Coupes I'm working on

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
These were inspired from a couple of simpler models, but really nice, designed by Mauther, from Papermau, an excellent site I highly recommend visiting often.

This is where I am with them. I just don't know if anyone would be interested . It doesn't fly in space, and it is mostly out of my head, inspired by Mauther . They have a way to go, but the bodies easily unfold, as does every part on them. :nailbiting:

Possibilities.jpg Possibilities2.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That's a great response! I have to make the engine and drive train, rear leaf springs, or 4 Bar link rear end, and at least build it once. I'll definitely send you the first one to try, put a swatch of the color you would like it and one for the interior, and floor. I plans to have suicide doors on it. The front suspension is done as are the frame rails, and there really is nothing fancy about the build. It could be built without the fenders, and I probably will have a convertible version to 'Hot Rod" it. :)

Last edited:

Chris74

Not just classic vintage cars, but classy, too. In fact, I consider these retro cars the most classy locomotion things ever - except, of course, the sedan chair, which is supreme. :noteeth: I'd love to see these ones being built, in fact I have a 'fever' for a few days to try designing a Ford Model T truck, of course, with my poor skills based only on Photoshop.

Last edited:

Lee Clifton

Wisdom and Kindness, A Zealot Sage
Nice cars Zathros. I'd love to rescale one of these to go in one of my 6 inch action figure displays. I'm planning a comic book character based in the 1930s with Nickolas Tesla as one of the characters. Great design work.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I am inspired by your comments. I will continue to work on this. I plan for much detail, to make it a fun and allow for customization of the model. The engine panels will open with piano style hinges. Stay tuned! Thanks! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool project and even cooler models! It's good to see you back in modeling. Keep up the great work (and please don't forget that certain van we talked about some time ago ;) )! :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
@Revelle Fan, the Van is, it's still there.

I have revised the cars fender lines. There will be many revisions till it looks just right. The one on the left, the Red Coupe has revised smaller fenders. This gives room for the exhaust pipes, or louvers to show. I also plan to add small windows on the sides, just behind the passenger heads. I am tempted to make them round. Going to have to play around to see what feels right. (My spelling sucks!) :)

Coupe Compare.jpg

Last edited:

Lee Clifton

@Revelle Fan, the Van is, it's still there.

I have revised the cars fender lines. There will be many revisions till it looks just right. The one on the left, the Red Coupe has revised smaller fenders. This gives room for the exhaust pipes, or louvers to show. I also plan to add small windows on the sides, just behind the passenger heads. I am tempted to make them round. Going to have to play around to see what feels right. (My spelling sucks!) :)

View attachment 146998
I kind of like the larger fenders. Some how it looks more classic. But thats just me. I like both designs.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Lee, I like the large fenders too. I think I will include both of them. This car has a back seat. I am using a scale figurine with bendable positions to make sure the proportions are right. I can scale it to whatever size is wanted, that's not an issue. It's really not a "coupe' so I am going to make another body, same one, but shortened so that is is a two seat with just a bit of space in the back. Flat fenders would look nice on the hot Rod. In Connecticut, you cannot register a car unless it has fenders,. If you take them off and cruise around, you will get pulled over and cited, and if the cop is being a jerk, they can make you run it through inspection again. That can really open up a can of worms. Connecticut has a sh*tload of "Blue Laws' that are there to bust your a$$. The first time I had my midget inspected, the guy goes, "Oh, you think your going to pas that through here?", and gets a huge floor jack. I told him, "You break the floor of that car because you're using the wrong kind of jack and I will sue you personally, and the DMV". The head of that station came out, he was really a nice guy, he takes a mirror on a stick says to his underling, "What's the matter with you?, You can look under with this!". He then pops open the engine, I start to get worried, no air pump, no stock anything, not one bit of pollution control crap. They run it and it comes out clean as a whistle as far as emissions are concerned, he then says, bring it up to 2000 r.p.m.s, adjusts the ignition timing a bit the, he advanced it).

I have blueprinted the engine, put a hot cam (just 10 degrees more duration, a Kent Cam), forged pistons, higher compression, and a side draft DCOE WEBER 40MM Carb, shot peened the Rods to stress relieve them, a Mallory Dual Point Distributor, all kinds of neat stuff. He said he really liked the car and hadn't seen one in quite some time. He also said that would be the last time that car went through emissions as it was considered exempt, starting the next year! My Midget and 450SL (which needs to really be restored) are emissions exempt, and qualify for "Classic" car plates. I know of only one other Midget around here, and I saw it a month ago, at Harbor Freight. The guy did a great job but did nothing to the engine?

I did 105 mph in my Midget, the transmission sounded like it was going to explode! That's the weak point in the car. I had a friend in a Corvette right next to me and we were talking, comparing speeds. Talk about wind buffeting, I could barely hear him!!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, adding both fenders as alternative parts will rock! The Hotrod version simplifies the build immensely - you won't have to think about the shape of the little windows. ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
They're all getting the engine hood louvers, they pivot. Of course, I am putting an engine in there, so some may elect to remove the side panels, then no louvers. Funny how when you start working on something you end up with something else.

Thinking of the way the British did stuff, I made a version in that line, a bit smaller, the wheel base is shorter though it tracks the same. :) :)Doodling (Mau).jpg

Lee Clifton

Very COOL Zathros! Love the design so far. I was looking for a 1/12 scale 1938 Cord plastic model kit to use as a prop for an action figure comic book I'm working on but I may just wait and customize one of your cars. I'm working on a government agent who is assigned to be Nickolas Tesla's bodyguard. Due to one of Tesla's experiments going wrong during a kidnap attempt the agent becomes the WRAITH. A white ghost version of the SHADOW with a skull face mask that looks like a tattoo. I'm already building a custom version of Gary Pilsworth's 1930 Henderson Motorcycle to use. Plans and sketches are in place for a wall mounted downtown New York city 1930s art deco set to photograph the figures in for the comic.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Oh man you gotta post pics of that!!
The Cord was one of my favorite cars. It is the ONLY front wheel drive car I like!!

I think we have a lot of gear heads here!! Chevy or Ford? I don't want to start a war. I will probably base the engine off of a Chevy 350 V-8. :)

Lee Clifton

Oh man you gotta post pics of that!!
The Cord was one of my favorite cars. It is the ONLY front wheel drive car I like!!

I think we have a lot of gear heads here!! Chevy or Ford? I don't want to start a war. I will probably base the engine off of a Chevy 350 V-8. :)
I've learned on the web and in life to just go with the flow and "don't take sides". I'm open for any kind of engine. By the way I'm still looking for the 1/12 scale Cord plastic kit. So far I keep getting out bid on Ebay. I've got a toy show coming up in three weeks and I'm checking there. I love the Cord too. Hideaway headlights and front wheel drive. Doc Savage's movie wasn't too good in the 70s with Ron Ely but he had a Cord convertible and the Shadow had a taxi cab Cord sedan. Loved them both. I don't think I've ever seen a paper model of a cord. Maybe someone here will tackle that one.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
The Cord was truly far ahead of it's time. It will always be beautiful. :)

@Dan, never owned anything with the name FORD on it. I've always found there front ends were designed so the steering knuckles would go bad (Ford Explorer), and this problem extended to other vehicles., which gives Ford a different feel, at the expense of reliability. I also knew quite a few people that had those vans that made the serpentine belt fall off on sharp left (or) right hand turns, and I cannot imagine how that is related to suspension, or turning. That is the only vehicle I have heard that happening too. New York City made Ford take back all their newly purchased ambulances because they could not fix the problem reliably. That was big in the new some years back. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Well, I realized I had to literally come to a complete stop, and start building the suspension and frame. I have the front end suspension done. I like it. I think it will do. ;)

MSUSP 1.jpg MSUSP 2.jpg MSUSP 3.jpg

Tonino

The wonderful is the number of variations on a same theme.
Zathros, you're a true musician!