M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I believe that most are just under 200 gsm 190 or so, but this may be a bit different... Mine measures out to be right at the same as 199 gsm, same as my standard index stock. ( mine has become a bit more weathered sitting on the shelf for all this time)!! I keep telling myself "one of these days" but that day isn't here yet!

snake7

Thanks for the info. I don't now how to measure paper weight from thickness.
But I feel that this paper is comfortable for assembling, by now. And this is the most important thing :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I just measure the actual thickness of paper. I use 110 lb. Card stock and 67 lb. lb for the thinner stuff. 1mm for heavy frames of ships. It is way to confusing. ;)

snake7

The build tempo is not as I had planned, perhaps because I again got into a bunch of small parts + templates.
First, I added the bolt caps on the bottom front panel and some caps on the bottom of the hull

bUkVCH.jpg

C1nCCV.jpg

Then I began to fill the bath of a hull. A bunch of small parts ...

9nq6F8.jpg

I cut the bolt caps . These bolts fasten the suspension system.
Each cap is about one millimeter.

J9mFjp.jpg

And I began to build support for the engine and fire extinguishing system + fuel line with a pump.
There were a lot of pipes that needed to be made from wire, and, as I had planned, I used solders of different diameters.
At first it was a bit difficult to create suitable forms, but with some experience I was able to easily mold all the pipes.
In a princep, working with such a wire is easy because it is soft and easily bent and can be bent at any angle with your fingers.
Only in sharp corners I used pliers.
I am pleased with the result, although the parts are very fragile and require special care when gluing.
It took me a lot of patience and time to glue them in place at all these angles,
when along the way I ripped off a bunch of bolt caps that I had to stick back.

By the way, in this model, templates capture two whole pages full of drawings. :eek:

lxrnTu.jpg

i9NUWi.jpg

All parts are ready and assembly has begun. As a result, we got a fire extinguishing system with 4 fire extinguishers (for now) pipes,
connecting fuel tanks (futured) with the pump and engine supports.
When installing I damaged paint on the tubes here and there.
I decided not to touch it and leave it as it is because, in my opinion, it fits well with the overall weathering.

RdNeNU.jpg

q50ccS.jpg

WWT9Yt.jpg

IUBnSJ.jpg

0wn4vr.jpg

WtXgyL.jpg

NbUhgL.jpg

rKo688.jpg

V5T2pq.jpg

ispLdO.jpg

Last edited:

Dagger

Extraordinary!! Pipes and bolts look very good. And rest assured that not only the caterpillars will give you work, you have plenty to entertain you there!:)

Boris

That is crazily awesome. How did you cut the hexagonal bolts? Just with the Xcto of AK4 knives?

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
A detailed model like this is awesome,, but to see it built so well is what really makes this model awesome!! The detailed small parts inventory you have amassed are so well built! :)

snake7

Thanks Zathros

After I finished with engine compartment detailing, I had several options to continue:
  • Continue by numbers and assemble the front wall of the engine room
  • Assemble the fuel tanks and install on the sides, as a continuation of the equipment of the engine room
  • Start assembling engine
I chose the last option - to assemble the engine, because I realized that such a complex unit would be difficult to push into place,
and if I continued and closed the engine compartment or installed the fuel tanks on the sides, it would limit access to place the engine

That's why I start the model inside the model, and this is the Chrysler engine, which consists of five blocks of 4.1, so the entire engine was 20.5 liters and produced 470 horsepower.
These engines were installed in M3A4 Lee and of course Sherman Firefly

This is how the engine looked live

JrdeQU.jpg

And that how it should turn out of paper
The developer tried to detail it as much as possible, given the paper and scale limitations, and I am happy to assemble such a masterpiece, even if at the end half of the engine will be hidden.

XysiXl.jpg

Only engine has two pages of drawings

MxQoW6.jpg

PuEIDO.jpg

There is a great number of parts as well - a page and a half heap crammed + a lot of frame details
I had to prepare before assembling and collected all the parts from the book. It was relatively easy, because even here everything is thought out and most of the details are concentrated in one place and with the numbering in order
I glued the details of the frame to the cardboard and already managed to use four thicknesses:
0.2 (empty space on the page from the book)
0.5 (old cardboard card)
1 (specially ordered cardboard)
1.5 (cardboard from the store for building layouts)

XoveiX.jpg

6dpOrt.jpg

Of course, later some printed parts also will be reinforced with cardboard.

First of all, the heart of the engine is assembled and because it is the basis for all - the power frame is assembled, on which the casing is put on.

JEZOc3.jpg

1nE9Nu.jpg

At the end of the assembly, it looks like this
ZflNOu.jpg

wDy0PF.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Smart idea. This will really help you stuff everything in there. :)

xaero892

Mad Modeller
I just stumbled upon this and I have to say, WOW.
I'm definitely following this build.
That is some VERY impressive work so far. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
We lost a lot of posts. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Tapatalk did not do their job. We now have new software, and a private, modern fast server. You can rebuild your thread if you wish, or just continue, I sure would like to see how this model turns out, it's so excellent!! thumbsup

snake7

The next stage is the assembly of 5 engine blocks, when each block is a six-row car engine with 110-120 horsepower

XkrbPW.jpg

I collected all the necessary parts, laminated what I needed with cardboard and began to assemble

DbK6pL.jpg

There is also a supporting structure, on which the casing will be glued. I decided to divide casing into parts.
This made it more convenient placement.
Plug holes are obtained by gluing several layers together with holes of different diameters.

FtHzDV.jpg

The casing is divided aside, and I cut out all the extra parts that are glued to the block.
The smallest bolts and rivets do not have to be glued, as there is an excellent pseudo print,
but for the sake of sport - I glued everything.

QkN19j.jpg

kIBsLT.jpg

Please note - each unit is special and not like the other, because they are located at different angles and are connected in different ways to all hoses and tubes.
Therefore, it should be marked, in order not to confuse the details.

vDXkYK.jpg

EXqTxk.jpg

S2kMyk.jpg

1p2SvN.jpg

snake7

А little progress

I installed 5 adapters connecting the radiator tubes to the engine and glued them on the blocks
Here too, each adapter is different due to the different angles at which each unit is attached.
Engineers worked hard and found creative solutions in the assembly of this monster engine :)

4tuHAt.jpg

I had to glue all adapters parts edge with edge with unusual angles,
But this is probably because lamination is not suitable due to the inclined angle of the adapter itself.

ZbgrJM.jpg

FITG00.jpg

HRdNab.jpg

qaWewC.jpg

Also I found very interesting page with details about Chrysler A57 multibank

Enjoy!

Chrysler A57 Multibank Tank Engine

Last edited:

snake7

So, after a week-long break, I returned to the model, and progress is already visible!

I began to assemble exhaust manifolds. It is also full of small details.

XoIkcg.jpg

Ww9KX9.jpg

Everything is glued edge to edge at unusual angles.
But the challenge was to assemble the curved tubes.
As a rule, it is possible to form them out of paper or bend them from wire.
I decided to form from paper, because I wanted to experiment a little.
In the future I will have to assemble large exhaust pipes with crazy angles and I had to train on cats :)
At first I tried to cut out the whole part without reeds and stick it into the tube.
Next, cut the corners and glue bented. Although gluing the tube was easy,
cutting corners was uncomfortable even with the sharpest knife.

xXXAFc.jpg

11T582.jpg

ltpoAL.jpg

I tried the second method: cut out the entire part, including the reeds. Although it was necessary to glue the tube on the reeds - it turned out cleaner and easier.
I assembled in this method the remaining tubes. And of course the exhaust manifolds

Pp7K9E.jpg

q868CP.jpg

7l5WGs.jpg

Glued them to the blocks. There is also a difference between the units, and the last one is different.

NTScgG.jpg

B87m03.jpg

Im87Sc.jpg

And here is the most interesting part! The blocks are assembled on the basis of the main crankcase and the outlines of the engine have already appeared!

BJLtZ9.jpg

4g5Una.jpg

zdqB2C.jpg

Last edited: