Mowe

goodduck

Rough in the rifle and cane for now, going to save that till the very last items to detail. I decided to make it in 1/6 scale almost 3ft wingspan(me like big model, <3, much, <3). I'm trying a new thing on the wing frame, shooting for bullet proof design... ok, maybe not bullet prove, just Allen prove will do.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11

goodduck

...... maybe I should make the wing fold..... pay no mind, just thinking out loud again....

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10
Z

Zathros

Beautiful craftsmanship! if you are careful with the C.G., with some long trailing satin strips, I bet you could make a kit out of this, (second time this week I saw a model that could be made fly). The weight would of course have to be kept to a minimum, but with a 3 foot wingspan, you could get a lot of lift. If you could make a Styrofoam version of this, you would have a great toy on your hands!! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The amount of work and detail that you are putting into this model is absolutely PHEMAMINAL.
I like the frame work that you are putting into this model. It looks like it will be very sturdy.
You truly are a MASTER DESIGNER.

goodduck

I thought about vacuform, pre-cut vacuform kit would be nice. maybe I'll look into it some more when this done.

N

niebla de fuego

At 1/6 scale it will be the same size as the Folletto. It will be very interesting to seem them side by side.
Moewe will be big, but it surely looks nice. I've always loved that glider.

I was wondering about the inner structure of the wings, and I am happy to see that you are being very careful with it. With all those spars it looks like the wings will never sag.

Will it have movable ailerons?

Regards,

goodduck

The main frame section is going to be made out of corrugated sheet. Very careful folding required on that, I guess. I experimented on that with the Savoia.S21 early engine, it works really well, wondering how well it work out on a large scale.

Z

Zathros

A Nickel wire with a Rheostat shaped as an airfoil cutting aerospace quality foam would give you a wing with the strength of a surfboard! :)

N

niebla de fuego

Allen, after seeing this inner structure of the glider, and the way you design your submarines, I notice that you are making a real difference in the way paper models are designed.

While most commercial models of ships and planes used only a minimal amount of spars, ribs and bulkheads, you include a larger amount of these in your structures.

I like it, because I believe it is an intelligent approach to the structure. It parallels what was called "multi-cell" structure used in the DC-3 wings and other later airplanes. Is not exactly the the same technique, but your multi-spars and firmly placed bulkheads serve the same purpose: they spread the weight and the stress through several smaller structures all along the skeleton. That gives the final model an incredible strenght and resistance. And I know that! Destroying the first Savoia was not an easy task, it took a lot of time and effort. Other commercial models would not have survived at all.

Your kits will make models that will last longer than other commercial paper models. And not also that, your attention to detail produces really fine-looking products. I'm sure of that.

Also, seeing the screenshots of your design process is a most enjoyable experience. :D

Regards,

goodduck

While most commercial models of ships and planes used only a minimal amount of spars, ribs and bulkheads, you include a larger amount of these in your structures.

Thank you very much for the kind words, and thanks everyone too. I like my paper model to be play toys, something that I can kick around and not just a shelf fixture look but don't touch. So structure integrity is very impotent to me. I know that in my designs, most of the time and materials are spent on complicated, overkill internal structure, I sure that will turn off a lot of models critics. But, I always want to try something different, experiment. I'm still a papercraft baby learn to walk, long way to go before I can run.

I broken down the parts some more, added card thickest and lap joint(that part is not fun at all). I also added a traditional center spar and cross ribs just in case the corrugated spar don't fly. ..... I addressed the fuselage frame again..... what else did I miss....? Okay, next time I'll address the aileron parts.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 8
Z

Zathros

How the heck do you come up with these frame ideas!?!?!? You a genius Allen! :)

N

niebla de fuego

I like your concept: making paper models to be play toys. It sure is a big difference from just static models.

So, like the DC-3 and the B-17, your models can sustain a huge amount of handling, rough winds, flak, enemy bullets.... and still look good :)

I believe what you are doing is "paper engineering" more than just "paper model design". :D

Regards,

Ruben.

Z

Zathros

I agree Ruben. My 12 year old plays with all my models. It gives me great pleasure. It also makes for a better static model, as it will keep it's shape longer. :)

goodduck

I went back to rework the frame and bulkheads to accommodated the legs and handrails, also size down the rifle storage tubes too.....

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 9

goodduck

....both the handrails and legs are going to have to have a brass wire sandwiched between two card stock to hold up all that weight. ..... think I got everything but the skin nailed down..... yea, I think so. Next, I'll skin it.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 8
Z

Zathros

You might be able to get Brass tubing at your local hobby shop that will slide inside each other. his will give you the ability to remove and repair the railing if necessary. Some of this tubing has flux built into it so it solders together really well. by flattening one end it would give a strong anchor into the frame. Just an observation. Looks excellent! :)

goodduck

Did some more work on the intake and exhaust. I forgot the vents under the fuselage so I addressed that now.

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9

goodduck

..... and couple more pic for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg