Memorials

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for sharing this with us! I lived in Bratislava for a year. I remember visiting this place when I was there.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That's really beautiful. Russia gave America a beautiful memorial to the victims of 911, but the news barely reported, and many people do not know it even exists. See pic below. All the names of the people who died immediately are etched in stone at the base, and that big tear drop is made out of pure Nickel. I believe it was a beautiful, sincere gesture on Russia's part. IMHO :)

Link to official site: http://www.911monument.com/history.cfm

911 Memorial from Russia.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I remember that, thou I don't remember where it was placed. and you are right, it is a beautiful monument.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It is on a point on the Jersey (Bayonne, N.J.)side where the Twin Towers looked like on building. It was overgrown , ex military base, an eyesore. The Russian Government financed the whole build and put up the memorial, as they felt anywhere else be disrespectful to the deceased, and that point gives you a beautiful view of lower Manhattan. :)

QUOTE from official Website:

Zurab (the designer) spoke with friends and colleagues who were in NY during the attacks. He heard stories about how boats and ferries were used to shuttle survivors away from the Twin Towers. He also learned about the New Jersey residents who worked in the towers. Zurab decided to look for a site in New Jersey, where the monument could be on the waterfront and settled on a never before seen area of the peninsula at Bayonne. Here, the World Trade Center was the backdrop to the waterfront, and so, the backdrop of life. The site had been a military instillation, and the town had decided to convert the land into public park-space.

mikezax

Thanx ;)

TO: zathros
nice memorial, that would be a nice model ;)

Memorial in The Valley of Death (Slovakia)

Scale : 1:?? (about 1:80)
Author : Ladislav Jakubčo, BaJ
Source : Fifík 5/2020

...brief description:
Amongst the villages Kapišová, Kružľová and Nižná Písaná we can find scattered artillery symbolized by 8 tanks T34/85 in the terrain representing a tank company on strike. All the scenery is here to remind the public of the fights taking place on the site from 25th to 27th October 1944, more here:

...it's a simple model that I've improved a bit, a few photos:
DSCN3286.jpgDSCN3294.jpgDSCN3302.jpgDSCN3310.jpgDSCN3315.jpgDSCN3322.jpgDSCN3326.jpgDSCN3337.jpg

mikezax

Russian anti-tank gun ZIS-2 (Slovakia)
(Monument and "open-air museum" in Skároš - the first liberated village in the district of Košice)

Scale : 1:25
Author : Ing. Ladislav Jakubčo, BaJ
Source : Fifík magazine

...brief description:
I will add another piece to the series of monuments and since we celebrated the end of World War II on 8-9.5, I am adding a monument for this period. The ZIS-2 model was released in Fifík, I made the pad according to the real monument in Skároš, which looks like this:

zis-2 real1.jpg

...As for the model itself, I thought it was a simple model, but the tubular parts were not quite simple, at least for me ... I tried to improve the model at least a little... I added a little patina ... maybe it looks a little better ... I tried to make the pad according to a real memorial. , a few photos:
DSCN5940.jpgDSCN5953.jpgDSCN5972.jpgDSCN5981.jpgDSCN5987.jpgDSCN5992.jpgDSCN6041.jpgDSCN6046.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This is really an excellent idea, building models of memorials. It honors those who did such brave acts in the past around the world, regardless of politics today, which these people had nothing to do with. This has the promise of really being an excellent thread. It will be interesting to see what models you find.

The ZIS-2 mmodel came out great! Sometimes, the simpler the model, the more perfect everything has to be. Great job, Great thread!! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I hear you on that. Too many horrid things have gone on that people see to know nothing about or have forgotten. :iagree:

mikezax

Hachiko (Japan)
(Bronze statue at Shibuya Train Station in Tokyo)

big-thumbnail340989_045354581745794675_1511666227070.jpg

Another piece in a series of monuments. Not only important people and events have memorials, but a few animals have their own statue. I like dogs, they keep me company all my life (now I'm sixth), so when I found this 3D model, I had to include it in my collection. It is therefore a combination of 3D printing (sculpture and inscription) and a paper model (pedestal).
As for the model, it probably doesn't need to be explained, it is a dog who, after the death of his master for 9 years, went every day waiting for the station for his master ... 2 films were made about him. The statue was erected at the station, where he waited every night. More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

A few photos:

DSCN6113.jpgDSCN6120.jpgDSCN6128.jpgDSCN6145.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
A bittersweet story. I'd want my dog to move on. I've had many many dogs. They averaged around 16 years each. My Dalmatian broke my heart, and a Corgi-I don't know what mix, I rescued, died this year after being 19 years old. I won't keep anymore dogs as they tend to live long, and I don't believe I'll be in shape to take care of one when I get older, as is happeing now, but I never have regretted any dog, or cat, I have owned. I had a cat, named Carlisle, she lived for 25 years. She raised the Dalmatian. They were best friends. ;)

mikezax

Memorial to the Motorists
(ZIS 6, BM-13 "Katyusha")

Scale : 1:?
Author : Ing. Ladislav Jakubčo, BaJ
Source : Papierové modely, vystrihovačky (Perfekt)

1589270150-photo_2020-05-12_10-52-58.jpg

This memorial is dedicated to the Soviet motorists who fell in the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945). It is located in Krivoy Rog in Ukraine.
It's another addition to my series of memorials ... I chose this memorial because I had enough photos from different angles, so I could make a suitable pedestal anyway ...
The "Katyusha" model is from the red book of cut-outs by Mr. Jakubčo. I did not modify the model, I just cut the "air" and changed the color of the windows according to the real model. I made the pedestal according to the photos, I shortened it a bit in the front part, because it's quite big like this ... At first I thought it was a simple model, but this is not quite true, I struggled a lot with it .. .it is not perfectly glued, but at least I managed to finish it...

A few photos:

DSCN9531.jpgDSCN9540.jpgDSCN9545.jpgDSCN9549.jpgDSCN9557.jpgDSCN9559.jpg
DSCN9562.jpg
DSCN9568.jpg
DSCN9578.jpgDSCN9590.jpg

mikezax

Foundations of the church of St. Martin, (Lidice monument, Czech republic)

Author: Zax

Scale: 1:200

Video:

kostol sv.martina 2 lidice csm_kostel._sv._Martina_movisio_468cf0da80.jpg

The assassination of Heydrich was a successful diversionary action of Operation Anthropoid paratroopers of the exiled Czechoslovak armed forces during the Second World War, the target of the assassination was a prominent Nazi, representing the Reich Protector and head of the RSHA Reinhard Heydrich. The assassination was carried out on May 27, 1942 in Prague-Libno by Jozef Gabčík and Jan Kubiš, who were specially trained for this task in Great Britain.
Retaliatory repressive actions, including the annihilation of the villages of Lidice and Ležáky and the execution of many people, are collectively called the heydrichiad.
The extermination of Lidice (June 9 and 10. 1942) was a violent historical event in which the central Bohemian village of Lidice was destroyed and a significant part of its inhabitants were murdered by German Nazi occupiers. After the successful assassination of Reinhard Heydrich by Czechoslovak paratroopers in 1942, the village of Lidice was burned down and completely razed to the ground as a result of the heydrichiad, and the entire local population was executed or sent to concentration camps. The total number of victims reached 340 (192 men, 60 women and 88 children). The event is commemorated today by the Lidice Memorial and Museum.

Lidice_Memorial_2010_11.jpg

When creating the foundations, I used the available photos from the Lidice Memorial.

DSCN5738.jpgDSCN5741.jpgDSCN5743.jpgDSCN5745.jpgDSCN5748.jpgDSCN5753.jpgDSCN5759.jpgDSCN5762.jpg

If you want to see how the church looked before the Nazis destroyed it, you can look here: