James Bond's Aston Martin DB5

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There is no mistaking of what car this is when looking at the model. That says it all. Excellent job Marcel!! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
I wouldn't have worried too much about the ejector hatch, as I guess before the ejector seat panel was activated - the panel would have seamlessly been blended into the roof, so as not too raise suspicion in reality, coz Bond is REAL! We get so used to seeing toys and the iconic scene in action, we just assume it is there.

As Mr Ross says about happy accidents, it's great you found yours, especially as it's on the car and not in your trousers! ;)

I have seen many a Bond and civilian DB5's and this build is stunning just like the real thing.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
:animated:

I guess there is no better assessment of the situation, Mr Chuffy! :D

Thank you all for your nice comments! :)

Despite all the major headache this model has given me I think it is the most gorgeous paper rendition of the AM available. It definitely is worth building and once you have overcome the oddities the final result speaks for itself. For that reason I spent yesterday afternoon updating the plans and enhancing the instructions for every fan to get his / her hands on. The most obvious thing which puts this model into the pro-modeller range is the missing flaps. That makes sense on the curved parts but on the ones with sharp edges they should be added for simplicity. I'm not sure if I will tackle these however, so that is one area you will have to deal with yourself. Some parts are placed too close together anyway, so they would have to be moved around to give more space for adding flaps (which would require more time which I never have because of all the projects that are in the queue). I would like to stress that this is strictly my view, other builders may prefer no flaps at all and might see this kit perfectly fitting the bill. ;)

I wouldn't have worried too much about the ejector hatch, as I guess before the ejector seat panel was activated - the panel would have seamlessly been blended into the roof, so as not too raise suspicion in reality, coz Bond is REAL! We get so used to seeing toys and the iconic scene in action, we just assume it is there.
There is indeed an outline on the roof of the real car, so the pencil line will do. Please take a look at this picture:

au003-aston-martin-db5-large.jpg

Too bad I was unable to use the bump-mapped version I created. That would have created a more subtle effect:

16.jpg

I printed the pattern in different shades but all of them had a slight blue hue to them, so it would have stood out on the model.

I wanted to incorporate the rotating number plate but considering the recipient will never play with that feature I skipped it. The shredders alone make up for everything! :wink:

Oh, and BTW, the car is finished. Just FYI. Not that this is of any importance..! :hammerhead:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You are welcome! :)

Alright then, here comes the final assembly! :)

The smaller set of front lights has the wrong colour. They should be clear / white like the bigger ones. I have recoloured the pattern accordingly but for my build I chose the original orange version to stress the dramatic purpose they have, to conceal the machine guns behind them! :)

I used some leftover material from one of the previous prints and cut out a series of dark grey circles, each of them about 5mm in diameter.

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1303.jpg

The orange lights are glued to one of the circles, another circle is laminated to the back side of it. A third circle was glued to the lights position to mimick an opening in the chassis.

DSCF1304.jpg

The lights are glued to the bottom of the circle on the body at a 90° angle, tilted forward. A 5mm long shashlik rod was painted black and glued onto the circle right above the tilted light.

DSCF1309.jpg

After attaching the side mirrors and the exhaust pipes we have got this result:

DSCF1307.jpg

DSCF1305.jpg

Wheel shredders in:

DSCF1310.jpg

and out:

DSCF1311.jpg

And everything complete:

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Wow! You really raised the bar on this model!! :)

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
A great build, might just have to make this for a good friend of mine.

We both enjoy hurling Bond quotes at each other and this would be a great gift for him.

I already have two DB5's in the house, my partner would raise an eyebrow of scorn should another appear :wink:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you all very much! :)

A great build, might just have to make this for a good friend of mine.

We both enjoy hurling Bond quotes at each other and this would be a great gift for him.

I already have two DB5's in the house, my partner would raise an eyebrow of scorn should another appear :wink:
Cool idea! Those DB5s, are they real cars or models? I'd love to see a picture. :)

I'm almost finished with the rework of the kit and will upload it to the Resources. It is not a complete overhaul, you will have to add the flaps yourself. It was not my intention to remake anything in the first place, so I have not written down where I added some and where I skipped them. The additional info and pictures will give you at least a better understanding of the assembly. You will definitely not make the same mistakes I did. ;) It is definitely a nice model which gives you several options to display. The icing on the cake would be a revolving number plate at the front... Hmm... Let me try something...

rnp.jpg

:)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Thank you all very much! :)

Cool idea! Those DB5s, are they real cars or models? I'd love to see a picture. :)

I'm almost finished with the rework of the kit and will upload it to the Resources. It is not a complete overhaul, you will have to add the flaps yourself. It was not my intention to remake anything in the first place, so I have not written down where I added some and where I skipped them. The additional info and pictures will give you at least a better understanding of the assembly. You will definitely not make the same mistakes I did. ;) It is definitely a nice model which gives you several options to display. The icing on the cake would be a revolving number plate at the front... Hmm... Let me try something...

View attachment 205755

:)

Ha-ha! Revell-Fan...real? I wish!

Although I had more than I thought...

1/24th model by Doyusha which came with Bond and Odd Job, a same scale die-cast pre-built stunning replica and my Corgi junior
db1.JPG

The absolutely beautiful engine, even the aerial pops up! ...and all the other bits work too
db2.JPG

Corgi Junior
db3.JPG

If you really want to know about the DB5's used in the Bond films from the earliest days, then this book which came out in 1991 is a fantastic read
db4.JPG

Dave Stears who put all the gadgets into the car, even built R2-D2!
db5.JPG

wonderful blueprints
db6.JPG

Replica mail-away...that die-cast was £99 in 1997...probably £200 these days!
db7.JPG

Press cutting which I took from the paper of I guy who I did some work for at his house. A village about 9 miles from me has a garage called the Stratton Motor Company, which sells Lotus and Aston Martin's - So when Goldeneye went into production the 5's were supplied from there and looked after by Francis and another chap Alan.
On one of my job rounds I found myself in Francis' house putting up window blinds, sadly he was not there, but he had some behind the scene pictures on the wall which his wife filled in the details of his trip.
db8.JPG

Roughly 1/48th scale DB5 which came out in stores really cheap, £1.99 for the first issue to get you to collect the Cars of Bond every month until you are skint!
db9.JPG

Sadly my pictures from the Bond Exhibition we went to are at my mothers, I'll share those at a later date, hope you enjoyed my mediocre collection

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
@Chuffy70 : WOW!

colour.jpg

Colour me impressed!

:biggrin:

That is an impressive collection. I saw a picture of the partwork model car online but I had no idea where it came from. This and the cool backdrop inspired me to photograph the car on the "actual" Bond Street. I know Dave from Star Wars but I did not know that he was also working on the AM. (... hmm, I guess we need a thumbsup smiley ;) )

Alright then. I thought it would not be buildable at this scale but the Q in me wanted to give it a try:

DSCF1359.jpg

Two parts and one paperclip.

DSCF1360.jpg

Q at work...

DSCF1361.jpg

There are three different number plates on the triangular block.

DSCF1362.jpg

Since they shot the movie in Switzerland I'm wondering if they got inspired by a Toblerone packaging when they designed the array..! :biggrin:

DSCF1363.jpg

The housing:

DSCF1364.jpg

The wire from the paperclip was pushed through the holes. This was a bit tricky since I was unable to look inside the box.

DSCF1365.jpg

In the end I cut off one side of the box, pushed it over the wire and glued it down again.

DSCF1366.jpg

The same was done with the housing:

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1369.jpg

To make sure that the wire does not get lost I wrapped some paper strips around the ends.

DSCF1371.jpg

And the moment of truth:

DSCF1373.gif

A revolving number plate in 1/18th scale, ready for installing! :)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Very good 007. I'm sure Q branch would be very proud... A nice addition...makes me want to make it even more now!

...and have just seen Playmobil have released a cool rendition of the car and Lego Store in London had a full size Lego version at their shop to promote the little Speed Champions release.
1661281038703.png
1661280876556.png