printer question

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
hey all
im currently using an Epson xp 2150 printer at home (not just for hobby stuff general printing too) just wondered what printers you guys would recommend within a not having to sell body parts range lol - in the UK region?
cheers for now guys
Az

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That is a very good question. I would strongly stick with INKJET printers ONLY! Reason for being is that when using an inkjet printer, the ink permeates into the paper, and when you manipulate the parts, the ink stays in place. As opposed the the LaserJet printer, the ink only lays on top of the paper, when you manipulate it, the ink will flake off.
Since I am living in the US, I can only talk about US prices. However, with that being said, Any Epson Inkjet printer is a good one for printing paper model templates. Since you already have one, if you are happy with it and the quality of the printing, I would just stay with it.
Personally, I have a BROTHERS brand printer. I am very happy with it. I always get good quality prints from it.
I would recommend doing some serious research by asking print shoppes and electronics shoppes (as well as googling different brand about that are available in your area) about the specifications and capabilities of Inkjet printers.
By the way, here is a link that I found that might help you with your research:

With that being said, I wish you the very best of luck with your search. I hope that you are able to find a good printer that will serve your needs.

DaveTheCrafty

Aug 8, 2022
Very happy user of https://www.brother.com.ph/en/products/all-printers/printers/dcp-t720dw

I've printed dozens of models/e-books/etc. on inkjet friendly paper, 80 to 200 gsm weights, xerox full-page sticker papers, or Brother/Canon inkjet photo papers - all looking great. The cost per page if very low/laughable compared to local copy centers.

I have to admit though that during summer high temperatures, the ink does stick to fingers a very tiny bit when doing the cutting/paper work from the paper.
No ink loss is visible on paper, but my finertips do become tainted after modelling session.

Reactions: seraphim

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
@seraphim I'd be interested in what you find out - personally I use my Local copy centre in Norwich, as I tend to use A3 sized prints. I like my models big!

I had a great Canon printer years ago which did A4 & A3 sadly it died, I hate domestic printers and that's why I get my local copier centre to do my bidding, I get a small discount too, as I supply the cardstock.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Get a printer that uses Pigment Ink, Not Dye based Ink. Pigment ink does not run when wet, and does not fade from U.V. light, it is considered archival.

Pigment Ink printers require you use them more as they use heat to apply the ink, the ink is embedded into the paper and does not come out. If you live in the U.S., good to www.inkproducts.com, and see what printers they suggest. They also are a first tier Ink distributor purchasing from the Ink Manufactures of O.E.M. ink. They have the best deals on ink that is available from anyone. You can call them, and they will answer the phone. :)
Look at this Pigment Ink Printer: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/maxify-mb2120?color=Black&type=New

www.inkproducts.com

Last edited:

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
@seraphim I'd be interested in what you find out - personally I use my Local copy centre in Norwich, as I tend to use A3 sized prints. I like my models big!

I had a great Canon printer years ago which did A4 & A3 sadly it died, I hate domestic printers and that's why I get my local copier centre to do my bidding, I get a small discount too, as I supply the cardstock.
For me its better to do my printing at home, i must admit A3 prints do sound awesome but i dont think id have room for too many large builds lol. Thus far ive tended to stick with Epson printers (or they are the ones i go back to most) inkjet printers but im always looking for better print quality vs machine price

DaveTheCrafty

Aug 8, 2022
Make sure to search the internet for your operating system + printer compatibility (forums dicussing specific model problems etc) when you narrow down the choice!

Friend of mine got `Canon TS 8300`, and the SOB printer does NOT work properly on Windows 11 - repetive problems with applications hijacking/overriding the layout settings, etc. Despite many tutorials (official and un- too) and help from 2-3 IT friends they didn't manage to print 4 on 1 and similar setups properly due to driver issues.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm an HP guy and use their OfficeJet series. In Germany they offer "Instant Ink" which is a great idea. Usually you pay for the ink cartridges, the Instant Ink program makes you pay for the number of printed pages (no matter if you print them full colour or black and white). This is much cheaper. The cartridges you get within this program contain more ink, too. The prints are flawless and maintain quality for a LOOOONG period of time. In fact, since I have joined this forum, the colours of my models have not faded at all. I use 160gsm paper from Clairfontaine or Rainbow (archival standard). :)

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
I'm an HP guy and use their OfficeJet series. In Germany they offer "Instant Ink" which is a great idea. Usually you pay for the ink cartridges, the Instant Ink program makes you pay for the number of printed pages (no matter if you print them full colour or black and white). This is much cheaper. The cartridges you get within this program contain more ink, too. The prints are flawless and maintain quality for a LOOOONG period of time. In fact, since I have joined this forum, the colours of my models have not faded at all. I use 160gsm paper from Clairfontaine or Rainbow (archival standard). :)
yep they have instant ink in the uk too with epson, ive been using that service for a bit now as its more cost effective for our needs, and alot of the terrain ive built for gaming comes from sites like DriveThruRPG that offer lots of choices for scenery kits which can mean alot of printing lol.
the card im using atm is Amazon bought, ranging from 160gsm, 220gsm and 300gsm, with A4 adhesive paper sheets too.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Whatever works, mate! I found out the hard way that the real limit is the paper thickness. If it is too thick it won't get through the printer. :)

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
Whatever works, mate! I found out the hard way that the real limit is the paper thickness. If it is too thick it won't get through the printer. :)
lol err yea...i found out rather noisily and clunkily that my printer will not take 300 gsm lol 220 is the limit - if i need thicker i print on adhesive paper and transfer it to the 300 gsm that way, which seems to work pretty well

Reactions: mijob

Toutenkarton

Oct 7, 2019
France Alsace
6 months ago I treated myself to a 4 colors megatank from Canon, a bottle of ink costs no more than a cartridge and you can print up to 6000 pages. The advantage of inkjet and laser. Printing up to 300g/m2. I am very happy with it

Reactions: mijob

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
6 months ago I treated myself to a 4 colors megatank from Canon, a bottle of ink costs no more than a cartridge and you can print up to 6000 pages. The advantage of inkjet and laser. Printing up to 300g/m2. I am very happy with it
what was the price if you dont mind me asking?

DaveTheCrafty

Aug 8, 2022
for comparison- basically same range with my Brother mentioned above - prices for central europe - 237,- euro (full duplex model with scanner), ink being around 7e per CMY (5000 pages, 5% coverage), 8e per black (6000p)
--
Don't know what type the mentioned Canon runs, my Brother is water based ink, so not as fancy features as @Revell-Fan mentioned.
Printers with pigment based inks are tad more expensive...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The HP ink prices have risen to insane heights. I was really shocked to see that when I was about to replace my first set of cartridges of the then new printer. That's why I tried InstantInk which is much more cost-effective.

Reactions: micahrogers

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you are in the U.S., you can't get cheaper prices for O.E.M. in from www.inkproducts.com .

They buy fromt the distributor who buys from the manufacturer, which is Dupont. Dupont holds the patent on Ink for printers. If you are outside the U.S., the Cannon with the refillable tanks is a good deal, but onlly the black ink is Pigment Ink, the colors are ye based, which means, left in the Sunshine they will fade, they will find anyways, and the ink will run when wet. That's why I only get printers that use use P{igment Ink for all colors and shades. You can't let these printers sit though, as the heads use heat put down the ink. It is easy to clean head though and the company I mentioned sells a great kit for doing that. ;)

DaveTheCrafty

Aug 8, 2022
Not sure about model range and brands availability of the same process...
My model, when connected in electricity (even when turned off) runs some "spit aside" procedure here and there depending on how long you do not print anything.
If i had to guess, i'd say i notice it or it jump-scares others at home about once per week or two.
It uses the built-in sponge/parts, so no papiers flying out of printer by themselves of course.
It is a tiny ink waste, but considering minimal cost per page, doesnt bother me much.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
HP printers know when you use compatible (= non-original) cartridges. I did it once, I will never do it again. The printer stopped printing black and got unusable.

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
HP printers know when you use compatible (= non-original) cartridges. I did it once, I will never do it again. The printer stopped printing black and got unusable.
i stick to original inks just incase, even then it can be a little temperamental once in a while - i find i have to run regular cleaning jobs on it otherwise the prints can get very iffy. There is also the issue of barely noticeable lines on the prints - tried everything but always stays the same. I think for now, till i get my printing chops up to par ill stick with this Epson, but i do see a change down the line.