England Expects...

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Are the Humbrol enamel, lacquer, or acrylic? Even the enamel Tamiya pains are a proprietary blend, and not straight enamels. I have switched over to all acrylics, and the strongest solvent I need now is alcohol, I keep 91% isopropyl on my desk and denatured in the shed.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I always put a dull, satin, or gloss clear coat when using Tamiya paints. I've never had a problem with them rubbing off like that. It makes me think, "Did you wash that plastic model before you started assembling it?". There may have been injection mold residue on it. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I agree. Humbrol paints are better. Tamiya is not as good a it was in the 1980's. I don't know why, but their quality has diminished. I used to use Tamiya Liquid Glue for windshields, and I used it for a Kaman Husky helicopter model. The fumes off of it clouded the glass. It destroyed a very expensive model. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This will make for an extremely nice shelf piece. It will draw much attention. ;)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
They generally do Zathros :) . All around 30+ years ago I've built;

Revell - Columbus fleet (Nina, Pinta & Santa Marai)
Airfix - Discovery (Scott's ship), HMS Bounty (destroyed :( ) Wasa (destroyed but have a new kit :)), Cutty Sark, HMS Prince, HMS Sovereign, Mayflower, HMS Nelson, British MTB, Golden Hinde. They're all on display in my, or my family's lounges

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I built the Cutty Sark, my Mom hand it on the mantle piece for many years. The cat jumped up and got caught up in the rigging. See destroyed the model. I loved that cat, so I didn't even get mad. I have built some racing yachts, but they were R/C and I gave them away as gifts. I have an "America" class left. I'd like to build it, but I can't afford the RC components right now. It's huge! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
If you had asked for RC gear 4 years ago John, I could have given you a JRPropo R1 FM PCM 3 channel controller, receiver, and servos... but I have since relegated all to an acquaintance I worked with at the time...

Reactions: zathros