm not happy with the previous build, I decided to rework the ball marking system. Made a new construction, in which the ball is fixed very rigidly, which prevents its rotation. This made it possible to make the markup as accurate as possible.

These are all paper parts needed to assemble the Sputnik-1 model.
IMG_20210120_091252.jpg

IMG_20210119_215430.jpg
IMG_20210119_215625.jpg

After marking, I drilled holes for the antennas, made fasteners from a capillary tube with a diameter of 1.3 mm, and reeled up paper to simulate the part.

IMG_20210119_221633.jpgIMG_20210119_225019.jpg

The new design of construction for marking, helped to position the antennas quite accurately.

IMG_20210119_230921.jpg

Then I glued all other details and rivets. So far, only the mounts are not ready, which will hide the hole and part of the tube.
IMG_20210120_005920_1.jpg

Kolokolnikov

I will not rush to paint the second version from a spray can, like the previous version, I will wait a couple of weeks when I finally get a compressor and an airbrush. Then I will try to achieve a better mirror surface.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
`look for a product called "Molotow Liquid Chrome" I don't know what the equivalent will be over there.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
There is another project called 'Liquid Mirror' that is supposed to be as close to a paint on mirror as you can get, but I haven't had the chance to use it myself. The Molotow makes a very believable chrome finish, but the surface being painted has to be perfect, because the chrome shows every blemish.

Kolokolnikov

There is another project called 'Liquid Mirror' that is supposed to be as close to a paint on mirror as you can get, but I haven't had the chance to use it myself. The Molotow makes a very believable chrome finish, but the surface being painted has to be perfect, because the chrome shows every blemish.

I have something like a liquid mirror effect in a spray can, bought in Leroy merlin. I painted the first version wit this paint. But this spray is good for painting glass surfaces from the inside. If you cover it from the outside, it looks more like a silver paint, but not like a mirror.

Attachments

• 1611207186637.jpg
    1611207186637.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0

Kolokolnikov

This time, after the primer, I did not paint the black layer, instead I covered it with glossy varnish, then with a mirror effect, and again with varnish.