printer question

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I don't know where some of you guys live, but the cartridges from www.Inkproducts.com, will work for any printer they have listed for. I have used their ink and refillable cartridges for all my Epson printers for the last 10 years, never had a problem. The lines on your prints means the swiper is not cleaning off the heads, and the paper rollers are getting contaminated. ;)

seraphim

Sep 1, 2023
I don't know where some of you guys live, but the cartridges from www.Inkproducts.com, will work for any printer they have listed for. I have used their ink and refillable cartridges for all my Epson printers for the last 10 years, never had a problem. The lines on your prints means the swiper is not cleaning off the heads, and the paper rollers are getting contaminated. ;)
im in the UK :) hmm dont know why its not cleaning properly - i run the cleaner utility regularly enough....printer flaw?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I once "inherited" a Canon printer. No idea what the cause was but it didn't print black, it would print grey instead. At first I thought it was defective but after some research on I found several different models - with exactly the same printing results. Seeing so many grey prints made me think this was the regular way a Canon prints. So I put it up on eBay, it got sold and the buyer was very happy. Strange things happen. :drinksmile:

Last edited:
Reactions: seraphim

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There's a swiper that wipes the nozzle tips. Sometimes it gets hard, or need to be adjusted (if is adjustable), sometimes I just pull it down, to make sure it's wiping the head clean. If you don't have a head cleaning solution, you can use dish detergent, just a drop in the size of a large baby milk bottle is enough. You fill syringes, and the syringes are filled with almost hot water, and with a rubber hose attached, and the Ink Cartridge removed, you flush out the printer head, never puling back on the syringe. Sometimes Ink mixed water will come out of the bottom so do it on a surface,like an aluminum throw away pan, so you don't stain anything..

A good cleaning will solve many problems. You also have to clean the paper rollers, especially if the swiper isn't any good, as they will get contaminated with ink and leave marks. The best thing to do is to print a full color picture of something every week, this keeps the nozzles fresh. Wait any longer than that, and the ink gets hard, and the spray just doesn't come out right out of the nozzle. They are temperamental little machines.

I have lost really nice printers for lack of using them. I have a 13" x 19" Epson I just got going again, but I had to disassemble that printer. Frankly, it wasn't worth it. I only paid $169 for it, and the last time it was available it cost $699. Talk about price swings.

If I start getting into modeling again, I've had a "modelers black" for quite some time, I've been looking at some printers.

I will be buying whatever www.inkproducts.com recomends, as I can buy bulk ink from them, and they really only recomend printers that they put through the paces. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
im in the UK :) hmm dont know why its not cleaning properly - i run the cleaner utility regularly enough....printer flaw?

I missed this when you first posted it. The "Cleaning:" utility that comes with printers is just the printer trying to shove ink through the nozzles, and lots of it, then swiping at it with the rubber swiper.

Real cleaning involves using a solution (a drop of dish detergent to a baby bottle size of water container), mixing that all up while it very very warm, but not hot, and injecting through each printer nozzle with syringe attached to a rubber hose and flushing out, (never pulling back) the solution. Doing this flushing each nozzle, usually their are 4, there could be 6, and the fluid may drip out the bottom of the printer but it won't hurt anything. Just do it on a surface that won't get stained, like an throw away aluminum pan.

You reinstall the ink cartridges and print something to make the ink go through all nozzles, and pick up any stray liquid. This usually will fix any printer for a very long time. When I actively used my printers, I printed one dense picture every week. This kept the heads clean. Any less than that, they would clog. This is especially true of Pigment Ink printers as they use Heat to put the ink down. It cools and dries on the head, messing up the spray pattern. :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan