Dr. Tetrode - Valkryie Build II - attempt with color.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Full image allows you to add the pictures in certain positions of the post, thumbnails always appear at the bottom of the post. Full image is best for explaining build steps because you can add comments and descriptions right before or after the illustrating image.

I guess you are more wondering about the picture size. It is best to scale your images down to a max of 1200 x 1200 pix before posting. Gallery pictures may be bigger though. I use 800 x 800 pix which I think does the job nicely. You may use a batch converter for resizing. Gimp has one and PhotoFiltre comes with a very easy to use converter. :)

Sudsy

Sep 29, 2018
GIMP works great for scaling down the images.

GIMP Scale Image a.PNG
GIMP Scale Image b.PNG

I like to keep the Width and Height linked (default when you select this command) as well as the resolutions. Being an American, I prefer pixels per inch as it corresponds to DPI quite nicely in my head. 96 down to about 72 dpi (or ppi) is 'good enough' for most web images to save on bandwidth and still have nice quality in the images.

zealot insert.PNG

A - where to attach the image, and B where to insert (which will give the choice to insert as a Full Image or Thumbnail), and the insert point will be where you typing cursor last was.

I always did enjoy how my Zealot threads could help me pick up right where I left off on my models. Unless of course, I lost parts and have to build new ones (thankfully, with paper card models, that is so easy to do as long as I have paper and ink in my printer).

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
One reminder: I would always keep the original pictures, just in case you need them at a later date for instructions, presentations or other edits. So always work with a copy. ;)

Reactions: mijob

Sudsy

Sep 29, 2018
One reminder: I would always keep the original pictures, just in case you need them at a later date for instructions, presentations or other edits. So always work with a copy. ;)
The good thing about GIMP, if you happen to just 'save' a file, it defaults to it's native XCF file format... Which reminds me to always "Export as..." a new JPG when I scale down my images! I do keep the raw photos as well as 'web ready' exports as well.

Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Indeed! It was a bit tough to get used to that but in retrospect it makes sense because every specialized program saves files in its native file format. And since XCF is Gimp's native format it was just a matter of time till the makers implemented that. I find the latest version even more stable on Windows 10. Gimp 2.2.17 likes to freeze and crash when it tries to open a file stored in a folder with several hundreds of files.

Reactions: mijob