"Flying Dutchman" - Ghost Ship - OREL Russian Paper Model Build

mtrappett

Hi all,

I found another model that I just had to build. It's hit me the same way as it did with other models like the Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang and U.F.O. Interceptor. I just had to have it! I ordered it directly from the Russian. OREL Web Site. I LOVE this model! It's beautifully made and designed.

Just a reminder of what this ship is from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie:

POTC (AWE) - The Return of the Dutchman Part 1

017.JPG018.JPG019.JPG020.JPG021.JPG022.JPG023.JPG024.JPG025.JPG026.JPG027.JPG028.JPG029.JPG030.JPG031.JPG032.JPG033.JPG034.JPG035.JPG036.JPG

mtrappett

I am just in the early stages of the build right now. I have the main hull structure assembly with the bulkheads, and the keel in place. I am really glad I ordered the additional packages for the laser-cut parts as they are super-accurately cut out from different thicknesses of cardboard.

037.JPG038.JPG039.JPG040.JPG
041.JPG

There are several thicknesses of the card needed for the structure of the ship. Without the laser-cut pieces its necessary to laminate the parts onto the card. Thicknesses of card are 2.00mm, 1.00mm and so on are needed.

042.JPG043.JPG044.JPG

One of the lower deck ships cannon's. These are hidden eventually so they are simplified versions of the cannons on the other decks.

045.JPG

its very important to sand the edges of the lateral reinforcements (horizontals) to the correct angle to match the bulkheads to enable the panels to sit flat and not be distorted causing bumps and irregularities in the smooth shape.

046.JPG047.JPG048.JPG049.JPG
050.JPG

The panels are a very good fit, if not a little challenging to make sure they are aligned properly.
051.JPG052.JPG

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That looks impressive! It will be a beauty when finished. I'm "Hook'd"! ;)

BTW, it's funny to see it labelled under "war fleet"! :D

mtrappett

It looks like you are off to a great start on this project!!!
Thank you Rhaven! I find building these models really takes me out of myself. Something which is very much appreciated these days. I was working on a personal project in Maya 2022 creating a 3D model of the Pink Panthermobile that I also started converting to a paper model. That really burnt me out though. I have had to take a break from it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The ship has fair lines to it. It should be quite impressive. Is there a skinning over the initial placement of the hull pieces/ I imagine there would be. It will remove any "skeleton" effect. This is really going to come out great! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you Rhaven! I find building these models really takes me out of myself. Something which is very much appreciated these days. I was working on a personal project in Maya 2022 creating a 3D model of the Pink Panthermobile that I also started converting to a paper model. That really burnt me out though. I have had to take a break from it.
I too find building models to be therapeutic. I too have found that focusing on building models takes me out of the "real world" and helps sharpen and clear my mind.
I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

mtrappett

The ship has fair lines to it. It should be quite impressive. Is there a skinning over the initial placement of the hull pieces/ I imagine there would be. It will remove any "skeleton" effect. This is really going to come out great! :)
Hi Zahros. Great to hear from you. Yes, you are correct. There is skinning over the parts. I'm just in the process of adding those guys. They are all butt jointed together and there are zero tabs on this model so that should help keep it smooth and all. The instructions for the model are in broken Russian language and are very terse and pretty much one-liners. There are 2 pages of text for the whole model :eek:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Cool thread!

Thanks for introducing the model [looks interesting] and even more, providing a detailed build thread.

Great work!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
If anyone can pull it off, you other models show that it will be you! :)

mtrappett

Thank you all for the encouraging words and I hope that this thread will be of some use to anyone else that would like their own Flying Dutchman :)

The panels don't require any water to get the shape I have found. I first butt-jointed the edges of the splices and held them with small pieces of Magic Tape. Then I applied some white glue to the seams. After they dried, I used my finger nail to flatten the joint nice and flat and smooth. Gluing the panel, I started at the top of the panel just about 3/8" section glued in place. I then waited for that to dry, and then pasted the remaining piece of the panel. The paper thickness seems perfectly matched to the task and doesn't get sogged out with the glue keeping its shape really nicely. I found that so long as I pre-shaped the panel as best as possible firstly, it would fit pretty much perfectly. I just completed one side at a time starting a 1P thru 10P, and then 1L thru 10L. Note that P is right and L is left I found out.

IMPORTANT: There are delicate vertical protrusions on some of the bulkheads that eventually support the decking. I found that these get bent up pretty easily while working on the panels and adding the cannons and so on. I was horrified to see that one of them was almost flattened :eek: Anyway, I suggest using some scrap card to create some protective supports to help avoid damage. The small clothes-pins are from Walmart and work great for the temporary supports. I also painted on some super-glue to strengthen the pieces a bit.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG

Panels completed!! Ah, time for a cup of coffee to celebrate! Sanding the edges of the flat lateral supports is very important to ensure a nice surface for gluing the panels. On a wooden ship, I think we would use a spokeshave to smooth the edges of the wood to the right angle. In the case here I found a small 3M soft sanding block 320F worked good and a fingernail file/sanding stick. Just be careful not to overdo it! Only remove the absolute least material to get the smooth edge. Its easy to gouge the card unintentionally.

009.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You are doing a FANTASTIC job on this project! Yes, I can see this becoming a very good guide for all who are interested in trying their hand at building this model!

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
She is a beauty! Going to look great I'm sure.

My only gripe with this ship is the way Disney played very fast and loose with the true legend of the Flying Dutchman for the Pirates movies.