England Expects...

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Tragically one of my older, favourite plastic models was destroyed when my dad fell on it. Long story, don't ask.

Well ,that the nail in the coffin, thanks to my ex this model was damaged by standing unprotected in the South African sun and the masts in particular lost their shape.

I'm due a bit of money soon, so once that comes in I will return to the origins of my modelling career and be replacing and rebuilding the one, the only HMS Victory! (plastic Airfix kit)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad that you are able to find a replacement for the one that you lost. I look forward to seeing the build.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I'll second Rhaven's statement. would love to see a build thread on one.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Have you considered redoing the masts inn wood. A dowell and sandpaper, and you have masts. If too much else ws melted, but it would look neat having a diorama of a ship under repair, and the fully built model berthed next to it. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
It was sun damaged and then my dad fell over it, and sadly destroyed (really, it's in pieces and the rigging is now a mess)

That said I like the idea of doing the masts in wood instead of plastic when I get the kit....

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WOW! That is quite a bit of damage! I have faith in your skills and abilities that you can rebuild it and make it stronger.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
So I have finally got my hands on the kit and would really appreciate some suggestions regarding the sails.

IMG_20210520_132225.jpg

They are injection moulded and I'm not happy with how the furled sails appear from behind. So, suggestions on how I can get a nice "full" look?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some fabric cut to shape and draped should do the trick. You could soak the fabric in sugar water and put it into the plastic mould. The water will evaporate and the sugar should keep the fabric in shape. Maybe there is another way to shape it like using hairspray or such. Pay attention to the scale when choosing a suitable fabric. The waving pattern and thickness should not make it look out of place. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
OK, I'm back with this build, it's going to be sporadic due to a variety of reasons. I found some nice fabric which (to me) looks perfect.

I used "modge podge" from my daughter's decopague set and I quite like the result!

IMG_20230415_092621.jpg

The Modge podge has taken the texture that is on the plastic! :cool:

IMG_20230415_092627.jpg

I'm really happy with this outcome! I coated the plastic with the modge podge, laid the material over it and gently smoothed it over, getting any bubbles out. I waited about 10 minutes and applied a coat of modge podge over the material, rubbing it in with my fingers. As you can see I've only done the billowed sails. The ones that are furled I will cut and furl manually (that's going to be fun.... :) ) then the modge podge treatment as well. I can see me using a brush for those....

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You could make a model using the hull, of the ship in dry dock.. :)