Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Well, at least I softened up this and refined it. here it is thumbnail size, is that still piratable? [due to the micro-size?]

1615498436991.png
HERE IS THE LAST VERSION BUILD PIC1615498936630.png ALL I DID WAS SOFTEN UP THE IMAGE SO IT LOOKS SMOOTHER AND SLIGHTLY MODIFIED A FEW PIECES.

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

OK, So... I spray glued the print to black paper and it came out smooth and clean,
will cut the parts and take pics of sub-assembly and post them here this week.
Still waiting for the big 1701 prints to come my way.
[ not chopped up parts on my home printer, I had them professionally printed by a friendly relative who works at a print shop.]

Last edited:

spaceagent-9

Much like typing paper is good for very small items, rolling tubes and such, card stock seems to work best with models under 1 foot in area. after that size I would go up to that poster paper I described, from the Dollar Tree. it seems to hold up better at larger things. I will spray adhesive black card stock to the back of it with stencil cut ports and such.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OH, niiice! :)

One tip: Use 90% black as a base colour. This comes close to anthracite which would compensate for the scale effect at the same time. I used anthracite on my Revellogram Cylon Raider and it turned out much more natural than flat black. Folding lines and outlines of parts inside the basic components could be a tad lighter to make them easier to see (60 - 70% black). ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering if you built this model. This model needs a lot of careful fitment to look good, otherwise it looks like one of those "almost got it" models, as there are usually huge seams and ill fitting parts. RocketmanTan tends to bang out his models. This gets some unusual models out there, but not paying attention to the details usually means lots of work that should have been done by the designer is not done, and when I see the Beta models he has built on lots of his models, those same gaps and ill fitting seams are there. It's just a warning and caution that to get the best out of this model, you may find yourself making quite a few adjustments.

One, right off the top of my head is the top box shape and the piece that goes down the back should have been made longer, a hole cut into the fuselage and the piece slid through, there would be not gap, but you can even see in the picture how bad it fits. The flat piece around the mid section of the hull is problematic because he rarely uses formers. There are pictures at paper modelers that show this.

The pic below shows a model I would throw away if it came out that way. IMHO. It would be possible to turn this into something nice, but just realise that going into it. One with separated seams and ill fits, well honestly, at this stage of the hobby, unless you're very new at this, it shouldn't be acceptable, unless you're making a toy for your kid to crash and burn with. Making even a sub par paper model takes much time and effort. :)

Dark Star by Rocket Tan.jpg

spaceagent-9

I love this movie, so I was happy to see a model posted here. I think Jaybats makes one? I was going to start a thread about JB''s models and other authors making some kind of error about seams for some unknown reason, I think it might be the unfolding program? anyway, if you go ahead and build it with tabs and closing all the seams they look ''slanty''. I love JayBat's Jupiter 2!! I still plan to enlarge his to 16 inches at least by making stencils and then completing SurfDuke's interior inside it. right now I am expecting furniture, and have been cleaning my condo all week, but I corrected an ultraman jet, and might have to simply draw my own model of it. hayattas jet pic.png
As you can see the cockpit is more inclined and not as tall, the aft side is wider and the thruster area is more triangular. The portholes on the sides are also smaller. Finishing off a few other models I have drawn up.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I love this movie, so I was happy to see a model posted here. I think Jaybats makes one? I was going to start a thread about JB''s models and other authors making some kind of error about seams for some unknown reason, I think it might be the unfolding program? anyway, if you go ahead and build it with tabs and closing all the seams they look ''slanty''. I love JayBat's Jupiter 2!! I still plan to enlarge his to 16 inches at least by making stencils and then completing SurfDuke's interior inside it. right now I am expecting furniture, and have been cleaning my condo all week, but I corrected an ultraman jet, and might have to simply draw my own model of it. View attachment 193644
As you can see the cockpit is more inclined and not as tall, the aft side is wider and the thruster area is more triangular. The portholes on the sides are also smaller. Finishing off a few other models I have drawn up.

Tabs are the bane of model building. People should avoid them at all costs. That model looks fantastic!! ;)

spaceagent-9

That's a plastic toy, I am still sizing and test fitting the model I redrew. I am assembling furniture and extremely tired from physical therapy, You know them, those Borg nazi sadists that help you come back from an injury?