My old "500"

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That engine is a work of art. Too bad you didn't have 2 of them. One would look nice on an engine stand! :)

Reactions: mijob and Tonino

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
That engine is a work of art. Too bad you didn't have 2 of them. One would look nice on an engine stand! :)
Yes, that was my thought too. But one of my objectives was to exactly replicate all the connections, mechanical and electric, between the engine and the car, as you will see further... So it's a pity that a great part of my work now is fairly visible, but my intention, at the beginning of this build, was to make the closest-to-real possible reproduction of my actual car.

and so here are the photos taken after engine installation...

DSC09404.JPG
This is the electrical wire and the command cable operating the starter motor

DSC09405.JPG
This is the clutch cable

DSC09407.JPG
This is the throttle cable

DSC09409.JPG
Fuel line coming from fuel tank to the pump and electrical cable attached to alternator

DSC09410.JPG
Tension regulator with its cables

DSC09411.JPG
Another view (from below) of the clutch command

DSC09412.JPG
The gear shift control and the wiring harness going from engine to the front of the car.

DSC09414.JPG
...and, last but not least, the cable controlling the fuel mixture (for cold starting).

Now I think I am able to restore a real 500 ;)

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Other detail works...

DSC09389.JPG
The horn. The one provided was really ugly so I decided to build it from scratch

DSC09396.JPG
On the left the Hachette version, on the right... mine

DSC09403.JPG
And there is the horn in place in the front of the car, near to brake master cylinder and the steering mechanism.

DSC09425.JPG
Going inside... this is the ash tray that I have detailed with the cigarette holder.

DSC09439.JPG
The pedals, accurately consumed by years of use. Very typical the little accelerator pedal on the right.

DSC09442.JPG
Another very typical feature well known by any 500 user: the manual water pump for the windshield cleaning nozzles.
Another detail added to recreate the correct "feeling" to the cockpit.

DSC09456.JPG
Going to the front lid: the turn indicator device (left) the fuse box provided by Hachette (center) and my version (right). The cables are painted according to original FIAT electric schemes...

DSC09464.JPG
The fuse box in its definitive collocation near to brake fluid reservoir (below) and wiper motor (up)

DSC09462.JPG
The FIAT immatriculation plate. Another little but important detail ignored by Hachette.

DSC09459.JPG
...and, finally, a general view of the front lid arrangement. In the center the fuel tank, on the left the jack, the tool box, an old rag (never forget it when you drive old cars) and, at the far right, the plastic bag that contained the water for the windshield cleaning circuit.

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
...very last details:

DSC09467.JPG
The hood release lever...

DSC09470.JPG
...and the same once placed under the dashboard

DSC09476.JPG
The label with the suggested speed to reach for each gear during initial engine life (don't know the English word... in italian it's "rodaggio")

DSC09481.JPG
The oil change label placed in the door side

DSC09483.JPG
The radio antenna. This is not an original accessory. Car stereo was not a standard feature in '70's

DSC09490.JPG
the antenna in place

DSC09503.JPG
The license plates and the "FIAT 500" logo were obtained by 3D print service and hand painted.
San Marino crest (the 3 towers logo) was inkjet printed on transparent foil and applied on the painted surface.
A final coat of gloss transparent varnish uniformed the surfaces.