Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I think we should all celebrate the astronaut's splash down today!! So many things could have gone wrong, but didn't. :) Netflix has a new Transformers CGI series CYBERTRON WAR. If you liked the old cartoon but the movie was a little too much, you will probably like this lift off from Cybertron story. Here is some progress shots of the half size Spindrift Gary Pilsworth let me modify of his original. I'm still working on my own design that will be different from his [with some kind of interior]. I think that i will go full size with a hard mail out envelope of pre cut pieces since its so large, or a chopped email version that will be a resource here and on my own facebook group. [[ some real good3D PRINTS of 20ish inch online. FRANK TERRIBLE on face book has the best hull [no interior yet] in my opinion. Very expensive ones out there tho. Still cutting away on the black foam hull supports for RON CAUDILLO's large recolor of the TOS1701-so far so good. I need to upload and then link the video files--- soon.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Ok, I'm still working on cutting out the saucer support pieces for Ron C's large TOS1701 recolor, and found out some tips thru trial and error.
You want to use a normal large pocket knife and make stabbing sawing cuts around the piece you are cutting.
The paper will stick to the back and look scored.
You will have to CUT AWAY from yourself to cut this heavy duty paper backing.
Then use the very sharp utility scissors to trim the foam piece to shape.

I think that removing the paper might work, by using a hot shower over the entire board for a few minutes and peeling it off might be an answer,
Then simply cut to shape with scissors.
The only problem with that is it might be more flimsy than the stiff papered foam would be.
You could also stab/saw the piece free from the board, and then CAREFULLY cut the paper layer with an exacto blade.
DONT GET BLOOD ALL OVER YOUR PIECE.
Once you get this skill down, you will be able to zip thru this foam board cutting.
I can see this already after only 4 pieces.

Really wanting to make a 3 foot Klingon D7 out of peeled foamboard with lights, but it means spray painting the finished structure. I have no idea what kind of paint to use on peeled [pool noodle type PVS foam] foam board.

Reactions: lyter1958

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Ok, I'm still working on cutting out the saucer support pieces for Ron C's large TOS1701 recolor, and found out some tips thru trial and error.
You want to use a normal large pocket knife and make stabbing sawing cuts around the piece you are cutting.

I think that removing the paper might work, by using a hot shower over the entire board for a few minutes and peeling it off might be an answer,
The only problem with that is it might be more flimsy than the stiff papered foam would be.
You could also stab/saw the piece free from the board, and then CAREFULLY cut the paper layer with an exacto blade.
Once you get this skill down, you will be able to zip thru this foam board cutting.

Really wanting to make a 3 foot Klingon D7 out of peeled foamboard with lights, but it means spray painting the finished structure. I have no idea what kind of paint to use on peeled [pool noodle type PVS foam] foam board.

Send some pics of the process.

<minus the blood letting>

It would be interesting to see how the shaping proceeds...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That's a nice collection! It reminds me of the various models that sometimes are made for filming with different features. The lighting effect looks cool. :)

Reactions: spaceagent-9

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Which type of foam core are you using, that a sharp hobby blade won't cut easily? I use Xacto, HobbyCo, and cheap generic blades from Hobby Lobby, all seem to cut foam core well, though two or three passes is ideal. Also I have found cheap #10A scalpel blades from amazon, and use these for most general cutting now.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA

DUDE!!! GET ONE OF THESE...the blades are so sharp they will take off the end of your digits before you know it...they cut through 1/4" foam core like butter...cut at about 30degrees to the core and slow going...for curves hold at about 60 degrees...
HERE

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
DUDE!!! GET ONE OF THESE...the blades are so sharp they will take off the end of your digits before you know it...they cut through 1/4" foam core like butter...cut at about 30degrees to the core and slow going...for curves hold at about 60 degrees...
HERE

I think I will, I mean, I plan on making more foam core starships with lights in the future. I have started my air dry clay dino's already and tho I have much need to improve, i am happy with the results. I don't know what kind of paint to use on the air dry clay tho.

Reactions: Gandolf50

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Medical retirement. arthritis, degenerative vein heart disease, spinal injury from car wrecks,Diabetes2, strokes inoperable brain tumor on my pituitary gland. Had to kill most of the nerves in my spine and feet and neck. Just had to find something to do for the rest of my life, I tried playing the piano, but I didn't enjoy it, I like the guitar better. Like everyone else after my first try at a Romulan bird of prey PM, I was hooked. It was so much like scratchbuilding that I really enjoyed the challenges that paper gives us ; compound curves, materials, going from 2D print to a 3D model. I really admire the people that do the dioramas and the real complicated PMs. There are some really fantastic artists in this jaundra.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
What I really need to do is to sit down every day with my cup of coffee and watch all the tutorials here. I think I might do that tomorrow, and start a new chore for my list!
I wish you the very best of luck with it!!!
Once I finish the Lens head robot. I too am thinking about going through all of the tutorials for Sketchup-8 (as well as learning all of the plug-ins).