Memorials

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Here I sometimes add a model of a monument (I have more than one planned) The first is this monument in the Slovak capital, Bratislava:

Slavin
(Bratislava, Slovakia)

Scale : 1:200
Author : Juraj Gonšor
Source : Vystrihovačky-papierové modely (Perfekt)

Slavin is the war memorial and cemetery.
...more details this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slav%C3%ADn

...a few photos of the finished model:
DSCN3213.jpgDSCN3220.jpgDSCN3223.jpgDSCN3232.jpgDSCN3238.jpgDSCN3243.jpgDSCN3252.jpgDSCN3278.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
Thank you for sharing this with us! I lived in Bratislava for a year. I remember visiting this place when I was there.

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
That's really beautiful. Russia gave America a beautiful memorial to the victims of 911, but the news barely reported, and many people do not know it even exists. See pic below. All the names of the people who died immediately are etched in stone at the base, and that big tear drop is made out of pure Nickel. I believe it was a beautiful, sincere gesture on Russia's part. IMHO :)

Link to official site: http://www.911monument.com/history.cfm

911 Memorial from Russia.jpg

zathros

-----SENIOR----
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013
It is on a point on the Jersey (Bayonne, N.J.)side where the Twin Towers looked like on building. It was overgrown , ex military base, an eyesore. The Russian Government financed the whole build and put up the memorial, as they felt anywhere else be disrespectful to the deceased, and that point gives you a beautiful view of lower Manhattan. :)

QUOTE from official Website:

Zurab (the designer) spoke with friends and colleagues who were in NY during the attacks. He heard stories about how boats and ferries were used to shuttle survivors away from the Twin Towers. He also learned about the New Jersey residents who worked in the towers. Zurab decided to look for a site in New Jersey, where the monument could be on the waterfront and settled on a never before seen area of the peninsula at Bayonne. Here, the World Trade Center was the backdrop to the waterfront, and so, the backdrop of life. The site had been a military instillation, and the town had decided to convert the land into public park-space.

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
Thanx ;)

TO: zathros
nice memorial, that would be a nice model ;)

Memorial in The Valley of Death (Slovakia)

Scale : 1:?? (about 1:80)
Author : Ladislav Jakubčo, BaJ
Source : Fifík 5/2020

...brief description:
Amongst the villages Kapišová, Kružľová and Nižná Písaná we can find scattered artillery symbolized by 8 tanks T34/85 in the terrain representing a tank company on strike. All the scenery is here to remind the public of the fights taking place on the site from 25th to 27th October 1944, more here:

...it's a simple model that I've improved a bit, a few photos:
DSCN3286.jpgDSCN3294.jpgDSCN3302.jpgDSCN3310.jpgDSCN3315.jpgDSCN3322.jpgDSCN3326.jpgDSCN3337.jpg